How to deal with runoff water in 10 gallon smart pot

Hdinkleman

Hey guys can i get a few ideas on how to deal with runoff?
like is there a do it yourself solution to raising the plant above my saucer or should i try a small shop vac?
i dont have a shop vac yet id have to buy one and trying to spend as little money as possible, im regretting using a pot this big, the plant is very heavy after watering and i have just been letting it reabsorb the waste water within a day or two

I pump out my drip trays with a home made extractor. There are wand style battery operated pumps available through Princess Auto here in Canada or through Amazon. I used one for my first few grows.

You could place two or three bricks between the pot and drainage saucer. This will make absorbing/cleaning the runoff a bit easier.

I pump out my drip trays with a home made extractor. There are wand style battery operated pumps available through Princess Auto here in Canada or through Amazon. I used one for my first few grows.

old salt you are very wise, im going to check that out now. always enjoy seeing your posts.

You could place two or three bricks between the pot and drainage saucer. This will make absorbing/cleaning the runoff a bit easier.

great idea, going to get a few bricks tomorrow, i never would of thought that.
for some reason my mind was thinking more like wood pieces, but i kept not doing it because figured the wood would mold

84E5F566-6367-4E6F-9A12-1E95CB62468F.jpeg

a wire rack was my solution with a tray underneath i can slide out to pour away
id like to make some that are a little stronger at some point. these are just cake racks lol
holding up well with 10l pots but i think for larger ones you would need somethig a little more solid

id like to make some that are a little stronger at some point. these are just cake racks lol
Try BBQ grills. I replaced the junk rack in my roasting pan with one. They are not hard to bend, and much stronger.

Try BBQ grills. I replaced the junk rack in my roasting pan with one. They are not hard to bend, and much stronger.
great idea!! never thought of those!

If you want to go lo budget,and have the time,a turkey baster or 2 will work to suck the water out.

The above are just a few of the reasons I prefer plastic pots to fabric. :)

yeah i have all the sizes airpots ( plastic) up to 5.5 gallon.
reason i chose the 10gallon smart pot is because the width is bigger.
bigger width= wider plant
the stems will reach root width more normally

I use three upside down plastic pots under each fabric pot. Used to use wooden 2x2 but found it not very sanitary.. All inside a deep heavy duty boot tray and suck it up with a shop vac. The worst is getting it outside to empty since it's one of the bigger vacs. Great ideas here!

How long do you plan on vegging? You can easily grow a plant that produces 8 zips or more in a 3gallon air pot.

already vegged its in day 14 flower today, check my journal
was trying to grow a lb plant, have a small tent so i out it in 10 gallon smart pot just so the roots had more than enough space to grow into if they grew more. yeah think next grow sticking with the airpots, the plant has overgrown the tent already, im hoping stretch is just about done

I don't know if there is a Home Depot where you live but I purchased a mini shop vac head that snaps on top of a 5 gallon bucket and works really really well. It was only 25 or $30 U.S. I water my plants until the runoff stops which usually takes 30 minutes and then vacuum out the Run-off

Another thing that makes "sucking" the water out easily is, elevate the back of the tent a couple of inches higher than the front. Use old scrap plywood, and put it under the tent. This way, the water will run to one area, and you have an easier/quicker time removing it.

I don't know if there is a Home Depot where you live but I purchased a mini shop vac head that snaps on top of a 5 gallon bucket and works really really well. It was only 25 or $30 U.S. I water my plants until the runoff stops which usually takes 30 minutes and then vacuum out the Run-off
yep there is one in the next town over, sweet if its that cheap it will solve the entire problem right there, awesome

Back
Top Bottom