420 Magazine Background

How To Reverse Sex Using Silver Thiosulfate Solution

Blazinjones

I forget where I got that but I put it in my notes awhile back.
Hey bro i was wondering if u know how to store pollen an if so how long does it stay gud for. Here is 2 tops of my pineapple express auto tht i used sts on im letting the rest stay on the plant to develop more.

This is just the pollen tht fell off while snipping leaves off to get at the nanners better.

This is after i snipped the nanners off an scrapped it into a pile.

Pennywise

Member of the Year: 2017 - Member of the Month: Mar & Oct 2017, Aug 2018, May 2019 - Plant of the Month: Aug 2017

Pennywise

Member of the Year: 2017 - Member of the Month: Mar & Oct 2017, Aug 2018, May 2019 - Plant of the Month: Aug 2017

TorturedSoul

Member of the Month: May 2009, Oct 2010, Sept 2017
This is after i snipped the nanners off an scrapped it into a pile.

In theory, probably 25,000+ potential seeds' worth of pollen in that little pile. That's why people tend to mix pollen with flour (etc.) - each of those tiny grains can fertilize one female flower - but it's pretty much impossible to apply ONE of them to a female flower. Or five, or ten, or... So people cut it. You still end up over-applying, just not so much, so it goes farther.

By the way:

So now this time with the sts im doing 2 autos and 1 photo. The autos are pineapple express and c4 from fast buds and then the photo is devil's carnival so wish me luck every1.
If that DC is the cross that Canna Montana and Nismo12 produced, it'll have the recessive auto-flowering gene in it, so you'll end up with a mix of both photoperiodic and autoflowering plants (seeds) if you cross that with an auto. <SCRATCHES HEAD> Seems like I read that they were going to do some work with it to try to end up with a reliably autoflowering cross. But I might be misremembering, and it looks like they haven't visited the forum in a while, so it might be pointless to ask them. I do believe that more than one generation of the cross got released, though (although, again, it is possible that I'm not remembering correctly).

I have one or two of those seeds in my collection. I've thought about using it in a cross with an auto variety, but it would be inconvenient to not know ahead of time which of the resulting seeds would automatically flower and which wouldn't, because I mostly have just the one space for cannabis growing. But I'm saving it for when things change in that regard (and hoping it'll still be viable at that time).

Blazinjones

In theory, probably 25,000+ potential seeds' worth of pollen in that little pile. That's why people tend to mix pollen with flour (etc.) - each of those tiny grains can fertilize one female flower - but it's pretty much impossible to apply ONE of them to a female flower. Or five, or ten, or... So people cut it. You still end up over-applying, just not so much, so it goes farther.

By the way:

If that DC is the cross that Canna Montana and Nismo12 produced, it'll have the recessive auto-flowering gene in it, so you'll end up with a mix of both photoperiodic and autoflowering plants (seeds) if you cross that with an auto. <SCRATCHES HEAD> Seems like I read that they were going to do some work with it to try to end up with a reliably autoflowering cross. But I might be misremembering, and it looks like they haven't visited the forum in a while, so it might be pointless to ask them. I do believe that more than one generation of the cross got released, though (although, again, it is possible that I'm not remembering correctly).

I have one or two of those seeds in my collection. I've thought about using it in a cross with an auto variety, but it would be inconvenient to not know ahead of time which of the resulting seeds would automatically flower and which wouldn't, because I mostly have just the one space for cannabis growing. But I'm saving it for when things change in that regard (and hoping it'll still be viable at that time).
Yea its the dc from them an no im not guna take tht pollen an put it with my autos or vice versa. What im guna do with the dc pollen is put it on another dc i have going an make some dc beans. But i also have some auto pollen tht im collecting up 2night from a pineapple express auto then 2morow ill collect some from my c4 auto also.

Pennywise

Pennywise

Blazinjones

Yes that's the way I do it, if you want to let it sit for awhile make sure it's a dry place.
Ok thanx man so much for the help. Ive been trying so hard to make auto pollen with my red poison auto beans i had from sweet seeds. An they wudnt work out either shooting blanks n each sac was empty or it wudnt even make sacs/nanners but tht was when i was using colloidal silver spray. Now im using the sts an every plant i started using it on so far has made pollen well atleast the autos have. Im also making pollen from 2 photo strains i have going currently 1 is the devil's carnival an the other is blue cheese both of which are in flower now jus starting to make buds. So it shud be really soon an then ill see some sac if it took that is lol. Also if u can help me with this as well i would greatly appreciate it. 1 do u happen to know how long the pollen will last if i keep it in a ziplock baggie with some rice in the freezer? And 2 will this rice work its long grain brown rice? And then last but not least if i was to add flour to my pollen to make it stretch out how much flour should i add to it?

This is the rice i have in question?

Pennywise

The rice should work for you, I've heard different stories about how long pollen will stay viable in the freezer but I would think a year or more. The trick is to keep dry. I mixed my pollen with flour 50/50.

Blazinjones

The rice should work for you, I've heard different stories about how long pollen will stay viable in the freezer but I would think a year or more. The trick is to keep dry. I mixed my pollen with flour 50/50.
Ok thanx well with my pineapple express auto i got so much dam pollen i dnt need to cut it lol. But my c4 auto i mite do tht since it didnt produce as much an i really really wana do some experiments with this strain so more pollen the better right lol.

Pennywise

Blazinjones

Flour will let you spread it farther no problems.
Awesome ill be adding tht in with the c4 auto pollen i have then. Cause i didnt get as much as i thought when i seen how much the pineapple express auto gave i figured the c4 wud b just as much but 1 i didnt spray as many branches dwn with the sts on the c4 as i did the pineapple. And 2 the c4 dont have as big of yields as the pineapple express do so far every single p.express ive done has yielded huge. But the c4 is a strain i wanted to preserve more cause it produces frostier buds an is just amazing for oil an concentrates. But yea i used some of the c4 pollen an dusted buds on like 3 or 4 branches of my pineapple express auto #2. Thts the one tht is turning into a super auto. Even my pineapple express #1 tht didnt get super huge like the rest still had a rediculous amount of bud so i wud still consider all my pineapple autos ive ran so far from fast buds seeds have turned to what i wud say is a super auto. They end up just as big as some of my photos an i usually pull anywhere from 3 to 4 zips so for an auto thts pretty good imo. Maybe to better growers thts not tht good but for me its great lol. Wen i wud do autos in soil organic or synthetic i wid usually only get about a zip maybe 1 ana half zips if i was lucky lol. I plan to try an auto with the hb kit soil an see how gud tht does. And ive got one going now using dyna gro nutes to see what i can pull from each method then whatever one turns out better ill do my autos that way lol.

Pennywise

Slowpuffer

Sounds good, the 2 Brooklyn's produces over a pound using Dynagro nutes.
Great thread Pennywise,
So what's the verdict ? How are these selved seeds working ? You've had time now to make several cycles, and just wondering how it worked out for you. Keep it green !! :goodjob::surf:

Pennywise

Old Salt

Member of the Month: Apr 2019
I had a lot of questions regarding STS. Since I can only work about 15 min, with a 45 min rest period I did some research on STS, including how to make, use, and store it. Here are my preliminary findings...

How STS Works:
Silver Thiosulfate (STS) is commonly used to block the action of ethylene in plant cell cultures. Ethylene is a hormone that is present in the gaseous state. Ethylene increases during senescence (aging, flower development) and ripening, and has been shown to increase in plant cell cultures due to wounding or the presence of auxins. Silver nitrate may be used alone to block the action of ethylene but it is not transported as well as STS thus is seldom used alone.

STS is the most commonly used compound, for creating stable feminized cannabis pollen. While it is not the only method, it is arguably the most commonly used and is quite reliable. Female cannabis plants require ethylene production to form female flowers. STS suppresses ethylene production in the plants, so they will produce male flowers. As the genetics are totally female, the pollen used on female flowers will result in about 99.9% female seed.

How to Make STS:
Most sources agree on the 1:5 ratio of Silver Nitrate to Sodium Thiosulfate. Some use a 1:4 ratio. Several sources state that metal implements should not be used while making STS. Some sources mention that the silver nitrate solution and STS will stain almost anything they come in contact with. I have verified this. Wear gloves and cover your work surface with wax paper. All sources agree that Silver Nitrate and Sodium Thiosulfate should be dissolved separately in distilled water. (Note: Use distilled water, or water from an RO with a de-ionizer. The TDS must be below 5 PPM. Never use tap water, as the silver nitrate and sodium thiosulfate will bond with compounds in the water rather than with each other.) Some sources use a more concentrated Silver Nitrate solution, but in the end the solution sprayed on the plants has identical silver content. Both the concentrated and diluted solutions should be clear. If they have turned brown, they should be discarded. Many sources recommend the addition of a surfacant to the diluted solution. Yucca extract is often used, although dish detergent is also an option.

How to Use STS:
There is a wide range of instructions for the use of STS. Some start application of STS three weeks before switching to 12/12 lighting; others start two weeks after the switch. This thread is the only one recommending a single application. Other sources recommend up to once every five days for five weeks.

How to Store STS:
The dry chemicals can be stored in a cool, dark place indefinitely, as can parts A and B before they are mixed together to form the concentrate. One source states that the concentrate can be stored in a cool, dark place for up to nine months, but will have degraded somewhat by that time. Other sources state it should be used within a month or two. Most sources agree that the solution diluted for application to the plants should be used within a week or two.

Pennywise

Top Bottom