In hydro do plants stop feeding when the lights go out!

joan

in hydroponics do plants stop feeding when the lights go out and if so should you turn and leave the res pump off until the lights come back on!!!! just to let you know i am using a NFT hydro system and would be very greatful for your help, thank you!!!! :eek:)

hey lurch farmer thanks for your reply!!! i was wondering if it is a good idea to leave the res pump on all the time when the lights are on or wheather to put it on a timer and if you think it would be best to put it on a timer how long would you have the pump on for and how long would you have it off for!!!! is it a goog idea to have the pump on for say 30 minutes then turn it off for 30 minutes then back on for 30 then off again for 30 and so on and so on till lights out and then half it again!!!! thanks for your help lurch farmer it is much appreciated!!!! :eek:)

During lights on your plants are storing energy to be used when lights go out.

SO when lights are out it still is doing things, such as feeding.

I recommend keeping your res pump on at all times if you're in an NFT system because that's part of your aeration process for the water, very important.

hey mister bones how are you!!!! thanks for your reply JJ, so you are saying that plants do still take in food and do still need to be fed when lights go out and that i should leave my res pump on around the clock 24/7 with the lighs on and lights off coz im using a NFT system coz thats part of my airation process for my water!!! i thought that by leaving the res pump off at times for a short period of time was a good thing for the roots as i thought that it was allowing air to get to the roots which in turn would be beneficial for them but if you say to leave the pump on 24/7 i will do exactally that and you say that when using a NFT system it is best to leave the res pump on at all times coz thats part of the airation process for the water well just what exactally do you mean by that and how does that work!!! :eek:) thank you so much mister jj bones for your time and all your help and i wish you a happy christmas JJ!!!! :eek:) thanks

oh yeah and one more thing jj bones, will i get bigger buds and a bigger yield by continually leaving the res pump on 24/7 compared to say having it on a timer for 20 minutes on then 40 minutes off coz by leaving the pump on conituously that would mean that the plants are able to drink more food which in turn produces bigger buds in comparison to having it on a timer where it has a period of time without actually having any intake of food!!!!!! thanks for all your help and wizdom :eek:)

Well if you truly are in an NFT system the way they work is by recirculating the water from the reservoir through the channels and back to the res.

Typically there are no air-stones involved for that setup because the act of recirculating the water (moving it consistently) is what helps get oxygen to your water and roots.

If you didn't keep the water pump on the NFT system would become stagnant which would probably cause root rot.

Back
Top Bottom