How do you make an air tight room?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJ12Gamer

Hey guys how do you make a air tight room?

Wow so my question got a question? FTW?!?! Anyone know how to make a air tight room like CGE or something?

line it with space blankets and use aluminum tape at the seems is an Idea that comes to mind

line it with space blankets and use aluminum tape at the seems is an Idea that comes to mind

Thanks any other suggestions guys?

Buy a grow tent. They have them cheap on eBay. You could get a decent sized one for about $100 plus shipping costs.

Buy a grow tent. They have them cheap on eBay. You could get a decent sized one for about $100 plus shipping costs.

Ummm no thanks.... But I would like to know an answer to the topic.... Thanks....

Basically the theory of an air tight room is impossible. Plywood, sheet rock, etc are all porus to a degree. You could build a box out of metal (steel, stailess, aluminum, etc. Fully weld all seems and use NEMA gasketing for a door. Or you could have a box rotomolded in plastic, or hand lay up a fibergrass box. Concrete may be another option but you will need walls several inches thick to be truly air tight.

Now why do you want/need an air tight room? Odor control?

Basically the theory of an air tight room is impossible. Plywood, sheet rock, etc are all porus to a degree. You could build a box out of metal (steel, stailess, aluminum, etc. Fully weld all seems and use NEMA gasketing for a door. Or you could have a box rotomolded in plastic, or hand lay up a fibergrass box. Concrete may be another option but you will need walls several inches thick to be truly air tight.

Now why do you want/need an air tight room? Odor control?

Thank you for the idea of NEMA gasketing.... That's actually something I was looking for! Thank you screwnuts!

air tight room? sounds like a smell issue, right? :scratchinghead:

:hippy:

I make sure all the widows are shut and the door is closed! No really, make sure you have good weatherstripping and seals around the door and windows. You could chaulk under the baseboards but that's work and not temporary. If you are concerned about loss in this area, I recommend gaff tape. It's used in the entertainment industry, is tough as nails and removes clean. Expensive though.

A CGE doesn't need to be airtight, it's just the better your seal the more effecient. As long as you're able to control your environment and maintain the levels consistantly, you're good.

If the CGE (Controlled Grow Environment) is to keep pests out, unless you're gowning up in a bunny suit and walking through an air shower vestibule to get into the room, you'll still risk pests. Air tight just lost all value. Changing clothes, grooming and washing up before entering is really all you need to do to be ultra safe.

If it's for odors, same deal. You open that door after 24 hours of flowering there's gonna be a big stinky puff of skunk that will knock trees down. You need a carbon filter if odor is the concern.

You risk mold without fresh air. Plus, with the electronics in the ballasts or even the lights, fans, whatever else you have the air will get stale and toxic over time. Not a big deal if you're in and out of the room often, bringing in the outside air you've worked so hard to keep out.

Always keeping your room clean of loose grow media, spilled nutes and water, miscellaneous debris and supplies; as well as cleaning the walls, ceiling and floors with bleach and / or other disinfectants between grows is important to mitigate crop killers.

Bottom line is the idea about a HEPA filtered intake (and a normal fan/filter configuration described and diagrammed hundreds of times in these forums) and a roll of duct tape to seal any seams you may have, along with gasketing the doors and installing a good threshold with a seal; along with all of the other things you need to do anyway, listed above, and you should be good to go.

FreakNature thanks for tha informative input!

air tight rooms are a bad idea because of MOLD...there are positive air-pressure rooms aka clean rooms..no MOLD...and no possabilty of dust or pollen.and add a hepa-filter at your exaust with carbon filter.recycle the exaust injecting co2.plants have constant air flow with added co2...just a medicated opinion from a former clean room builder:smokin::rollit::thedoubletake::passitleft:

air tight rooms are a bad idea because of MOLD...there are positive air-pressure rooms aka clean rooms..no MOLD...and no possabilty of dust or pollen.and add a hepa-filter at your exaust with carbon filter.recycle the exaust injecting co2.plants have constant air flow with added co2...just a medicated opinion from a former clean room builder:smokin::rollit::thedoubletake::passitleft:

No thank you....

Man I wish I could lock or close a thread.... Cause I already got the answers I want....

Not so Far Fetched. Accutally a Good Idea

Y is almost everyone in this thread acting like something is wrong with wanting an airtight or sealed room? This is the best way to maintain consistently stable environmental controls. I don't see anything wrong with it.Personally with the right insulation and sealants/caulking U should be fine. Finish (sheet rock ur room) and seal the seams (corners) with silicone or some type of caulking.. If u use co2 this will greatly help contain it and keep co2 levels in a desirable range (easier). Filter ur intake air and don't wear clothes that u've worn outside in that room and no pets. Hope this helps and adds to what U've already gathered here. Take care and be easy bro. :peace:

Re: Not so Far Fetched. Accutally a Good Idea

Y is almost everyone in this thread acting like something is wrong with wanting an airtight or sealed room? This is the best way to maintain consistently stable environmental controls. I don't see anything wrong with it.Personally with the right insulation and sealants/caulking U should be fine. Finish (sheet rock ur room) and seal the seams (corners) with silicone or some type of caulking.. If u use co2 this will greatly help contain it and keep co2 levels in a desirable range (easier). Filter ur intake air and don't wear clothes that u've worn outside in that room and no pets. Hope this helps and adds to what U've already gathered here. Take care and be easy bro. :peace:

Thanks BWC BayArea! And your right about the other people. And thanks again for more informative input. It really helps a lot for me and other people that wants to know about this. :grinjoint:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom