MicroGrowerMan's Grow Laboratory Journal

Good Day for a White Wedding.
October 27, 2023

Hey little sister, what have you done?
Hey little sister, who's the only one?
Hey little sister, who's your Superman?
Hey little sister, who's the one you want?
Hey little sister, shotgun

It's a nice day to start again
It's a nice day for a white wedding
It's a nice day to start again

— Song by Billy Idol​

With harvest day coming in about 10 days, I took Seed Queen out of the 4x2 box and into the undisclosed location with Seed King. Truly for this White Widow plant is a Good Day for a White (Widow) Wedding Day.

I was able to knock of enough enough male flowers and feminized pollen to pollenate a few plants, but I only needed a bit.

With the pistils on the main colas fattening up, and the strong majority of pistils turned brown, I pollinated some nice understory buds as well as some larf that still had white pistils. At least I can put the larf to good use in creating seeds. I don't need too many seeds, so we will see if this approach works.

Of course, after giving up her pollen, Seed King went the way of spawning salmon. You served us well, Seed King. As for Seed Queen, today she truly became a White Widow.

After pollination, I switched places: Seed Queen went into isolation under the ViparSpectra XS1000 light for seed development.

I plan to harvest the main colas -- which I did not intentionally pollinate today -- in ten days. With all their brown pistils I'm hoping they were too mature and did not catch enough collateral pollen to create seeds. Plus how far can seeds mature in ten days? We'll see.

I also moved Mildred, the Do-Si-Dos, to 12/12 in the 4x2 Box, where Seed Queen used to reside.

I think the move was a little early, but we will see what Mildred does. She is, after all, more than 8 weeks old. I think she'll fill in from the pruning earlier this week and then we'll see how she stretches.

I do have some clones of her in the soup, giving me plenty of her genetics to play with in the near future. So, I really don't mind coming up a bit light with this plant. A good test.

I'll have a more thorough report on all the plants this weekend.

Thank you for following.

MGM
Well I must say that wasn't much of a Memorial Service for the Seed King. Where was the "slow singing and flower bringing?":)

It's great watching you work MGM. Looking forward! :Rasta:

Well I must say that wasn't much a a Memorial Service for the Seed King. Where was the "slow singing and flower bringing?":)

It's great watching you work MGM. Looking forward! :Rasta:

Well that's the way things go sometimes at a shotgun wedding!

Thank you GDB.

MGM

Hello! Tagged in, GG #4 oh but she yields good, eh? Our second grow we grew out 6 and still possibly the highest yielder we’ve had!

Will catch up the rest later,

Nick
Oh, Hi, Nick, Welcome.

Yes, GG#4 has been my highest yielder, too. Project "Godzilla."

Not sure about this White Widow, though.

I'm glad to have you follow the journal. You ask good questions.

MGM

Clone Me Dr. Memory
October 29, 2023

Cloning is off to a good start with root nubs showing. These Do-Si-Sos clones may replace the Amnesia Trance seedling that is not doing well, or maybe simply take its place in the continuous queue.

Amnesia Trance
Germinated October 2023
Day 9​

The Amnesia Trance came from a non-sponsor breeder who won't be named. This batch of seeds has been weak, and the breeder is making good on a replacement. I'll nurse her and see what happens. At best, she'll lose her place in line.

Do-Si-Dos by Pyramid seeds,
Sold through current sponsor Seedsman.
Feminized Photoperiod.
Germinated August 23, 2023
Day 70
Week 1 of Flip
Project Name: Mildred

Mildred was flipped only two days ago after a severe pruning to prepare her stretch. In two days she has filled out fairly well.

Note the "Seventh Sister" stem in the middle. This is a stem off a 4th node lateral (which has been pruned), it will grow strong into the strong center light of the ViparSpectra XS 1500 in the 2'x2' footprint. Had I used one of the 4th-node laterals it would have grown too strong in the center light.

Mildred has been manifolded and tied down making her a very level girl.

One thing I noticed is that i have two large, lower fan leaves showing some browned edges and some brown spots. Nothing big at the moment. I had reduced cal-mag when I reduced PPM. I think I was mixing a bit rich on the nutes and cut back, I just don't think I needed to cut the cal-mag and have gone back to the previous concentration. This may also be the result of a pH slide I did not address quickly enough. I caught the pH in Mildred's bucket at 6.9 and made some adjustments, both cal-mag and pH.

Nutes:
Currently: 1-tbsp Cal-Mag, 1/2-tbsp MGVH, 1/2-tsp MGBB to 5 Gallons water & ph-adjusted.​
PPM: 950​
Uptake: Over 3 quarts a day​
Lights:
Model: ViparSpectra XS 1500​
Power Setting: 100%​
Height: 24"​
Cycle: 12/12​

White Widow
Two Plants
Seeds Dropped July 15, 2023
Day 109
Week 7 Since Flip
Gravel Gertie

Gertie has about 10-14 days left in her. She has been victim of me pruning her like an indica when she is behaving like a sativa, resulting in some very tall skinny colas. Also, she went dry once because the emitters clogged and I need to pay more attention to pH slide now that I'm mixing my nutes in 5-gallon pots instead of 1-gallon pitchers.

The buds that I do have are very dense and while they are small they are stretched out through a very good distance into the canopy. We'll see what we get. Trichomes are clear to partly cloudy, with a rare amber seen here and there.

Nutes:
Currently: 1-tbsp Cal-Mag, 1/2-tblsp MGV&H to 5 Gallons water & ph-adjusted.​
Uptake: Gravel Gertie is taking over 3 quarts a day.​
Lights:
Model: ViparSpectra XS 1500​
Height: 11"​

Seed Queen

Seed Queen is my jewel right now. She shows very little signs of abuse and neglect. I pollinated her lower buds earlier this week, where I found good, new flowers in the lower buds.

Nutes:
Currently: 1-tbsp Cal-Mag, 1/2-tblsp MGV&H to 5 Gallons water & ph-adjusted.​
Uptake: Seed Queen is taking over 3 quarts a day.​
Lights:
Model: ViparSpectra XS 1000​
Height: 14"​
That is the grow for this past week. Currently, the trichomes on Gravel Gertie look a bit more advanced than on Seed Queen. I'm thinking of harvesting Gravel Gertie sometime this week, drying her for five days, bottling her, then coming back for the upper buds of Seed Queen.

Thank you for following.

Questions and comments are always welcome!

MGM

Wow that’s all pretty epic looking!

Loving the circular LST thingy.

Do you ever test EC? PPM I found wasn’t specific enough, and I find EC correlates better with what we might need out of your light and Co2 (we use big ole tanks of Co2)

Wow that’s all pretty epic looking!

Loving the circular LST thingy.

Do you ever test EC? PPM I found wasn’t specific enough, and I find EC correlates better with what we might need out of your light and Co2 (we use big ole tanks of Co2)
Thank you, Nick.

I've been testing ppm since I started testing a decade ago (before that I just looked at the plant and played by ear), so that is what I am used to. I could try switching to EC. I have seen others using that scale.

MGM

Walkin' in a Winter Wonder Land
October 31, 2023

Trick or Treat, everybody. And it looks like I'm due a sugary treat. It snowed outside for the first time this year, and it's snowin' in the grow room, too!

Gravel Gertie is coming down this week, going up on the drying rack. And I'm feeling fine.

One thing, I would like to ask those who are following, is if I should close this journal once I harvest all the White Widow, and start a new one with my recently cut Do-Si-Dos, clones? I'm thinking about doing some kind of comparative grow between the nutes I use now, and more mainstream stuff.

MGM

Frostilicious!

Idk about the journal. On one hand it helps to see everything in one place, rather than several, but it can also get confusing when there is too much going on. You'll have more of a feel of where this is going. Are you using sponsors' nutes or non? Bear in mind that perpetual journals are not eligible for journal of the month awards.

Nice icicles over there 🥶
When I bass my journals on a new subject I start fresh which is every one I've done 🤣 but for perpetual Or same subject I'd keep running.
Starting some breeding next year so all my pheno hunts and pollinations will be on the same journal and could run a couple of years easily.
✌️💚

Frostilicious!
Nice icicles over there 🥶
Yes. Thank you, and on the first snowfall of the year! We had three inches of snow overnight. Soon I will have many inches of colas and buds on the drying rack.
On one hand it helps to see everything in one place, rather than several, but it can also get confusing when there is too much going on. You'll have more of a feel of where this is going. Are you using sponsors' nutes or non? Bear in mind that perpetual journals are not eligible for journal of the month awards.
When I bass my journals on a new subject I start fresh which is every one I've done 🤣 but for perpetual Or same subject I'd keep running.

Yes, Carmen I am aware of the limitation on continuous grow, thank you. It is an important rule to point out, and I s'pose that's a small limitation of having a continuous grow room. 🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪

Clarity is indeed an issue. So I'm thinking along the lines of creating journals as chapters, or books -- each one with a star plant or set of plants from seed to harvest. When the final weigh-in is in and an appropriate "celebration of life" ceremony is held for that plant, a new chapter (journal) begins with a new planting.

This star plant would be the lead plant on the journal with other plants in development as supporting actors that follow with brief developmental, "Just the facts" report. We'll watch the star or stars, from seed or clone to bottling.

That's the plan.

While a Journal of the Month award would be fun, a sponsored grow would be even more fun. Yes, those things weigh-in on what I'm doing. Yet, the most important reason I'm doing this is that I am dying from prostate cancer and want to leave a journal and support community to my best friend who is currently helping me with my grows and will take over the grow once I have left and be able to supply himself, my wife, and friends with great bud.

As for sponsored nutes, I might do something like a sponsor versus an old hippie and his garden center nutes grow.
I'd eagerly accept a sponsorship from @ViparSpectra as I am wanting to upgrade my XS 1500s to XS 1500 Pros.

Thank you both for responding and helping me get some clarity on what I am doing. If you see any holes in my journal strategy, please let me know. Essentially, will what I laid out be easy to follow?

MGM

I’ll be a long for the journey.

There’s a huge community to help along. I get the sense of wanting to leave a record for sure! You can see how many journals I have!

Lights help, but they’re cap ex. (Unless you bag one of the sponsors offers) I’m trying to get op ex, nutes, medium, time down with a a couple of my grow because that’s more every day money which isn’t to be under estimated 😅

I hear of any deals going or spot a way you might save a buck on this or that I’ll be sure to post to ya!

Sorry man, meh. Life can suck. Gotta enjoy every last minute.

Nick & Co

I’ll be a long for the journey.
Thank you, Nick, I appreciate that. I'll get my buddy on here one of these days and introduce you to him.
There’s a huge community to help along. I get the sense of wanting to leave a record for sure! You can see how many journals I have!
I sure have, they are excellent ones. As for the community, I'm already getting a lot of support from a core group of folks.
Lights help, but they’re cap ex. (Unless you bag one of the sponsors offers) I’m trying to get op ex, nutes, medium, time down with a a couple of my grow because that’s more every day money which isn’t to be under estimated 😅
Boy howdy! I agree with you there. That's why grow with garden center nutes and nursery supply store pots and medium.
I hear of any deals going or spot a way you might save a buck on this or that I’ll be sure to post to ya!
Sounds great.
Sorry man, meh. Life can suck. Gotta enjoy every last minute.
True, that. Party at my house every day until God calls me home. Plus, don't care how bad things get at the end, I'm hosting a wake before I go. Last week, free bud, beer and bourbon with my grow buddy cooking up ribs out back.

Thank you, Nick.

Glory Days
November 1, 2023

Glory days, yeah they'll pass you by
Glory days, in the wink of a young girl's eye
Glory days, glory days
Glory days, glory days
--
Song by Bruce Springsteen

White Widow
Gravel Gertie
Seed Dropped July 15, 2023
Day 112
Week 7.6 Since Flip​

It looks like Gravel Gertie's glory days have come and gone very quickly. In the wink of a young girl's eye she grew her crystals, her yellow and purple colors ... and grew old. She stopped taking water. Stopped taking nutes. Colors changed rapidly as she began to eat herself up.

The telltale sign I've had with this strain is that when she stops taking water leaves grow leathery and trichomes grow brittle. She may look like she had another week, but now is time to harvest.

I gave her a pre-harvest trim last night, and left her in the dark.

Harvest party tonight. Dry rack photos and news at Eleven (or some time like that).

Nutes:
Currently: Zero.​
Uptake: Zip.​
Lights: Nada.​

Glory Days
November 1, 2023

Glory days, glory days
Glory days, glory days
--
Song by Bruce Springsteen

White Widow
Gravel Gertie
Seed Dropped July 15, 2023
Day 112
Week 7.6 Since Flip​

It looks like Gravel Gertie's glory days have come and gone very quickly. In the wink of a young girl's eye she grew her crystals, her yellow and purple colors ... and grew old. She stopped taking water. Stopped taking nutes. Colors changed rapidly as she began to eat herself up.

The telltale sign I've had with this strain is that when she stops taking water leaves grow leathery and trichomes grow brittle. She may look like she had another week, but now is time to harvest.

I gave her a pre-harvest trim last night, and left her in the dark.

Harvest party tonight. Dry rack photos and news at Eleven (or some time like that).

Nutes:
Currently: Zero.​
Uptake: Zip.​
Lights: Nada.​
Good to know.
Happy harvest day!

Good to know.
Happy harvest day!
You're welcome, Carmen.

This has bitten me before. First time with a parent of this seed, another a cross. I finally realized that besides the visual tests for ripeness, a tactile test is needed. I have waited too long on the visuals and ended up with a very sandpaper feel to the buds. Not much good, except for the Hash Compactor.

MG

Back
Top Bottom