How long can you store nutrient solutions

Tedmarx38

I grow weary of mixing one gallon at a time the day I fertilize my plants, and want to start pre-mixing in a four gallon jug. I’m wondering how stable this solution will be though as I would be using it over a two week period.

Contents are: tap water (virtually RO as it comes from a spring) with ph corrected to 6.3 with citric acid powder; 10-30-20 granulated Jack’s mix; cal mag and Epsom (I realize this overlaps with cal mag but I use equal parts of the two so that I’m not sulphur free).

Many thanks in advance!

You should be OK for a week or so, store in a cool dark place. The PH may fall a bit, so retest before using to verify. Also check the container to make sure nothing has precipated out. You're lucky to have spring water with with no dissolved solids, my spring water is 400-1400 ppm's out the tap, depending on the well they're drawing from.

I grow weary of mixing one gallon at a time the day I fertilize my plants, and want to start pre-mixing in a four gallon jug. I’m wondering how stable this solution will be though as I would be using it over a two week period.

Contents are: tap water (virtually RO as it comes from a spring) with ph corrected to 6.3 with citric acid powder; 10-30-20 granulated Jack’s mix; cal mag and Epsom (I realize this overlaps with cal mag but I use equal parts of the two so that I’m not sulphur free).

Many thanks in advance!
I don't think you can go more than a few days like this before components react together and start dropping out. If it were possible to put all of these elements together in a bottle without interaction, there would be no need for chelation. Four specific elements are very reactive though, so the manufacturers have to protect them against interaction with a chelation shell so that it can be shipped to you or sit on the shelf for a year or so.

When you mix in a bucket, and pH adjust so that the chelation shell drops away, you ignite WWIII in that bucket. In a couple of days, that mix will not be what it was when initially mixed up. It can still be used of course, but a number of somethings will no longer be in there as designed. It is best of course to use your mix as soon as you have mixed it up so the roots can immediately soak up what you put in there before all this interaction takes place.

Contents are: tap water (virtually RO as it comes from a spring) with ph corrected to 6.3 with citric acid powder;
What was mentioned in the results when you had the well water tested?

I am thinking that since you have to use citric acid to correct the pH down to 6.3 that there is a good chance that the water is alkaline to start and that often means minerals.

Thanks all. The ph at the faucet is about 8.2 or so. I did have it analyzed when we put a hot tub in several years ago but I wasn’t a grower then and don’t recall the specifics. I know it’s fairly bland tho as I have had to use a lot of hardness enhancer and ph decrease in the tub all along.

I don't think you can go more than a few days like this before components react together and start dropping out. If it were possible to put all of these elements together in a bottle without interaction, there would be no need for chelation. Four specific elements are very reactive though, so the manufacturers have to protect them against interaction with a chelation shell so that it can be shipped to you or sit on the shelf for a year or so.

When you mix in a bucket, and pH adjust so that the chelation shell drops away, you ignite WWIII in that bucket. In a couple of days, that mix will not be what it was when initially mixed up. It can still be used of course, but a number of somethings will no longer be in there as designed. It is best of course to use your mix as soon as you have mixed it up so the roots can immediately soak up what you put in there before all this interaction takes place.
Rats. Looks like I’m sticking to the gallon jugs. Thanks.

Quite a while. Definitely longer than most would admit. I never cared. I mix 5 gallons at a time and use it as needed. Sometimes it look corrugated on top but it’s nothing my drill and mixer can’t fix. This is my setup. It’ll set like this until it’s used
BA6FEC54-C6AB-4261-8AFA-B5FAA135B9E7.jpeg
3541D7BE-3782-41B6-896C-959360DF8D1C.jpeg

I’ve always read that premixing and then left sitting for a few days has ability to bloom nasties… I’d say fresh water is always better since it will have more dissolved oxygen,

the only premixing I do is filling 5 gallon bucket water and adding mosquito bits to soak in overnite or adding mycos or recharge, then I draw from that bucket to fill a 1 gallon jug, then add my nutes in last.

But sounds like Jose does it with no adverse effects

Back
Top Bottom