Indica God’s Gift From Seed, DWC, 1100W LED Actual, 5x5 Tent In Sealed 10x5 Room, CO2, Quadline: My First Personal Indoor!

8394d4efd99d2bae9b6194eb36034cd0afd551e2.jpeg

LK, HH, Bill, thanks for being part of this grow. PM me your deets if you want a preroll mailed out after haarvest. Page three joiners will only get larf! Ha!

Yeah, everyone, those were great tips for dealing with the power outage scenario. For the entire time I`ve (partially) owned this house, 20 yrs, whenever there was a local outage, which was every year, it always stopped at my next door neighbour. Always. Except for last year. So, I now have to plan as though I expect one 2-3 day outage every year, prob in December-February. I am considering making one of my DWC rez into a PPK unit after this cycle to test the method as it addresses the issue quite well.

New member @Sobergrower introduced me to it and it can be described as a mix of SIP and DWC. You don't use an airpump but do use a water pump to move nutes from an underneath rez into the pot. It is much easier to jury-rig nute transfers than dissolved oxygen. Check out his intro thread, it`s very cool and he`s very knowledgable, helpful, and is growing the f?%5 out of his genetics.

Hey Verbalist, yes I am taking care with my DLI. What you saw there was an early iteration of methods to accurately and safely use the dimming function on my lights to manage DLI. I`m def. not subjecting seedlings to 500PPF off the hop, but I include the numbers above and below my target to illustrate the rapid diminishment or intensification of light as the canopy gets closer or farther to prevent an error. Being logarithmic its not always obvious the impact changing that distance has so this tool reinforces for me. An adaptation is below, and I use a watt meter to adjust my lights, which gives me accurate control.

I detail on the masking tape DLIs at those specific heights relative to the deck height of my rez plus 12 inches, at 12 and 18hr photoperiods, for a couple of wattage settings. I can crank it up to 1100 actual watts, and we might get there after I`ve broken out the co2 but prob not on the autoflowers, is my guess. You can see my Pymeter temp meter. I have a lot of Inkbird stuff but this one is quite good and inexpensive. It has two probes it can respond to indiv. or you can use both plugs for heating and cooling control responding to one probe. For me I am monitoring the solution temp in the reservoir, and currently the air temp also. If I wished, in winter I have some liquid graphite heating elements that could slide underneath to protect from cold rez temps. I tape over the empty plugs there when I`m using my `fogger`humidification rig.

image_67208449 (1).JPG

image_67197441.JPG

Welcome aboard! We`ll give you a quick tour of this part of the ship, tent /2 is under construction but will be up any day now.

Above is the bridge, where the captain monitors ship functions and takes instrument readings to determine course and speed.

Below is the Galley where the crew`s food is prepared... It`s a mess!
image_67208705.JPG

image_67208449.JPG

This is the Sub Irrigated Planter design I`ve developed. The side holes are there because this is a 17gal tote in 27gal tote design and I wanted to be assured that the 8 gal reservoir below would have a proper gaseous exchange and not become anaerobic. I will be experimenting with putting an air stone in one or both planters which is not called for but avail and I`m curious. These will have the fill and drain tubes inserted, a non-hydrophobic cloth laid down to cover holes and prevent soil from entering rez yet permit wicking contact between planter and wicking basket stuffed with sunshine mix and placed in rez to facilitate capillary action. It is vital to have a consistent medium mix all the way down, hydrological physics demonstrates difficulty in overcoming borders between mediums, regardless their native capillary wicking nature. ie if I put a perlite-only layer anywhere water would not wick through as expected, same as if it were vermiculite, even though vermiculite holds a great deal of moisture, passing these borders is a step too far when already dealing with gravity.
image_167870721.JPG

image_67232257.JPG

The 3-4 inch PVC fill tube must be cut at an angle on the insertion end to guarantee water will flow. This one will be trimmed down and you can tape on a pop bottle funnel or use a kitchen funnel for filling. This sucker holds over 8.5 gallons of fert solution. The planter volume is 17 gallons. I`m going to use perforated nursery bags for my seedlings as they can be planted out without removal and have great gaseous flow. A wire with a floating object like cork can be sent down the fill tube to act as a level indicator. A drainage hole is drilled out immed below bottom of planter level to assure overwatering is impossible and that a crucial airgap sits between bottom of planter and top of rez, except where wicking basket material connects with planter soil through the large holes.

image_67216385 (1).JPG

Thought I`d share my fungus gnat and other pest-type spray. It kills all the eggs and immature, so quickly the cycle is broken. Don`t forget though to pastuerize your soil or coco in the oven to remove all pathogens. The internet will quickly reveal the best temp settings etc., and it is a critical part of your IPM (he typed as a f*&? fungus gnat crawls across his screen. lol. fekkers!)

Nice setup man, I love the control board. Great stuff.

Thanks LK. I read through every page of your journals this winter and really learned at lot and it helped me to make a lot of tough decisions. Plus I really enjoyed my time. Was nice to see the family involvement, I really hope to slowly change my elderly father`s impressions of cannabis and in so doing show him that prohibition has been a tool to keep from us those things that assist humanity and individuals from seeing and achieving their full potential. I do not accept being controlled or attempts at control by the media, corporations or elements of government partially captured by these forces. I do not consent to this madness! Really, it was inspirational to see all of you working together on your`family 5 gallon plots`as it were. :thumb:

I am pihalla kuin lumiukko.
Haha loved that! :cheesygrinsmiley: Finnish accent and youre ready to roll:Rasta:

PS. Lab is looking great! How about buying RV and setting up a moving garden :laugh:

Haha loved that! :cheesygrinsmiley: Finnish accent and youre ready to roll:Rasta:

PS. Lab is looking great! How about buying RV and setting up a moving garden :laugh:
Funny you mention that... There was one for sale in local ads. Used trailer, approx 9ftx24ft interior space, fully equipped as a grow. Had been using cmh-hps, had six ballasts, all electrics very, very nicely installed and mounted exposed for maint. including ballasts, it had 2 photo-zones that could be separated and a special propagation closet with excellent prop. equipment installed. Had a 50 AMP system. Was very professionally installed and built, w full battery back-up. Asking only 10k. Little steep, that is to say I didn`t have the cash, but the trailer was top brand racing car trailer and very secure. I went and had a look thinking if it was amazing I`d tell Bill but when I got there he had just sealed a sale. Still, he gave me a very informative tour. Wish I did have the cash, it would have sold for 25k+ during prohibition and that`s when it was built, a lot of money was into that build you could see clearly. That kinda thing is my jam fo sho.

Kiva että pidit!

Oh jeez with 50amp system you could already run proper garden! :cheesygrinsmiley: Would love to see pics about that.

Kiva että pidit!
:Namaste:
Is it just google translator or you actually know Fin words & sentences?

Aurinkoista päivää sulle sinne Canadaan!
Verb

Yeah I`m looking them up in a paper-based dictionary, phrasebook I got when I was going to be in Finland, but then didn't go. I used to collect those books for every country visited. Its a memento from a trip that didn't happen, very disappointed but I mean to still go sometime.

Yeah I`m looking them up in a paper-based dictionary, phrasebook I got when I was going to be in Finland, but then didn't go. I used to collect those books for every country visited. Its a memento from a trip that didn't happen, very disappointed but I mean to still go sometime.
For sure you didn't miss a thing :laugh: Well okay during the summer especially Lapland looks beautiful. Great landscapes in which to hike.

PS, thanks, we need the well-wishes this year, the summer weather has been awful on west coast. (For That I used translator) Your english is very good by the way.
Ohh is it cold or raining? It was pretty rainy over here whole june but now past 7 days it's been 28-32C eeevery day. Worst possible timing for drying the crop..:eye-roll:

And thanks! :)

Hello 420! I’ve been active on some other threads doing the peanut gallery thing but had to, if not abandon, then seriously adapt this grow. Once summer did finally show up I got nervous about maintaining a decent rez temp. Then, some family business and family health crisis meant that the min. twice daily care my grow was setup for couldn’t go forward. I wasn’t willing to just wing it and potentially be very disappointed so I pulled the grow down.

Soooo…. to hang on to the genetics, plants were either transplanted into small peat/perlite pots and stored in my greenhouse, or cuttings were taken and rooted.

I have restarted the effort now, having dealt with life’s emergencies, and I’ve decided, for the sake of any future readers, to start a new journal. It will rehash some of the intro I’m afraid so you’ll have to skip through a few posts to get straight to the “new plants”. Apologies if you didn’t get what you came for here, but you’ll live (lol).

There will be a DWC run soon, when temps have moderated and space opens up. I have a couple of very mysterious, very juicy sativa sun mind that might wet your whistle.

Until then I’m running a grow in custom sub irrigated planters that hold over 6 gallons fertigation and seem to be working well so far. Think of it as an upsized hempy grow. Link for the new thread will be in my signature and in a standalone, final, post on this thread coming momentarily.

May Jah-love lift you up, keep you, and sustain you, forever. Amen.
-rd

Here it is, act two of this drawn-out affair.... hope to see you there!

If you're in the states you should look into Southern AG Garden friendly fungicide, especially if your into the DIY part of things. It's the same strain as Hydro guard but 98% pure instead of the 0.038% found in Hydroguard?

Basic math and you could make gallons of Hydroguard from GFF.

Keep water temps down at all cost and run your rooms cooler than recommendations for soil grows.

Cheers!

7D54C133-A170-4ADE-B859-3BAB4ACBA802.jpeg

Whooboy. Look, Heisenberg, I been outta the game a long, long time and though I’ve worked at some hydrogrows (flood&drain SOG, bubbler cloner) and grew outdoors for approx. 8 seasons in the 90s, this is a big deal for me. For decades I’ve dreamt of having my own personal, legal, grow, and the moment has finally arrived. Besides, crystal meth is for chumps, chump!

I detailed the new equipment and the build out of the tent/system I’m about to use in a Build-Journal linked in my signature below. For purposes of reference and 3rd party problem-solving, here’s the 411 on this DWC Cherry-popping run!

Strain
The deets: Gods Gift. 90/10 Indica. Thought to be OG Kush and Gran Daddy Purp mix. THC 18-22% ish, though I’ve read up to 27%. CBD “low to moderate”. Flavour profile reported is sweet, citrus, berry mélange.

Growspace
Grow Equipment: 5x5x6.6 LumoX tent (Cdn co.) located in an old 5x10 insulated old addition to my even older house. This lung-room is sealed w/ expanding foam etc. and ventilated by 10” ceiling extraction fan with thermostat from Lowes, and is airtight when not running. Tent extraction includes 6” tent ducting, with system-sealing backdraft damper controlled by AC inf. T6 w/ advanced controller, that ends in dryer termination hardware outside. Room and tent both have filtered, ground level cool air intakes that can be sealed with timer during co2 deployment.

Enviro Controls

2x 20lb co2 tanks, regulator, Inkbird automatic controller and titan dispersal tubing. Also have a wine making station nearby that pipes it’s co2 into tent.
Heat, Rh, VWAP… while a AC Inf. will extract when extreme RH or heat present, it is for extremes and otherwise creating a steady negative pressure. Controlling finer levels in order to achieve and maintain targets is done by 2 Inkbird heat/cool and Humid/dehumidifier WIFI controllers. Inkbord Rh controls a hypersonic fogger and a sm. Dehumidifier. Inkbird temp controller controls a 9000btu AC unit in lung room and a small heat bulb used for baby chicks plugged into a power bar in the tent.

Reservoir Temps
DWC reservoirs each have enderneath them a graphite heating element (for fish/reptile tanks) that will turn on if water temp goes too low. My Pymmeter controller has two heat probes and can control two heaters independently. I do not have any cooling planned for these reservoirs outside of having insulated and covered with reflective material, using frozen pop bottles as needed and using large 27 gallon tanks to keep ph and temps as stable as possible without going rDWC.

I haven’t committed long term to DWC yet and don’t want to spend the bread on chillers and connection hardware just yet. I’m launching more plants in 4 weeks (got my legal license to grow a few dozen now) and these will be in a SIP of my own design - so I’m experimenting.

Water
We have very soft water and after recent upgrades the lowest chlorine and chloramine levels in the country. My tap water EC is 0.0 and PPMs 10, sometimes 20. Thus, I’m using my tap water unless seeds/seedlings involved.

Nutrients
For DWC base nutes I’ve got a gallon each of Flora Grow, Bloom and Micro and two dry ferts: GH Maxi Grow/Bloom and Megacrop’s new organics-free two part designed for injectors that’s a dead ringer for Jack’s. I actually couldn’t get Jacks at time of order and given current geopolitics and economics decided I needed to act fast. MC’s two part is Part A: 5-12-26 part B: 15-0-0. It has a full micronutrient package, with lots of chelates, and is different than Jack’s in that it contains a small amount of Silica and full Magnesium. It mixes really well, I’ve been using it for greenhouse plants and veggie starts and so far so good.

Additives
I hope to mostly refrain from much of this. The ‘MC 2 part gives good flexibility for throughout lifecycle. I do use 2 things that, especially if things go off the rails, might help. Humboldts Secret Golden Tree and LiquiDirt are my go-to analogues for Superthrive (analogue in usage if not content) I also have a gallon of GH’s Diamond Liquid - a humates product I plan to mix up into a foliar feed with the other two. I also have a kilo of Koolbloom dry, a liquid silica product and a mess of organic amendments not appropriate in a DWC grow.

Beneficials
I do plan on running Hydroguard through the full grow. I’m also going to be doing some RD in hopes of growing/isolating a homegrown batch of hydroguard from the original, like a sourdough starter. I think I have a good tek worked out and will update throughout this grow. I’ve grown and isolated a batch of lactus bacillus I will use and I have purchased small amounts of NPK RAW brand “Grow” and “Bloom” bennies, both of which contain bacillus and mycelium, and a few other crawlers. I’m hopeful also that if I use the constantly cool air source for my air pump I built (undergroundand) and attach a true HEPA filter to its intake that the air pump will no longer be a vector for the sort of fungus and moulds that destroy grows. Hopefully I can get into a decent microscope someday soon too.

I’ve listed all of the above in the possibility it twigs someone onto a fix for any future quagmire I get myself into, whether by omission or commission. As it stands I’m planning to run the MC 2 part.

The Drop…
I dropped my 5 SunWest Genetics God’s Gift seeds into distilled water and giberallic (sp.) acid for 8 hrs after the lightest scuff with fine sandpaper, on April 26-27. Then sat, on whetted (with two isolated bacillus species and distilled water) paper towel between two ceramic plates for 24 hr after that, controlled to maintain 78 degrees. All 5 showed a tail within 12 hrs.

I prepared various elements for the early days by sterilizing them in my 8l pressure cooker I use for mycology. If it couldn’t be trusted to hold up to the temps I just pasteurized using lower temps and shorter duration.

FE703F09-29EB-4801-9480-9C98F6264C83.jpeg

I sterilized the hydroton, my air stones, tweezers, hell whatever I could. Just a habit really. I rinsed the hydroton balls really well 1st. Those bags you see are silicon, bombproof and very useful for sterilizing hydroton among other things like coco, and rooting cubes, etc. Ain’t gonna be no BS in my tent if I can help it.

Planting out
8F6E08CE-8D2F-421E-9B92-A493D7D5B653.jpeg

I mixed up a gallon of hydroguard, bacillus lactus, 100ppm CaliMag, and 100ppm mc 5-12-26. Pasteurized Perlite was dumped in this clean 10x20, and soaked with above. Then I constructed the 4 -5 inch net baskets from the hydroton and rooter-thingies. Using a sterile tweezer I dropped each germinated seed in the hole with loose crumb atop. The 5th seed was planted in a normal 2” pot with Perlite in place hydroton. Will prob grow this out to a mom or giveaway. Only growing out 4 seeds in This DWC.

Results
02C26972-E0B0-4218-8EDE-8C88241C38D5.jpeg

2D1E1F69-586E-4748-8F5B-B96608BB87AD.jpeg

12943C4D-A972-40E9-8672-AF36E302EA61.jpeg

E30614C6-8CFE-4593-BD17-07443FCA3C47.jpeg

04187EAE-1F9E-49CC-839A-ACACA247A124.jpeg

C5B87824-3BA3-41AC-9A4B-629458D7F69D.jpeg

426787D8-4DA1-49C1-940F-7D4C49AD6ACD.jpeg

This plant in last two pics is the runt and is dealing with a very curly root and discolouration on said root and false leaves. We shall see. I’ve also got some safety equipment I don’t want to just glaze over as it’s very important so I’ll detail and discuss separately. Lastly, I recently redid my electronics mounting panel so I’ll show it off tomorrow and whatever I’ve forgotten here.
Hi Rez!

Hope you're doing well and keeping up the fight! I would highly advice you to not use anything other than bacillus amyloliquefaciens. What's in Hydroguard and stay away from any myko strain or any other irrelevant products in water cultures that do more harm than good. Mycelium is irrelevant in water cultures because they all die off when there's no medium to inoculate.

Keep it simple and most important of all CLEAN in pure water culture like DWC and flood tables. Check for root rot and adjust water level to the optimal level. You don't want a saturated wet main root core, that will eventually cause rot/wilt.

Good luck in your growing endeavours and don't be afraid to ask if you ever experience any problems! I've been growing in DWC for decades.

Cheers!

Hi! Thanks so much for taking time to assist me! I hope to put a DWC bucket out this spring and I will take your info and experience to heart.

Right now I'm in a SIP phase, especially as I have to undergo chemo/radiation/major surgery right now, and my DIY SIPs only need filling once a week (Promix fertigated with MegaCrop). I have an organic SIP running too, consisting of my custom vermicompost and Promix.

Back
Top Bottom