How to make plants stretch more

SammyJankis

I am in the middle of my first grow, I just flipped to 12/12 and have a small problem. My plants are bearly over the pots and after I put a scrog on it is hard to water, I pour alot water fast so it covers the top and have a better chance of wetting all the soil. But it is impossible to water in the back.. Any tricks to make my next grow a bit taller so I can have just stem below and have better accsess to the surface of the soil.

20221202_204345.jpg

Veg em longer, that's the easy answer, or you could cut back on the light a bit during veg phase, that will give you more internodal space, then up the light when you flip.
This plant is 2 months, I just said F it and switched them to 12/12... I had the light way too high so they grew slow 😅 then I used 20/4 the last month to make them faster and it just grew bushier 😅

That is a nice healthy looking plant. I can't see any signs of a nutrient deficiency or a excess.

Any tricks to make my next grow a bit taller so I can have just stem below and have better accsess to the surface of the soil.
Let's see, put more soil, or whatever your grow medium is, in the pot. Bring the soil level up so it is only about 1 inch below the rim of the bag. The plant will still be the same height but will sit a bit higher than the rim of the pot giving more room to get underneath. There is a wrinkle in the side of the pot which is usually an indication that not enough soil was used nor was it tamped down. There could be an area of loose soil there. Sometimes it is OK and sometimes the soil in that area is loose enough that it will not soak up water properly.

I pour alot water fast so it covers the top and have a better chance of wetting all the soil. But it is impossible to water in the back..
Pour less water at a time and let it soak into the soil. Come back a half hour or an hour later and give it some more. That gives the soil more time to absorb water and can avoid dry areas. But, so far the plant does not look like it has any watering related problems.

To get to the back use a small watering can with a long spout. That will help pinpoint the area where you want the water to go since the spout will reach the back.

I had the light way too high so they grew slow 😅 then I used 20/4 the last month to make them faster and it just grew bushier
Looking good and it does not seem like the plant was growing slow. If that is just one plant in that cloth pot I have to ask if you topped it somewhere along the way to create more growing tips.

As @Phytoplankton mentions leave the plant in a vegetating stage for awhile longer. Then when ready to change the light schedule think about removing some of the lowest leaves to open it up a bit under the canopy. Just remove the bare minimum needed to be able to get the water where you want. No advantage to removing too many leaves.

Any tricks to make my next grow.....
You could consider skipping the net next time. If those new plants are short and bushy the net might not accomplish much anyway.

If you do want to use the net then figure out a way to use a smaller piece and anchor each piece to one pot. That way if you have to move the pot to get to the back then the net moves along with it.

None the less, just some things to think about while your current plants are going into flowering. And yes, what you have there right now is nice and healthy looking.

That is a nice healthy looking plant. I can't see any signs of a nutrient deficiency or a excess.

Let's see, put more soil, or whatever your grow medium is, in the pot. Bring the soil level up so it is only about 1 inch below the rim of the bag. The plant will still be the same height but will sit a bit higher than the rim of the pot giving more room to get underneath. There is a wrinkle in the side of the pot which is usually an indication that not enough soil was used nor was it tamped down. There could be an area of loose soil there. Sometimes it is OK and sometimes the soil in that area is loose enough that it will not soak up water properly.

Pour less water at a time and let it soak into the soil. Come back a half hour or an hour later and give it some more. That gives the soil more time to absorb water and can avoid dry areas. But, so far the plant does not look like it has any watering related problems.

To get to the back use a small watering can with a long spout. That will help pinpoint the area where you want the water to go since the spout will reach the back.

Looking good and it does not seem like the plant was growing slow. If that is just one plant in that cloth pot I have to ask if you topped it somewhere along the way to create more growing tips.

As @Phytoplankton mentions leave the plant in a vegetating stage for awhile longer. Then when ready to change the light schedule think about removing some of the lowest leaves to open it up a bit under the canopy. Just remove the bare minimum needed to be able to get the water where you want. No advantage to removing too many leaves.

You could consider skipping the net next time. If those new plants are short and bushy the net might not accomplish much anyway.

If you do want to use the net then figure out a way to use a smaller piece and anchor each piece to one pot. That way if you have to move the pot to get to the back then the net moves along with it.

None the less, just some things to think about while your current plants are going into flowering. And yes, what you have there right now is nice and healthy looking.
Thank you for all the advice!

It is just one plant in this pot and it was growing bit slow due to some issues with the light, but shes fine now 😊

you can run more light in the blue spec during veg to get them stretching. delay training and topping for an extra two weeks would help as well. you could also run sativa dom genetics. it looks like you have a slightly indica dom hybrid there, which will hug the ground more than a sativa dom.

those plants look good. i'd be happy with them.

you can run more light in the blue spec during veg to get them stretching. delay training and topping for an extra two weeks would help as well. you could also run sativa dom genetics. it looks like you have a slightly indica dom hybrid there, which will hug the ground more than a sativa dom.

those plants look good. i'd be happy with them.
Thanks!
Yeah, this is a indica dom.

As my first ever grow I am very happy! Just a bit of a pain to water 😅

Thanks!
Yeah, this is a indica dom.

As my first ever grow I am very happy! Just a bit of a pain to water
you're doing absolute killer for a first grow.

def add more media. i see you're running fabric. what's your media ? if you're in coco you're gonna be up to feeding near daily by now. after you add the media you could lift the scrog a bit and defol some of the undergrowth, which will help with room to feed.

if they are photos you might even let it veg just a bit more, and lift the net. keep tucking the new growth under the scrog before flip. maybe @SmokingWings can weigh in again. everything he posted is spot on.

when you ask for help you should either also link to a grow journal or let us know more details. type of light, temp, rh, nutes etc.

Back
Top Bottom