How is my set up & other questions

Almost anything white will reflect the light you need. What you want is somethig that will reflect the most UV light that you budget alloys yet wont burn your plants. ( Im currently using tin foil, My bad, but Ill correct this)
So, in order to get the most reflected light from the sides top and bottom, is to use a 'flat' or 'semi" white material that has a flat surface isnt crinkled that would create a hot spot, and is cheap. Even white tag board would work. Its $0.50 each at Target.
The entire idea is to reflect as much as you can afford without burning(creating hot spots)
Im using tin foil, like I siad...cause Im lazy and cheap atm, but I also turn my plants every hour. I work from home so i have the advantage of doing this.

Almost anything white will reflect the light you need. What you want is somethig that will reflect the most UV light that you budget alloys yet wont burn your plants. ( Im currently using tin foil, My bad, but Ill correct this)
So, in order to get the most reflected light from the sides top and bottom, is to use a 'flat' or 'semi" white material that has a flat surface isnt crinkled that would create a hot spot, and is cheap. Even white tag board would work. Its $0.50 each at Target.
The entire idea is to reflect as much as you can afford without burning(creating hot spots)
Im using tin foil, like I said...cause Im lazy and cheap atm, but I also turn my plants every hour. I work from home so i have the advantage of doing this.

I have read that you use the dull side of tin foil for a reflective surface, because it doesn't form hot spots, even if crinkled. If you're using CFLs, hot spots won't be an issue, because they put out so little heat, and even that dissipates after about 3" away from the bulb.

I currently am using cheapo poly white tarps for the walls, but I could use tin foil above the lights to reflect more light downward.

And.....
As far as heat goes with CFLs. Every manufacturer of bulbs is different. I had one plant with a cfl that was 2" away and it got hot, and another that was 6 " a way that got hot. You really need to check each bulb/manufacturer...use your hand to gauge.

Back
Top Bottom