I need Help please first grow, lower leaves yellowing with brown spotting

NAllure

Helo everybody, I'm a new member here and I'm new to growing.

My four plants which are all skunk #1, are starting to show a problem. They are now 4 weeks in vegetation and almost one week ago the lower leaves started to show some yellowing, which is almost immediately after I gave them fertilizer for the first time, it's a water soluble chemical fertilizer, the only one suitable where I live with a 28-14-14 NPK mix, the instructions say to add half a gram to each liter, and as I don't have a measuring
scale for such a weight I went for my judgment, although I kept a little amount of course, the plants yellowing progressed and they are starting to show some brownish spotting in the middle of the leaves, if you look at the pictures which I enclosed the first true leaves ( I think that's what they are called ) already started welting and apparently dying.

What I did for now is that I flushed the soil with almost one liter of water for each pot, I only gave them fertilizer once which was one week ago since then I watered twice with water only, and because I saw the yellowing increasing and some brownish spots appearing I flushed with one liter like I said.

I really need your help as this is my first grow and I don't have more seed available to grow

What kind of soil?
What kind of nuts?

The soil is ready made ( All purpose potting soil), as I mentioned they seemed to be fine until on week ago when I started with the fertilizer

The Nuts here I assume is the fertilizer? Well I'm using a chemical water soluble one which has an NPK ratio of 28-14-14, as I said instruction on the bag said half a gram with each liter, I didn't have a weighing scale to measure such a quantity so I just guessed, of course i didn't keep more than 3 but i cant be sure it was half a gram or not.

One more thing to add here, I noticed that the bigger plants are the ones which started to show the yellowing first, I was planning transplanting them into a bigger pot, since they are now in like half a gallon pot.

I really need all the help I can get

Hi NAllure and welcome to :420: the best site for promoting cannabis awareness and repealing cannabis prohibition.

If you get a chance you might post an introduction about yourself, it's a great way to develop a circle of friends who will usually jump on a chance to help one another out: Introduce yourself

Also here are some links I think you'll find helpful for navigating the site:
New Member Start Links

Since your plants have nutes, if you are not overwatering the other thing it could be is a ph problem. If the ph of your soil and/or your water is way off then the plants won't be able to absorb some nutrients. In soil you want to be around 6.5.

:welcome: :thanks: :peace:

I'm inclined to agree with rillos at the moment.

The leaves are yellowing starting at the bottom of the plant and working up, they're curling, and slowly dying and will fall off.

Your nutrients have a higher level of nitrogen, so it shouldn't be N deficient, yet it's showing signs of it. I'm guessing your PH could be too high, creating less available Nitrogen, even though it's available in the soil.

PH Chart: https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/759/ph_availability_in_soil_1.gif

Two great guides for plant problems:
Cannabis Plant and Pest Problem Solver - Pictorial
Plant Abuse Chart

Ok so if it's a ph problem how do I adjust it, I have a basic ph/light/moist meter, it doesn't look that much reliable honestly, and keeps showing that the soil is around 7.

But it shows that the soil is moist after I flushed it with water.

One more thing here is that the bigger plants started to show the yellowing first, and only now after 3 days the symptoms are starting to show more on the smaller ones, so could it be that the pots are small and the roots are compacted or something?

Yes it could be that, but you need a digital PH meter. I know what you are talking about and they are plan WORTHLESS when trying to get your PH correct. Once you get a PH meter than get some PH up/down so you can know adjust the ph. You want to keep your feed/water at a PH of 6.5 or as very close as you can get there. :peace:

I have one of those basic meters. They're garbage, BUT can help, but will never be as accurate as their digital counterpart.

First, test it out in distilled water. It should be a PH of 7. Tap water is an inconsistent testing medium because although most places adjust the PH of tap water to be 7.0 +/-, the PH range of household water can fall between 5.5-9.

The fact that the meter shows the soil is moist doesn't mean much. It's going to be operating on different test "circuits" if you will, just using the same probes.
Just because the radio works, doesn't mean that the car will start :)

But for now, we can work with what you've got. Distilled water to test the meter and get an idea of how accurate it's reading.
Once you have that baseline reading, if it's reading above 7, or below 7 in distilled water, you'll have an approximate idea how much to mentally change each reading when you measure your soil.

For an emergency, you can use vinegar or lemon juice to lower the PH. (I prefer the lemon juice, as I think it gives the plants a strong citrus aroma)

And the best option to raise PH would probably be dolomite lime.

I'll try to get a digital one but I don’t think I'll find a ph up or down product here, so does anyone know know of any other methods for correcting the pH, in case that turned to be the cause.

I'm also suspecting the small size of the pots. Each plant is in a half gallon pot with only 2 thirds of that filled with soil, I'm planning to transplant soon.

The tallest plant is one foot tall the others are catching up.

By the way I use R.O. Water for the plants

I'll try to get a digital one but I don’t think I'll find a ph up or down product here, so does anyone know know of any other methods for correcting the pH, in case that turned to be the cause.

I'm also suspecting the small size of the pots. Each plant is in a half gallon pot with only 2 thirds of that filled with soil, I'm planning to transplant soon.

The tallest plant is one foot tall the others are catching up.

By the way I use R.O. Water for the plants

The forums are your friend: How Can I Raise or Lower the pH of my Soil Mix?

Check out this topic here.. LOADS of great info: How to Grow Cannabis - Everything You Need to Know!

Hi everyone, thanks again for your replys. I've been busy for a few days, and I thought I'll wait to see how things progress.

The problem doesn't seem to be going away, I took your advice and bought a digital ph meter, and it's showing the ph at 7, which should be ok I think.

As I explained to you before I have four plants and only two are showing this problem clearly, the other two are smaller and doing better, although there is yellowing of the lower leaves, one of them started to show a few brownish spots yesterday.

I'm suspecting that the problem could be due to the small size of my pots as the bigger plants are the ones which started to show the problem combined with the fact that I fertilized them too much.

I transplanted my plants yesterday, and they were definitely root bound, at least that is how it looked to my newbie eyes, the roots were concentrated in the corner and then it seems that they started growing upwards, so to the more experienced growers, do you think that can be a cause?

One more thing, I think one of the plants started showing sex, I think it's a SHE :) I need your opinion on cloning, I know it's better to clone before switching them to flowering, but should I consider seperating her to avoid pollination, r cloning quick so it won't get ruined for me?

I'll post a picture once I can get a clear one

What color were the roots?

Root rot can exhibit the same symptoms you're seeing as well. Healthy roots should be bright white/light tan in color, and the only odor you should smell is soil.

If your roots are darker than that, or brown in appearance, with a somewhat pungeant organic/rotting type of smell, it could be a Pythium/root rot infection.

What color were the roots?

Root rot can exhibit the same symptoms you're seeing as well. Healthy roots should be bright white/light tan in color, and the only odor you should smell is soil.

If your roots are darker than that, or brown in appearance, with a somewhat pungeant organic/rotting type of smell, it could be a Pythium/root rot infection.

Thanks for the reply

They were white and lightly tanned, no smell was there,

Do you think the pot size might have caused this, because I had them for more than five weeks in those small pots, less than half a gallon, and only filled half of them.

I'm almost certain they were root bound when I transplanted them.

Over 5 weeks in Veg in that pot size would be calling it close, and only half full of soil is asking for trouble.

This is how I'd correct the situation, in these steps:

Check PH, you see 7, so leave that for now.
Repot into much bigger pots, good soil without nutes in it, and at least 25% perlite mixed in. (Use pots that will allow at least 1 gallon for every expected 12"/30cm of plant height)
Next Use lemon juice to bring PH down to 6.5. spray bottles work best here, you want an even spread, and even PH throughout the soil. Observe plants the next couple days, if yellowing continues to advance, look into a nitrogen deficiency.

If yellowing stops, problem solved, and water/fertilize on normal schedule. Look into soil products to stabilize/maintain 6.5 PH

ALWAYS correct the PH first, before adding nutes. You want to make sure the PH is where the plant is happiest, and that will allow it to take up nutrients that are already in the soil. If you add nutes before correcting the PH, you can easily nute burn, or kill the plants.

Over 5 weeks in Veg in that pot size would be calling it close, and only half full of soil is asking for trouble.

This is how I'd correct the situation, in these steps:

Check PH, you see 7, so leave that for now.
Repot into much bigger pots, good soil without nutes in it, and at least 25% perlite mixed in. (Use pots that will allow at least 1 gallon for every expected 12"/30cm of plant height)
Next Use lemon juice to bring PH down to 6.5. spray bottles work best here, you want an even spread, and even PH throughout the soil. Observe plants the next couple days, if yellowing continues to advance, look into a nitrogen deficiency.

If yellowing stops, problem solved, and water/fertilize on normal schedule. Look into soil products to stabilize/maintain 6.5 PH

ALWAYS correct the PH first, before adding nutes. You want to make sure the PH is where the plant is happiest, and that will allow it to take up nutrients that are already in the soil. If you add nutes before correcting the PH, you can easily nute burn, or kill the plants.

Thanks again Antics for the advice.

I checked the ph before and after transplanting and it was 7

Do you mean real lemon juice ?

I've just used the stuff in the bottle from the store. It's a lot easier than squeezing lemons lol.

BUT BE CAREFUL! Lemon Juice has a PH of about 2 +/- so go slowly, and use a spray bottle, with your meter in the soil, checking at least 4 separate points in the soil. Once you hit 6.5 STOP.

And most importantly, clean the probes on your meter after every use, especially after using the lemon juice.

Back
Top Bottom