I am planning on making feminized seeds

Testing can tell gender, genetic strain or THC percentage but it can’t ascertain the strongest mother from a group of weed plants. This is where a skilled breeder comes in, a person who can visually identify plants with exceptional traits. Before one can or should successfully breed it’s necessary to become a highly skilled grower to identify the best specimens for breeding

Sure there’s plenty of science around pollen chunking..… Plants are treated with colloidal silver or sts (silver thiosulfate) to generate male parts on a female plant, pollen is collected and then applied to the target female plant.

Is there, or what is the science behind doing this?
So that when it all said and done the seeds will produce female plants.

Specifically, is it beneficial to send in samples for analysis to determine the strongest mother plants?
"Mother plant" usually refers to a plant that will have sections of stems cut off to be rooted and turned into new plants. Are you thinking of sending in several seeds to be tested? Or, are you talking about sending in a leaf from a plant?

Is there, or what is the science behind doing this?

Specifically, is it beneficial to send in samples for analysis to determine the strongest mother plants?

read up on colloidal silver and silver thiosulfate methods of producing female seed. go have a look at @InTheShed 's journal as he is using cs.

Good advice bluter, but wanted to mention I'm using silver thiosulfate (STS) rather than CS. It's so much easier to use than colloidal silver.

i took a guess at which one ... 50/50 chance lol :p
i figured if he had look then he'd learn which it was pretty quick.

So that when it all said and done the seeds will produce female plants.

"Mother plant" usually refers to a plant that will have sections of stems cut off to be rooted and turned into new plants. Are you thinking of sending in several seeds to be tested? Or, are you talking about sending in a leaf from a plant?
I purchased ten regular seeds from CKS (a vendor here on 420). Because I don't know how many males I'll get, my plan is to drop five and use any males I might get to make some pollen and pollinate a female to obtain more seeds, and then follow up on another grow with more opportunities to obtain two females to make the feminized seeds.

I was thinking about sending in leaf samples, not seed samples. I intend to make the strongest, most reliable seeds possible, utilizing whatever methods I have to to ensure future grows don't result in weak cannibinoids/plants that herme, etc.

I purchased ten regular seeds from CKS (a vendor here on 420). Because I don't know how many males I'll get, my plan is to drop five and use any males I might get to make some pollen and pollinate a female to obtain more seeds, and then follow up on another grow with more opportunities to obtain two females to make the feminized seeds.

are you starting with regs ?

I was thinking about sending in leaf samples, not seed samples. I intend to make the strongest, most reliable seeds possible, utilizing whatever methods I have to to ensure future grows don't result in weak cannibinoids/plants that herme, etc.

better read up on breeding. that's not how it's done. a leaf sample won't do a damn thing.

Yes, I specified that in my original post you quoted.

just wondered if you knew to self a fem plant for creating fem seeds.

Leaf samples won't tell you anything useful. Don't waste your money on those tests.

To really accomplish this you will need several grow rooms or tents going continuously for 2-3 years.

1. Plant your regs
2. Label and clone each and every plant
3. Separate your males and females
4. Grow out the first from seed generation, taking detailed notes on all the plants (vigor, color, shape, weakness to mold and pests, smell, taste, etc.)
5. After harvest and cure, choose your strongest male plant, and strongest/most desirable female plant based on your observations and breed their clones.
6. Repeat on a much larger scale 100+ plants
7. Choose the best 1-2 Females from the bunch
8. Clone and label them.
9. Reverse the mothers and pollinate the clones, reserve pollen.
10. Plant the first generation of feminized seeds, label them and take detailed notes.
11. Grow them out taking detailed notes. Get the flower from this generation tested for THC content, mold, etc.
12. Repeat for several generations until you are achieving stable, consistent results

It would be much easier to plant a bunch of seeds, choose your favorite one, and clone it a bunch.

Best of luck!

just wondered if you knew to self a fem plant for creating fem seeds.
You mean by using the same plant?

If so, yes I do, but I came across some information that this method isn't advisable, as the timing doesn’t match up. By the time your pollen is ready to use, your original plant will already be several weeks past the optimum pollination point. It’s best to pollinate a female plant that has only been flowering about 2-3 weeks, but pollen sacs need more time before pollen is ready to use. It’s also possible to run into unwanted side effects from self-pollination/in-breeding.

You mean by using the same plant?

If so, yes I do, but I came across some information that this method isn't advisable, as the timing doesn’t match up. By the time your pollen is ready to use, your original plant will already be several weeks past the optimum pollination point. It’s best to pollinate a female plant that has only been flowering about 2-3 weeks, but pollen sacs need more time before pollen is ready to use. It’s also possible to run into unwanted side effects from self-pollination/in-breeding.

read @Braddah Waiheesohai 's post. fem seeds are made either selfing or reversing a fem plant with a cs or sts treatment. the pollen collected is either selfed on the plant or used on another fem of the same strain. the proper way takes several generations chasing phenos.

edit : there's a few guys on the board doing it. have a look at those journals. there are a few breeders on board as well.

read @Braddah Waiheesohai 's post. fem seeds are made either selfing or reversing a fem plant with a cs or sts treatment. the pollen collected is either selfed on the plant or used on another fem of the same strain. the proper way takes several generations chasing phenos.

edit : there's a few guys on the board doing it. have a look at those journals. there are a few breeders on board as well.
Oh for sure, I think that user articulated perfectly that it's gonna take a great deal of time to obtain quality feminized seeds lol. I have some limits to what I'm able to do in regards to space, seeing how as I only have a 2x4 tent.

My plan as it stands is to not waste the males. Harvest their pollen sacks, grow as many females as I get to fit in the 2x4 tent but also get some seeds from this first run too.

I have some limits to what I'm able to do in regards to space, seeing how as I only have a 2x4 tent.

..... grow as many females as I get to fit in the 2x4 tent but also get some seeds from this first run too.
You will be limiting yourself with that small of a space, especially with small tent.

Where are you going to be growing the male plants? I am thinking that you will want to grow them far enough away that any pollen from them does not end up near the females. An accidental pollination and you will have to start over.

You will be limiting yourself with that small of a space, especially with small tent.

Where are you going to be growing the male plants? I am thinking that you will want to grow them far enough away that any pollen from them does not end up near the females. An accidental pollination and you will have to start over.
I have to sex clones in an adjacent space to the tent, as these are regular seeds and thus, I have no idea what I'm working with yet.

I might just nail the T5 to the closet wall and let the male(s) grow under that lol.

I have to sex clones in an adjacent space to the tent, as these are regular seeds and thus, I have no idea what I'm working with yet.

I might just nail the T5 to the closet wall and let the male(s) grow under that lol.

you'll need 2 grow spaces at the minimum. we ran a breeding program attached to a med grow, it had 8 separate spaces with 3 dedicated to breeding only.

I purchased ten regular seeds from CKS (a vendor here on 420).

If, by "CKS," you mean Crap— er Crop King Seeds, to the best of my knowledge, that entity has not been a forum sponsor for a number of years. I won't go into that, here, nor will I discuss my personal experience with the business (I'm trying for a rage-free day :rolleyes: ). Just wanted to mention that the vendor isn't a sponsor.

To see a list of current forum sponsors, access the "420 Sponsors" link at the top of the web page. And here:

If, by "CKS," you mean Crap— er Crop King Seeds, to the best of my knowledge, that entity has not been a forum sponsor for a number of years. I won't go into that, here, nor will I discuss my personal experience with the business (I'm trying for a rage-free day :rolleyes: ). Just wanted to mention that the vendor isn't a sponsor.

To see a list of current forum sponsors, access the "420 Sponsors" link at the top of the web page. And here:

LMAO. You're the second to render such an opinion. I myself am not having a very good go getting some seeds germinated.

The company shows up at the top of the 420 sponsors list. But then when I go to click that link you posted, I saw no such thing. Interesting.

Back
Top Bottom