Indoor Grow - VenturaGold

Day 38

Personally, I don't think enough pictures are displayed of the Male. It is a plant of strength and stature, which, in my opinion, gives the opportunity to take that trait, and continue to expand on in so many ways......

No_5_day_39.JPG

Day 38

Personally, I don't think enough pictures are displayed of the Male. It is a plant of strength and stature, which, in my opinion, gives the opportunity to take that trait, and continue to expand on in so many ways......

I agree, after all it contributes 50% to the quality of the final product, yet you hear very little to nothing about male selection.

About time the boys got a little respect, lol.

ss

SS: As far as your question about the intersex tendency, if left alone to do as it may: feminized seeds are only about 97% female (according to one of the founders of T.H.Seeds). WheelOFortune can attest to that, as he had purchased feminized seeds and still ended up with a male or two. When people STS or use gibberelic acid, it stresses the plant to a cellular level, not giving it much option on becoming a female. SO, my hypothesis would be that if left unattended, the self pollinating plants would eventually produce a male, at which point, would pollinate the females, and regular seeds would then be produced. As far as the hermie trait, it would still be there, but may become dormant until the plants were stressed enough to produce male flowers.

DGMGH: Your observation of getting seeds with the hermie trait from the seedbank, is not unheard of. Although a reputable seed bank would already have gone through the trouble of breeding that trait out. Mainly due to the fact that they don't want their seeds to be easily replicated. Unfortunately since cannabis isn't federaly legal, Americans have no way to patent their strains, meaning a seed bank could order some seeds from the breeder, replicate the seeds, sell it under the same name, and not have to pay royalties, or whatever would be considered compensation. It's a shame, but it happens on a regular basis, particularly with less reputable (read less expensive) seed banks.

Some of my theory is based on what I've read, and the rest is based on my own personal experience. I have at least two varieties (strains), that carry the intersex trait, and it is for that reason, that I do not choose to add them to my gene pool. I would, however, not be opposed to breeding two intersex prone varieties, such as the Q-1, and a Chocolate Thai that I had noticed hermie traits on as well.

I hope this helps! :ganjamon:

CMX- The interesting thing about intersexing, and there would be 1000s of words written on the subject, is that it isn't necessarily a poor trait. By this, I mean that a plant that is able to reproduce if stressed (ie no male in the area, new grow environments, heat/cold stress, etc), is the essence of nature's way of finding a way.

Kind of like that South Africian runner who is female, but as is nature's way, has higher than normal testosterone levels, directly reesultant from coming from a gene pool that has always required a strong physical physique. That being, a body capable of running down animals for food. She is female, but to look at her you know she is a lean athletic human with a breeding over 1000's of years to suit her geographical conditions requirements.

Getting back to the Q1/Choc Thai Cross, as both share a Thai background, you may find that in nature (Tropical Equator) a plant may get washed down a river from torrential rain, settles on the side of a bank, and as there are no other plants around to fertilise, will throw out a male flower, or be totally hemi, as it still wants to survive. This is why sometimes seeing a grow where the first sign of a hemi freaks out a lot of growers, I personally see as a thumbs up to the grow conditions, and, that the plant will be predominantly female.

The Q1 packs an awesome punch, I have never seen any falling off in potency or genetic stability, that I hear reported, after 15 years. The Choc/Thai I would envisage is very similar in that respect. The cross would be a bullshit strong, potent, aromatic monster, as the sativa would be the dominant gene and the trick for us as growers would be to pull in the maturation time from probably, realistically 16-20 weeks down to about 14 weeks.

I look forward to seeing this cross!!

If potency and yield are good, I would *love* to grow females with the ability to self-pollinate.

Nothing wrong with that.

I have to plant at least twice as many seeds as the number of female plants I hope to wind up with. That's a much bigger pain in the ass and crapshoot than dealing with plants that have hermie traits or aren't 100% female.

Instead of recoiling at the word "hermie", we should learn how to make it work to our advantage, as David has.

ss

I'm fairly nuetral concerning hermies, if grown with minimal stress, the intersex tendencies minimize, and aren't much of an issue. I generally don't see the male flowers until the plant is almost ready to harvest, so the flowers rarely open and cause any problems. If a person was in an environment where access to fresh genes would be scarce, it'd certainly be the way to go. Although as DGMGH stated you would want to at least try to pollinate a sister plant, as opposed to pollinating the plant with it's own.

I'm fairly nuetral concerning hermies, if grown with minimal stress, the intersex tendencies minimize, and aren't much of an issue. I generally don't see the male flowers until the plant is almost ready to harvest, so the flowers rarely open and cause any problems. If a person was in an environment where access to fresh genes would be scarce, it'd certainly be the way to go. Although as DGMGH stated you would want to at least try to pollinate a sister plant, as opposed to pollinating the plant with it's own.

thanks for the follow-up!

I'm not so much in an environment where fresh genes are scarce, but they can be expensive.

For me, the attraction is that I would know each seed I planted would be a girl, albeit with some horn-dog tendencies;)

ss

I agree, after all it contributes 50% to the quality of the final product, yet you hear very little to nothing about male selection.

About time the boys got a little respect, lol.

ss

To scientifically explore, tabulate, define and select superior genetic combinations coupled with specific beneficial growing conditions requires the patience of a monk. Gregor Mendel was that monk. Mendelian genetics is what every breeder of any living thing deals with, knowingly or not.
I am partial to procreation with a knife. Occams razor ;)

To scientifically explore, tabulate, define and select superior genetic combinations coupled with specific beneficial growing conditions requires the patience of a monk. Gregor Mendel was that monk. Mendelian genetics is what every breeder of any living thing deals with, knowingly or not.
I am partial to procreation with a knife. Occams razor ;)

I don't have that kind of patience, and I'm also too lazy to be that exacting.

I'd rather just grow someone's else's hard work;)

Just making some F1 crosses would be cool for now.

If you're after simple, leave the razor out of the equation and plant some seeds;)

I went to the hardware store today to get some rooting gel, and they didn't have any. All they had were these clear gel cubes that you stick the cutting into and then you can actually see the roots growing because of the clear gel.

Comes in a six-pack and says you can stick three cuttings in each cube for a total of 18. You don't have to use any other rooting hormones and you don't have to water them.

I guess once the roots are established you can split the cube and separate the seedlings.

I'll give it a shot and see how it works.

Simpicity in doing and the dream process. "I like this plant. I want more" (remember Oliver Twist?). Cuttings have never busted my stones like stones on a MJ plant. I just cut em and stick em into wet RW starter cubes. Under a dome and a small cfl for 10 days and wa la- new growth! Temperature? What my skin likes.:slide:

Whos thread is this, DGMGH?:nicethread: You have propagated Q1 15 yrs so we agree about cutting up a good thing. FIFTEEN YEARS! +rep! :clap:

Propa Gator

I think something is a bit lost in transaltion? Bu cutting up a good thing, do you mean cutting off clones? or do you mean smoking up some great smoke? Either way, it's all good! But, this is the venturagold journal and I think we all need to get back onto topic.

Goodbye Plant 5 day 44

Goodbye_no_5.JPG

Yesterday afternoon, 2 of the male flowers opened and I was able to dust the females. Today, another 2 opened and it was time for Plant no. 5 to be removed. Great maturity rate, very impressive growth and overall general vigour.

Represents great genetic breeding. Very special seeds from California.

Have pollinated the other 3 girls and am finding I am leaning more to Plant 1 as the mother to keep seed from. Her smell is the most aromatic of all the girls.

Plant 5 head and Plant 1

Plant_5_head_1.JPG
Polli_plant_1.JPG

Plant 2 & 4

Polli_plant_2.JPG
Polli_plant_4.JPG

Hi, Deadtour09,

Have the feeling that the seeds I get will love it outdoors here. Am looking to get a grow of these seeds in October. Come on Spring!!!!!!

Just quick dried the leaves off plant no. 5 and I am very impressed!!

Hi, Deadtour09,

Have the feeling that the seeds I get will love it outdoors here. Am looking to get a grow of these seeds in October. Come on Spring!!!!!!

Just quick dried the leaves off plant no. 5 and I am very impressed!!

I've gotten some pretty decent buzzes off of male tops and flowers.

How much would you weigh the male's vigor and size against potency?

Let's say you had like three male plants and the shrimp blew yer socks off;).

SS,

Great question! The correct answer would be 1000's and 1000's of words long in explanation. It is always the "flip of the coin" as they say.

What I try to do is before I start breeding a strain, aim for a particular trait.

At the end of the day, for the purpose of the VenturaGold journal, I made the decision to use the tallest strongest male and to fertilise all of the remaining females with this particular male. Luckily enough, there wasn't a particularly big difference in taste of either male. Within the pollinated female population, I feel already that Plant no. 1 is the standout from the girls, but, will get to smoke all 3 girls so a decision on which female traits to keep breeding is always easier.

Back
Top Bottom