Hurricane Sophia! No Electricity Help

vangs

hurricane sophia category 1 winds up to 75mpg, mainly aroun 50mph for over 24hr this will cause alot of power loss on the east coast.. i just started the flowering stage in my garden. does anyone know how i can keep my lights running without electricity??

Drag them over to the windows during the day. If it's only a day or two it will be ok. Might need a little TLC afterwards. Hope things work out ok for you guys over on the east coast.

As Mutt pointed out the sun will work but many times is not practical. Is a generator available/practical?

Drag them over to the windows during the day. If it's only a day or two it will be ok. Might need a little TLC afterwards. Hope things work out ok for you guys over on the east coast.

yeah ur right, the windows will have to make due.. no generators are sold out everywhere. thnks for the help.

Obviously there is no way to keep your lights running without a source of electricity.
If you are growing in soil and can get them to a window a few hours a day you will be fine.
It may slow them down a little until you can get them back under lights.
Hydro will be more of a problem.

no, generators are sold out everywhere. i went to 10 diffrent lowes and home depots. nothing

go to places others won't think of ... mine is a coleman, so try sporting goods places, also try places that you may have passed like best buy or maybe your local RV guy they sell them too

go to places others won't think of ... mine is a coleman, so try sporting goods places, also try places that you may have passed like best buy or maybe your local RV guy they sell them too

ive looked everywhere. trust me man, my plants depend on a generator if the power goes out. aside from the light issue, i figuered id try moving them to the windows just to see how much of a hassle it will be and trying to find a wall outlet to hook the air pumps to while its next to a window and then i realized i wont be able to power any of the air pumps. so yeah only thing i can do now is hope it wont go out for a long time. thanks for the info

You can always use a tire pump (you know, the old school kind that you actually physically pump) and an air hose. Put the hose in the buckets (I assume you're using DWC) and pump for several minutes 4-5 times a day. Should keep enough air in your water to get you by till your pumps come back on.

likelyhood is buy just placing next to window u will hermie plants. Its not a certainty but very likely. The no1 thing not to mess with during a grow is light cycle. A generator is prob only way to go. How far into flower are u, how long did u veg, what have u invested in this grow? maybe it would be starting from scratch once things return to normal? U dont want to waste time, and money if things are going to turn sour regardless. or maybe u could try window job and see how it pans out. If its just a small personal grow and u arent fiancially tied up just see what happens and if u lose power just start again. If u have money invested and are looking for a return.....welll, all the best and get a generator ;)

If he keeps the dark hours the same, a few days near a window receiving low light isn't going to cause it to hermie.
May slow the growth for those few days that's about it.

5 or 10 minutes? You're kidding right? No way that is going to do anything.
I shift my dark period every grow with no ill effects. An occasional plus or minus
a few minutes of light isn't near enough disruption to send a plant into hermie.
Of course that is just my opinion and experience over the decades.

5 or 10 minutes? You're kidding right? No way that is going to do anything.
I shift my dark period every grow with no ill effects. An occasional plus or minus
a few minutes of light isn't near enough disruption to send a plant into hermie.
Of course that is just my opinion and experience over the decades.

With respect i also have hundreds of grows behind me and i am also a very experienced grower, far from a noob. And u definately can hermie plants with short swings in light diff if its done regulary and if strain is sensitive to it. im a commercial grower and i know what im talking about. Just because u havent experienced it doesnt mean it cant happen.

im not trying to insult u or argue, but i have experience of it, i havent just read it in a book or heard someone else say it. Everything i post about on these forums i have experience of and if its 3rd hand info i will state that also.

u definately can hermie plants with short swings in light diff if its done regulary and if strain is sensitive to it.

Have you found it's most likely with femmed seeds? I used to grow back in the 90's and we didn't have these femmed seeds afaik. I just don't think the whole concept sounds like a good idea. I'm skeptical about those things.

Yeah feminised seed hermies easier imo but regular too. Again its down to strain, enviroment and nute schedule. However light plays the most important factor. Some feminised seeds are great and hardy as it gets but that depends on how the feminised seed was created and the strain its from also. I dont grow from seed too often now as i have mothers of everything i like, but now and again i'll pop some. Ive actually just started a couple strains from seed there, feminised seed too. I dont have too much trouble with hermies these days as im careful what i do.

I wish it was that easy to make em hermie. I have only managed to do it once years ago.
Have a couple of her offspring going now. In my case light had nothing to do with it.
It was heat and me chopping on it that caused the stress.

Of course I'm not a big time grower like you and don't grow any of that auto or exotic hybrid stuff.
Wish I could get my hands on some. Sativa is all I have, 8-10 months to grow.
Sure regular disruptions in the light cycle increases the chances but that isn't what this thread is about.
The guy is simply moving his plants to another light source for a few days. If he keeps the same dark
period give to take a few minutes he has nothing to worry about except maybe his roots and oxygen.

The thing is it is that easy to make em hermie, indoors atleast. I cant comment on outdoor grows, it not my expertise infact i no very little. But indoors small changes can be huge as plants get used to their cosy regular environment. Think of it as a wild dog that hunts and feeds if it catches prey to a lazy comfortable poodle thats hand fed and spoilt. All organic beings like the easiest option, thats why outdoor plants are way more hardy in general as the have to face the wilds. Whereas the indoor grows the plants get spoilt, so wen u change something it usually has much bigger effect. Ofcourse, there are exceptions to the rule.

The point is he asked what he should do about his given situation. I said a generator is the best way but may face probs if using natural light and cant regulate it exactly.

Oh and i def dont grow autos.....ever. And although i have hybrids in my mix, i also grow some very potent pure strain indica and the odd pure sativa, with success. :peace:

Like you I have little experience growing outdoors unless you count a vegetable garden.

The guy said he had already checked on a generator and couldn't get one so that wasn't an option for him.

I never noticed my plants showing signs of being "spoilt". LOL

Like I said I shift the dark period every grow. During the heat of the summer it's lights out during the day.
As the days cool the lights out period get shifted to lights out at night. I shift an hour each time.
At the end I reduce from 12 hours to 10 over that last few weeks. The plants have no clue.
We will just have to agree to disagree on an occasional 5 or 10 minutes here and there.

Back
Top Bottom