AKGramma's Perpetual Grow

TY, TS, for the tips.

Assume that "but that's only been my experience" is appended to all my advice; IOW, do not take it for Gospel.

I wont be able to change the lighting from 12/12 until I harvest the ATF seeds.

That'll be your biggest handicap. If I was in that situation, I'd be dragging the candidate out of the grow space at every lights-off to whichever part of your home is best illuminated. An extremely stretched/lanky revegged plant is better than one that failed to reenter the vegetative phase, methinks.

Assume that "but that's only been my experience" is appended to all my advice; IOW, do not take it for Gospel.

That'll be your biggest handicap. If I was in that situation, I'd be dragging the candidate out of the grow space at every lights-off to whichever part of your home is best illuminated. An extremely stretched/lanky revegged plant is better than one that failed to reenter the vegetative phase, methinks.

I thought of that, but with our days rapidly dropping off way up here in the North, there ARE no better illuminated areas of the house (trailer, actually).

She will just have to wait till the space is clear, unless I can switch with a fully-seeded, near to harvest ATF in the same space. Lady ATF would be due to harvest buds (if I had any) on Thursday. I'm watching the seeds for any signs of splitting their calyxes. If I see at least 1/4 of them ready, I'll harvest her and try to save enough green to reveg her, too.

I came to the conclusion today that I like the idea of producing seeds with the first seeds I inherit/buy, so I have a decent stock to work with. I'm no longer interested in sending $ out of the country, hoping my seeds won't be confiscated along the way.

With both seeds and male pollen from several strains, I can fertilize a female of each Feminized strain I have. I don't care if it's a "pure" strain or not. I figure the Afghani seeds and pollen will make a good cross for any of them. It seems to be a sturdy, vigorous, yet shorter addition to the fems I haven't popped yet. Most of them already have an Afghani ancestor.

:reading420magazine:

A fellow Alaskan, MadDabber, crossed a Blueberry with an ATF. He had great things to say about the offspring! So I have two possibilities to create seeds from two Feminized seeds I have.

My Autoberry Fem can be crossed with either a male Afghani (which is an ancestor of the Blueberry) or ATF to add some interesting terpines to the cross.

My Jock Horror Fem Auto can be crossed with a male Afghani, which is also an ancestor of this strain. JH has enough of a complicated Ancestry, that I don't want to add ATF's ancestry to the cross.

Anyway, next time I grow (which may be sooner than I think) I'll be much more careful about preventing cross-pollination. The male will be kept separate and pollination will be done with a sable craft brush.

:reading420magazine:

I staple a long plain white envelope around the branch you decide to use for seed,, unless your doing the whole plant. The envelope lets enough light thru and the paper breathes so you don't sweat the branch. Then after a couple three days remove it and spray with alittle water to deactivate the pollen. This way you can do different crosses on the same plant..... GL there AK

I staple a long plain white envelope around the branch you decide to use for seed,, unless your doing the whole plant. The envelope lets enough light thru and the paper breathes so you don't sweat the branch. Then after a couple three days remove it and spray with alittle water to deactivate the pollen. This way you can do different crosses on the same plant..... GL there AK

I can't visualize this. Got a pic? I don't see what good a collar made from a long envelope would be. You DID say "around", not "over."

over the branch... stapled around.. I'll look and see if I can find a pic,, but I got alot to look thru...

I couldn'd find the pic but I lick sealed the envelope,, I use the long ones,,, and then tear open one of the sides so you have a long tube now with only one end open. Slide it down around the branch you pollinated,, then staple kind of loosely the open end to kind of seal it. That will keep pollen only where you put it. You can pollinate the same plant with afew fathers that ways... Just make sure to label the branch so you'll know whats what when your done. Water is important when you take the envelope off. Or pollen from that branch could hit other branches and you won't know whats what either...

I harvested more ATF seeds today. Many are small, but they are still brown, firm, and when dry, most of them show the leopard spots. The ATF is so sticky it's like trying to pick seeds out of a honey jar!

ATF is at due date for harvest, so I don't see any reason why Afghani can't wait a few more days or a week for me to switch the unit back to 16/8 for reveg.

After letting them dry for a few days, I go back over them with the thumbnail test. If they dent or squish, they get tossed. I even went back over my old seeds and eliminated a lot of pale/underdeveloped seeds with this test. It's very satisfying to be left with a bead jar full of dark, spotted seeds.

When I first started out breeding them, I felt compelled to save every seed, no matter how small or pale. With just a couple breeding sessions, I ended up with so many seeds, mixed good, bad, and ugly, I'm no longer afraid to cull them.

Soon, I'll run out of the little beading jars I store seeds in, and will have to call a halt to breeding. I have enough seeds to last two lifetimes.... IF I become a licensed grower in the next life!

:laugh:

Another attempt at revegging. This is the Afghani. The slats are turned backwards to direct the sunlight in and block the line of sight from neighbors. I also have a ceiling light above that is on 24/0. It is the best I can do till I fully harvest the ATF and switch the grow unit back to 16/8.

We still have about 16 hours of daylight "outside", so it will do for the next week or two. By then, I should know whether or not the Afghani will come back.

Give it time and feed lightly, it'll take off.

I have a hunch that the Afghani, being a landrace, will come back. it seems to me that the closer one gets to the original species, the hardier it is.

Hey gramma all caught up again. Well congrats on the frosty harvest and abundance of seeds!!!! Pretty awesome. Growing is definitely my winter sport lol. Excited to see those crosses grow out, be sure to come yell at me when your back up and running. I'm hoping arctic bowl will be back after his summer break soon too.

Hope all is well for you and the family. Be well!

Back
Top Bottom