In A Jiffy, Kind Of Iffy

Greenlizard

So I have had some bad luck with germination so far...
I have gone through 15 seeds now and have only one plant to show for it. I have followed the seed companies' instructions exactly.
I have now purchased a warming pad for seeds/seedlings. I put two new seeds in water and in 24 hours still only one looks like it started to crack. I am now going to plant them anyways since it's highly recommended not to leave them in the water for more than 24 hours. I was going to just do the paper towel thing again but that's where my progress would stop in the past. I would get tap root on a couple then it would be planted and just never come up...
I am now thinking about going against what the seed company is saying and I will try these Jiffy pucks I picked up. I bought a small one that holds 12. I would place this on the warming pad as well. If I do this do I keep adding water and if so do I add it from the bottom and not the top of the Jiffy cup? I have heard to only water from the bottom...
So should I attempt the Jiffy or should I go back to the soil and try again? Thanks for any input.

Those peat pucks work. The warming pad should really help. Feeding or watering from the bottom is ok and may help avoid overwatering. Going directly into soil is more difficult or can be if the soil isn't made for seedlings. Those jiffys are made for seedlings so go for it.

Good luck.

When u get tap roots, how deep do u plant it in soil ?
Root down, or up?
How much water do u give the plant when u plant it ?
How often do u water it?
Ant humidity dome on it?

Hi Chris.
Root down.
I wet the medium by squeezing a wet paper towel over it as to not disturb the surface too much.
I only watered once and then a second time a week later.
I was and am using a humidome.

Sounds like yer letting them dry out and they die, could be yer issue

Keep em moist, not wet, but for sure they can't dry out

I water a little every day, say 2 Tablespoons ish, around the seedling

Only plant the germ seed 1/4-1/2" max under soil, basically barely under and loose soil on top

Yeah they dont need much. I drop mine in a glass of water poke it after a day. When I see a taproot it goes directly into soil. No taproot after 3 days it goes into soil. no humidor. Just mist the solid like 5 sprays when it dries out.

Idk I'm not about heat mats. Heat should come from above not below. Just my 2 pennies. Chris has a great process as well. Hope you grow a big one!

Well one thing I am quite confident in stating is that I don't think I'm under watering. If anything I think I am over watering right from the start. The soil was quite saturated looking the whole way through.
I ended up putting them into peat pucks. It has been 24 hours in the water so I took the seeds out. They do look slightly cracked though so this might work. I squeezed a bit of the excess water out of the peat pucks and then fluffed them back up by rolling them in my hand. I placed the seeds with tweezers pointy end pointing down in the hole. Only about 1/4" deep if even that. Gently covered them up and placed them on the warm mat under T5 lights that are on 18/6 schedule.
Does anyone see any major issues with my process?

Spray bottles work great for keeping the top of the soil moist while not over watering the whole cup.

I ran into a new problem this year with seeds that had popped and then not coming through the soil. What I noticed was. Even after keeping the soil moist some seeds were not coming up for one reason or the other. Some were just bad seeds. Others I found had tried to get through but didn't have the push needed to make it through the top. This is the first time I have ever came across this at this level. Always one or 2 but this time I lost enough seeds to look further into it. Here is what I found.

When I watered in the seed after planting it. The soil on top formed together making a kind of crust. Even when moist the fibers kind of linked together making a solid layer. Even though it was moist the seeds were hitting a wall at the surface. Be cause of this I started scratching the top of the soil some so it couldn't bind together forming a layer.

The funny thing is. I have never had this problem at this level before. I didn't change the soil I was using. So a new problem showed up on a well known product.

Well it looks like the Jiffy pucks are going to be a sucess. I just checked and both seeds have broke the surface. What a relief after so many lost seeds.

Attachments

• 20181028_211545.jpg
    20181028_211545.jpg
    481.8 KB · Views: 125
  • 20181028_211553.jpg
    20181028_211553.jpg
    421.2 KB · Views: 118
So many posts here on your thread. Hate to repeat what others have said. On a cell phone, plucking out my response.
For future germinations, search for other seed company instructions.
I soak in distilled water for 16 hours. They don’t need to sink or crack open, just absorb enough water to activate. Then use the paper towel method, in darkness, using distilled water. Do not cover the plate or store in a cabinet. Dark room out in the open. I like to leave a little air pocket around the seed.
Once taproot is 1/2 inch long, plant root down into soil...in a small container like a solo cup. Make a little hole with your pinky finger that is just deep enough that the seed is JUST below the surface, barely covered by soul.
Use a very plain potting soil...not MiracleGrow or other highly fertilized soil.
DO NOT pack the soil. It should be loose with lot of air space. Then use a mister to wet the soil. Keep moist always until it sprouts. By not packing the soil and using a mister, you can keep the soil wet and still not drown the roots.

It could be that you're either planting too deep or packing the soil too hard as someone else above mentioned. I would recommend a 1/4 inch down, and don't pack the dirt too tight. That should do it for you.

Well it looks like the Jiffy pucks are going to be a sucess. I just checked and both seeds have broke the surface. What a relief after so many lost seeds.

Pretty sure that is what TGA is running for all their seeds. It is that one or a similar peat pod type starter. Thought of changing to them but I am just adjusting as I go. To old to learn totally new ways when mine work pretty good. For anyone starting out I would suggest finding something like this that works for them.

I've been using Jiffy pots and Jiffy Pellets/Pucks for 40 years now about 5 years ago a breeder told me his beans didnt germ because thats what I tried to germinate them in said there to acidic , I laughed showed him pictures of over 100 happy healthy seedlings of mine and other peoples genetics he told me to F off and ignored any further communications lol

I've been using Jiffy pots and Jiffy Pellets/Pucks for 40 years now about 5 years ago a breeder told me his beans didnt germ because thats what I tried to germinate them in said there to acidic , I laughed showed him pictures of over 100 happy healthy seedlings of mine and other peoples genetics he told me to F off and ignored any further communications lol

Some people can't handle the truth...
If he didn't PH the water he soaked them with then yes... I suppose that's plausible depending on your water source.

Back
Top Bottom