I just learned a new word today: Pinching

Pinching is simply squeezing a branch until you crush the inside without bending or tearing the outer lining. It will slow down the growth allowing other lower branches to catch up to it. Eventually it will form a knuckle or knot which allows more water and energy to flow out to the growth tip.

Pinching is simply squeezing a branch until you crush the inside without bending or tearing the outer lining. It will slow down the growth allowing other lower branches to catch up to it. Eventually it will form a knuckle or knot which allows more water and energy to flow out to the growth tip.

Awesome explanation! And handy for small space grows from the sounds of it. I'll have to give it a try next batch to help control the stretch. Thank you!

I was similarly puzzled by this expression and have previously asked about it also. But I agree with Rexer, awesome explanation! And useful too as I need to do supercropping for stealth reasons, but I will also look to employ 'pinching' in an attempt to rein in canopy growth especially during stretching.

@Pennywise I know you did an excellent job in describing the technique but if you don't mind I will throw my 2c in as well.

Having grown bonsai the pinching technique is effective for both slowing down vertical growth and creating more branches on the stem. Pinching is best done with new growth and is simple to do. Select the branch/stem to be pinched. Clean hands and fingernails carefully. Using the cleaned fingers simply grasp the top of the plant in the desired location and pinch off the new leaves. Try and get as close as possible to the lower node.

If you pinch and feel resistance from the stem it is probably too large to pinch. You do not want to tear the stem causing a ragged cut.

I have used it with success this year on my bag seed outdoor plant.

So, in other words, pinching and topping mean the same but pinching uses your fingernails while topping uses a pair of scissors. If that is so then how can pinching provide 4 new branches while topping only produce 2 branches? I have read that pinching can provide 4 branches.

Pinching might or might not create 4 new branches. When I pinched my outdoor plant to top it she did not create 4 new branches it only created a fork of 2 stems. Pinching is mainly used to slow down the growth of the stronger branches allowing the weaker branches to grow due to the energy required to produce the new branch. Think of it as a way to even out the plant growth.

Back
Top Bottom