Iluvsnow's 1st Grow - DIY Double-Decker Cab - Multi-Strain - DWC - CFL

Update time. I'd like to keep this thing a little more timely than it's been, so here they are:

I tweaked my nutes a bit to allow more cal/mag, and my leaf rusting issue just got worse. The only cause that I could come up with was salt buildup in my hempys. The DWC Khalifa, which uses the exact same mixture, shows no signs of these deficiencies, so I opted to give all the hempy plants a good flush. I started by just filling the buckets with tap water in the tub, draining as well as possible, then giving them pH water until I get a good runoff. I'll give them some nutes again starting tomorrow, but so far the issues seem to have stopped. They got pretty bad there for a bit. Here's the Khalifa that probably got it the worst:

poop_3_22_15_047.JPG

I hope I didn't flush longer than I had to (about four days), and I'm sure the growth got stunted a bit, but the plants certainly look no worse than before the flush. Hopefully this fixes it. I'll still bump up the epsom a bit in the next mixes.

The veg cab is doing its thing. Remember those clones that were enormous?

sqwidjbo_3_12_15_026.JPG

I planted two of them in soil and topped the remaining two big ones. I cloned my clones. Here they are:

poop_3_22_15_056.JPG

poop_3_22_15_048.JPG

poop_3_22_15_087.JPG

The clones planted in soil are not doing well. I was paranoid about bugs, so I nuked a small ziplock full of my soil (FFOF), filled the pots and wet the soil, let it drain and dry out a bit and then I planted. The root mass on the clones easily reached the bottom of the small pots. I think they were too big to hit the ground running for soil ( I bet they would have done fine in hempy, though) and should have been transplanted a long time ago. Live and learn. That's why I topped the other clones. These pics below were taken this morning, so they've definitely perked up. I'll just write these off as a learning experience if they bite the dust. No biggie.

poop_3_22_15_088.JPG

The smaller one looks a lot better than it did. I cut the top growth after it REALLY wilted and I think this helped it a bit.

Here's the vegging Afghani. You can see the size of one of the bigger branches I cut there on the right side. I really mowed this thing down a lot just to see what would happen. I haven't noticed anything wrong with it at all. It's just biding its time at this point until I can move it to the lower veg cab (which now holds a flowering BB and Afghani) and grow it out some.

poop_3_22_15_084.JPG

I cut the rooted Khalifa clone down quite a bit to practice my bonsai skills:

poop_3_22_15_085.JPG

The monstercropped Blueberry mutant is doing well:

poop_3_22_15_086.JPG

The Afghani and BB in the old flower cab are still my best looking hempy plants. They got a bit of the leaf rusting seen on the other flowering plants, but to nowhere near the same extent. I have often given these plants the short end of the stick on feedings and have supplemented with pHd water a few times, which I think has actually worked in their favor by keeping the medium cleaner.

poop_3_22_15_080.JPG

poop_3_22_15_082.JPG

poop_3_22_15_078.JPG

The flower cab is in recovery. All the plants ended up with the rusting that I showed in the prior picture. I'm kind of bummed about that, but I'll give more periodic waterings without nutes to keep this at bay in the future.

Blueberry 1 and Blueberry 2

poop_3_22_15_067.JPG

poop_3_22_15_068.JPG

The hempy Khalifas

poop_3_22_15_066.JPG

And the big one. This thing has started falling over in the SCRoG. I've talked a bit of trash about DWC lately, but this is my only plant that really shows no deficiencies to speak of. A few leaves show some mag def, I hit it too hard with the nutes so there's some tip burn, but that's it. DWC makes up for its high maintenance by being pretty foolproof when it's dialed in. Getting to that point is the tricky part. The buds are really beginning to fatten up. I bet a bunch of these branches have about an eighth on them.

poop_3_22_15_058.JPG

poop_3_22_15_065.JPG

Thanks for looking! Good wishes to all, enjoy the remainder of your weekend.

:slide:

Definately someone who keeps themselves busy as to be shown by your grow haha so much to look at and keep up with but that's a good thing, love stopping by here always something happening :)
Have ever tried training kalifas? Look like a strain that could possibly benefit from it.
Keep up your good work anyway mate :thumb:

Definately someone who keeps themselves as to be shown by your grow haha so much to look at and keep up with but that's a good thing, love stopping by here always something happening :)
Have ever tried training kalifas? Look like a strain that could possibly benefit from it.
Keep up your good work anyway mate :thumb:

Thanks for stopping by. Yeah, I stay pretty busy most of the time. There's always something. The Khalifa benefits a lot from some training, that's that beastly one in the SCRoG. I didn't start training it until just a couple of weeks before flower, which is why the net is so high off the plant. I'm REALLY glad I decided to SCRoG it though. The big one would have been a nightmare without the net.

Quick update, I checked some trichomes this morning for the first time in about a week, and I'm at about 50% (or more) milky on the big Khalifa. It looks like harvest should come sometime in the next week or so, I'd guess. I'd better get some hand exercises in to get ready for all that trimming.

Well wishes to all.

Gday mate, wow you have alot going on there nice update :thumb:
Anyway I have a question about DWC, just want to see your opinion. I was wondering, if I am doing 16/8 for veg would it hurt the root system if i had the air pump running for only 16hours, the same time as the light?

Cheers and happy growing :)

Gday mate, wow you have alot going on there nice update :thumb:
Anyway I have a question about DWC, just want to see your opinion. I was wondering, if I am doing 16/8 for veg would it hurt the root system if i had the air pump running for only 16hours, the same time as the light?

Cheers and happy growing :)

There's probably someone out there that curs their pump off for a bit and gets away with it, but I would never do it. You really need constant airflow around the roots to avoid root rot. It's great for the roots too, but you really don't want root rot. Light proofing and low reservoir temperatures are the other things you'll need to watch, they'll also cause some nasties to grow in your system.

If you're already doing a modified veg schedule, have you thought about the gas lantern routine? Twelve on, 5.5 off, one on, another 5.5 off. I've been doing it for a while and it seems to be working fine. My plants grow just like they always have and I use less electricity.

Hey, you're going into the cool season. It's the time to do your DWC if you're thinking about it. Let those cool temps work in your favor.

Thanks for stopping by, have a great one.

There's probably someone out there that curs their pump off for a bit and gets away with it, but I would never do it. You really need constant airflow around the roots to avoid root rot. It's great for the roots too, but you really don't want root rot. Light proofing and low reservoir temperatures are the other things you'll need to watch, they'll also cause some nasties to grow in your system.

If you're already doing a modified veg schedule, have you thought about the gas lantern routine? Twelve on, 5.5 off, one on, another 5.5 off. I've been doing it for a while and it seems to be working fine. My plants grow just like they always have and I use less electricity.

Hey, you're going into the cool season. It's the time to do your DWC if you're thinking about it. Let those cool temps work in your favor.

Thanks for stopping by, have a great one.

Cheers for the reply mate :)
Yeah i thought it might not be good to turn off the air pump, so that is something that i won't be doing haha
I have heard of the gas lantern technique however i wasn't 100% sure on how it worked! So you can get away with only 13hours of vegetative lighting, and it still seems to be working the same as say 18hours on? What do you think of having it on for only 13hours straight, do you think it would work the same as the gas lantern technique or start to flower early?
Yeah you are right about it getting colder down this way, however where i am it gets really cold. What would you recommend the ideal temp of the reservoir water to be? And what is the coldest it can get before it starts to do damage?

Happy Growing Mate :)

Cheers for the reply mate :)
Yeah i thought it might not be good to turn off the air pump, so that is something that i won't be doing haha
I have heard of the gas lantern technique however i wasn't 100% sure on how it worked! So you can get away with only 13hours of vegetative lighting, and it still seems to be working the same as say 18hours on? What do you think of having it on for only 13hours straight, do you think it would work the same as the gas lantern technique or start to flower early?
Yeah you are right about it getting colder down this way, however where i am it gets really cold. What would you recommend the ideal temp of the reservoir water to be? And what is the coldest it can get before it starts to do damage?

Happy Growing Mate :)

There are others who can explain the science behind the gas lantern routine much better than I can, but I will say that the 12-5.5-1-5.5 schedule seems to be working just fine for my plants. I don't think thirteen hours straight would work, the interruption in the middle is to disrupt the plant's ability to start flowering. I'm pretty sure thirteen straight would just start flowering.

You'll want your reservoir as close to 68 as possible. Any hotter and your chances of root rot are higher, lower and it just makes it uncomfortable for the plant. Hope this helps.

Update time, overdue as always.

The veg cabinet is still doing fine. I have three additions:

Final_harvest_49_.JPG

That is a newly sprouted Vanilla Kush, Blue Kush and Maui Waui in coco/perlite smart pots. Good times.

Everything else is trucking along, bigger, still looking good for the most part. All those are beyond the scope of this journal, I think.

With that said, here's the final harvest of this journal!

Here are a few pics of the harvest of the three remaining Blueberries and the Afghani:

Final_harvest_44_.JPG

Final_harvest_48_.JPG

Final_harvest_46_.JPG

Final_harvest_52_.JPG

Final_harvest_53_.JPG

Final_harvest_4_.JPG

The first two Khalifas and one of the Blueberries were harvested about a week ago. Sorry, no pictures of those. Here's a before and after of the big girl.

Final_harvest_12_.JPG

Final_harvest_29_.JPG

DWC roots are no joke.

Final_harvest_31_.JPG

It took a full day to harvest this thing. Here are a few pics.

Final_harvest_18_.JPG

Final_harvest_28_.JPG

Final_harvest_26_.JPG

Sorry to disappoint, but I didn't weigh a thing. My scale is too small and it would have taken forever. Since I was faced with the awesome problem of having more than I really planned for, I experimented a bit. Some of my harvest I washed, trimmed then dried like normal. Another part I cut straight off the plant, plucked the biggest fan leaves and froze to make fresh frozen bubble hash. The other part I washed, plucked fan leaves and dry trimmed. I took some pics of my first run with my new four bag bubble bag set, I may start another thread showing my attempt. I got about a gram from two full quart zip lock bags of fresh frozen buds and sugar leaves. I have no idea if that's good or not, but it took a lot and made it a little, that's for sure.

Here's the final product. The 73 micron is in the container, I pressed the 25 micron.

Final_harvest_43_.JPG

I dried the leftover plant matter and stuck it with the trim for some edibles. I jarred the first round of dry trimmed buds and I think they smell better. They weren't really any harder to trim, I just waited until the leaves were dry enough to snap off easily and just went to town. I think I'll probably do it like this from now on.

I whipped up some pretty handy curing jars using cheapo hygrometers off Fleabay. That's some of the Khalifa and some of one Blueberry in there. They already smell amazing and I can already tell that this Blueberry is going to be much better than the first one I harvested a couple of months back. Progress is nice.

Final_harvest_51_.JPG

Thanks for giving me the info to complete this journal, 420ers! I couldn't have done it without this site and the cool people on it.

Thanks and take care everyone.

:Namaste:

Thanks again for your reply mate,
So when i do try and dabble with dwc (most probably tomorrow) i will keep the res temp at 68 which i'm pretty sure is mid 20's in degrees celcius.
Yeah i think you're right about the plant just flowering on 13 hours. I will read up a little more on it before i try. Also mate i'm not sure if i asked, but what was your mix in the hempy buckets?
Also will you be starting a new journal with your next grow or will you continue on here with the next?

Once again thanks for your answers to my questions.

Happy Growing :)

Thanks again for your reply mate,
So when i do try and dabble with dwc (most probably tomorrow) i will keep the res temp at 68 which i'm pretty sure is mid 20's in degrees celcius.
Yeah i think you're right about the plant just flowering on 13 hours. I will read up a little more on it before i try. Also mate i'm not sure if i asked, but what was your mix in the hempy buckets?
Also will you be starting a new journal with your next grow or will you continue on here with the next?

Once again thanks for your answers to my questions.

Happy Growing :)

Yeah, you'll want to keep the temp as close to 68 as you can. My hempy mix is 70/30 perlite/vermiculite. I just whipped up a couple of pots for my seedlings using coco and perlite, which I think I'll likely switch to. Coco seems to be a happy medium between soil and hydro.

I think I'm gonna call it quits for this journal. I may or may not start one for my next grow. I need to sort some stuff out with my setup, so it may be in flux again for a little bit coming up. Get a journal going and I'll check it out for sure. Good luck.

Hope all is well in your world.

Thanks for sharing this grow with us.

Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please feel free to start a new journal here: Journals in Progress

You can use the Report Post feature found at the bottom left of every post and we'll move it for you right away.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom