MicroGrowerMan's Grow Laboratory Journal

Thanks to your sharp eyes, helping out my dull ones, I was able to go back and make the edit myself. I wanted to get caught up on this grow journal -- on what is growing in it -- by the weekend. However, going over nearly two months of material for this one post got me kind of bleary eyed.

Again, thank you for the help!

MGM
Good morning MGM,

I dropped six standard seeds, bred from genetics obtained from a non-sponsored breeder. They all germinated, and when it came time to transplant I ended up with plants in six 2.7-gallon (10-Liter) nursery pots. They filled four spots in the vegetation cabinet, and two were left in the seedling cabinet. Tight fit until sexing.
I wonder if you might be interested if @Azimuth could give a brief explanation of how to sex plants early as per The Rev's methodology. I've seen a few growers use the methodology successfully, so that resources are not wasted on unwanted plants.

Good morning MGM,

I wonder if you might be interested if @Azimuth could give a brief explanation of how to sex plants early as per The Rev's methodology. I've seen a few growers use the methodology successfully, so that resources are not wasted on unwanted plants.
It's basically putting the seedlings under 12/12 lighting for the first 10 days above ground and then reverting to your normal 18/6 or whatever. Plants will then generally show sex within 25-30 days.

A number of us have tried it with consistent success.

Good morning MGM,

Good Morning!

Yes! Absolutely. I see the post already.

Thank you, Carmen.

MGM

It's basically putting the seedlings under 12/12 lighting for the first 10 days above ground and then reverting to your normal 18/6 or whatever. Plants will then generally show sex within 25-30 days.

Thank you, Azimuth.

First helping me proofread, now this great little nugget of information ... I appreciate your help!

MGM

Good Morning!

Yes! Absolutely. I see the post already.

Thank you, Carmen.

MGM
You're welcome. I haven't grown regs in a while and I only learnt this trick recently. I'm very impressed.

I just did this to a Mean Tree reg. by Edgar Pena and it worked in 6-8 days, female was determined and I flipped back to veg stage and you can see the 1 blade leaves it grew in the transition, it works for sure. SSgrower

I just did this to a Mean Tree reg. by Edgar Pena and it worked in 6-8 days, female was determined and I flipped back to veg stage and you can see the 1 blade leaves it grew in the transition, it works for sure. SSgrower
Should take much longer than that. Or are we not talking about a newly germinated seed? :hmmmm:

Should take much longer than that. Or are we not talking about a newly germinated seed? :hmmmm:
It was an accidental occcurrence as I let the schedule wind. Just so busy with "LIFE" and it happened??? But no not from seed your correct. If I could only SPELL this morning!! SSgrower

Near Disaster at the MGM Ranch
October 21, 2023​

It has been a stressful week.

I got good news on the medical front, and my wife got bad news. And still, the meds I take for my cancer fatigue me just awful. Fortunately, I have my cannabis to smooth things out.

So, last week that med stuff and my desire to catch y’all up to what’s been going on in the room over the last three months took a bit of attention off the grow and I did have some issues.

White Widow
Three Plants
Seeds Dropped July 15, 2023
Day 98
Week 6 Since Flip​

Gravel Gertie.
Seems like the drip emitters got clogged this week, blocking the flow of nutes enough to turn some of the upper leaves into crispy critters. I had been distracted, failing to investigate the situation until it was too late.

Everything seemed to be working, but I did not measure water usage in the pot (ruler), nor did I check output at the emitters; I only checked the tube going into the emitter, and that looked good, but it wasn’t.

Offhand, it looks like I was running too rich on the nutes, which It had been in previous weeks. So I already had a small case of crispy tips. but nutes had been scaled back this week. Then came the drying out, and BINGO!

I don’t think I’m too late to save the upper buds, though. I will have to trim some good trichomes that got fried so it doesn’t invite bud rot and go from there.

Previous experience is that while White Widow leaves can toast up a bit near the lights, the buds seem to thicken up and make a hard little crystal of a nugget—so hard and perfect and crystalline that you could hunt werewolves with them.

Comparatively Gertie is much thinner and stretched than her sister, Seed Queen. But that is what makes her so good for testing light penetration. I just see how far down the plant is making werewolf killing nugs and that gives me an indication of the light penetration.

I do have things unclogged now.

According to breeder I have two three weeks to go before harvest. So I’m starting to clean things up with nutes reduced again this week.

Nutes:
Currently: 1/2-tbsp Cal-Mag, 1/2-tbsp MGVH, 1/2-tsp MGBB to 5 Gallons water & ph-adjusted.​
PPM: 750​
Uptake: (When working) Gravel Gertie is taking over 3 quarts a day.​

Seed Queen.

Much prettier than her sister. Maybe genetics, maybe some dwarfing on my part, but this thing is more compact, bushier, and has thicker buds. Both plants from the same crop of White Widow standard seeds I bred myself.

I had almost half a mind to bring her to harvest and use her sister for seed, but then it hit me: which one would I rather have bear seeds? And then I decide I want the pretty plant genetics.

It’s important to point out that Seed Queen, while as close to the lights as Gravel Gertie, shows no heat stress. So it is not like the other plant was too close to the light — just too close for conditions. And those conditions were Gravel Gertie ran out of water.

Nutes:
Currently: 1/2-tbsp Cal-Mag, 1/2-tbsp MGVH, 1/2-tsp MGBB to 5 Gallons water & ph-adjusted.​
PPM: 750
Uptake: Seed Queen is taking over 3 quarts a day.​

Seed King.

Currently Seed King is pregnant with pollen and awaiting breeding with Seed Queen. No drama here, except she is held in an undisclosed location far from the main grow room.

I think there may be a good day for a white wedding this week.

Nutes:
Uptake: Hand watered 1 Quart every two days.​

Do-Si-Dos by Pyramid seeds,
Sold through current sponsor Seedsman.
Feminized Photoperiod.
Germinated August 23, 2023
Day 59
Project Name: Mildred​

Everything is going quite well with Mildred, so well she earned her name this week. A fine name.

Currently she needs a bit of a trim, and perhaps some clones taken, particularly if the Amnesia Trance seeds I’ve started continue their non-viability streak.

I’d like to flip her soon.

I have been concerned about running nutes too rich throughout my grow, particularly after moving to high-frequency fertigation. It seems to me that with all the plants’ added liquid uptake it also increased the amount of nutes going through and I may need a more dilute solution. So I have adjusted down.

Nutes:
Uptake: Hand watered 1 Quart every two days.​

Amnesia Trance by non-sponsoring breeder.
Feminized Photoperiod.
Germinated October 20, 2023
Day 2​

All the seeds I’ve gotten from this batch have been weak. Unusual for this breeder. We’ll see if I can nurse this thing to health.

Nutes:
Currently: 1/4-tsp Cal-Mag, 1/4-tsp MGVH, to 1 Gallon water & ph-adjusted.​
PPM: 550​
Uptake: Hand sprayed as needed.​

Thank you for following!

MGM

Looking great and the burn doesn't look too bad from here 🤞 you don't have to loose too much. Mildred looks ready to rumble! Lots of sites bursting through 👌

Looking great and the burn doesn't look too bad from here 🤞 you don't have to loose too much. Mildred looks ready to rumble! Lots of sites bursting through 👌
Thank you, Greenvein, I appreciate the words of encouragement.

Busy Week at the MGM Ranch
October 24, 2023
It's fixin' to be a very busy week this week. Mildred, the Do-Si-Dos plant whose seed I acquired from sponsor Seedsman, received her final trim before flip as part of a clone harvest. Seed Queen, the White Widow, is getting ready for her wedding with Seed King. And the Amnesia Trance is still struggling. There will be some moving and grow box optimization this week. Very exciting.

Do-Si-Dos by Pyramid seeds,
Sold through current sponsor Seedsman.
Feminized Photoperiod.
Germinated August 23, 2023
Day 62
Project Name: Mildred
Mildred was getting quite bushy and sweaty and needed a good trim. I needed a few clones of her: a couple for breeding and a couple for testing. I took eight clones from the Seven Sister stems, did the Clonex dip and got her started in the Octo-Cloner.

Mildred looks a bit naked now, but she has just been sheared and tied down. She will look much better tomorrow as the seven stems turn up toward the light. I am quite ready to flip the girl. She is ready, too.

Nutes:
Currently: 1/2-tbsp Cal-Mag, 1/2-tbsp MGVH to 5 Gallons water & ph-adjusted.​
Uptake: High-frequency fertigation, 1 quart a day.​

White Widow
Three Plants
Seeds Dropped July 15, 2023
Day 101
Week 6.4 Since Flip
Open the doors to the cabinets and I get a big punch of grape with a slap of lemon afterwards. It doesn't just fill the cabinet, though, it also fills the room and the house and greets you at the front door. But what do I care? It's legal here and I live in the country.

Gravel Gertie got a trim to get rid of the crispy leaves from last week and is filling in. Still having a bit of trouble with the emitter system so I tore it apart and cleaned it. Seems to be working now.

I'm still struck by the difference between Gravel Gertie and Seed Queen. Compared to her sister, Gertie seems to have over-stretched, and that stretched out the spacing of the buds. They are thin, but dense, and run somewhere around 20" long with the largest colas.

As for Seed Queen her colas are twice as thick, very dense, with strong, productive laterals; but they are only 9" long at best.

Seed King ... not much has changed with her. She is ready with her pollen.

Nutes:
Uptake: (When working) Gravel Gertie is taking over 3 quarts a day.​

Amnesia Trance by non-sponsoring breeder.
Feminized Photoperiod.
Germinated October 20, 2023
Day 4​

Don't know if this thing will make it. Now seeing some tiny first leaves. Such a runt.

Nutes:
Currently:
1/4-tsp Cal-Mag, 1/4-tsp MGVH, to 1 Gallon water & ph-adjusted.
PPM: 550
Uptake: Hand sprayed as needed.

That's the latest. I hope you enjoy following this journal!

MGM

Thank you Grand Daddy Black!

Stand by for very exciting times.

This week:
  • Pollinating Seed Queen, and moving her to the veg box for isolation at 12/12
  • Flipping Mildred -- moving her to the 4x2 flower box, where Seed Queen was, for 12/12
  • Memorial Service for Seed King.
Two Weeks:
  • Harvest Gravel Gertie.
MGM

Good Day for a White Wedding.
October 27, 2023

Hey little sister, what have you done?
Hey little sister, who's the only one?
Hey little sister, who's your Superman?
Hey little sister, who's the one you want?
Hey little sister, shotgun

It's a nice day to start again
It's a nice day for a white wedding
It's a nice day to start again

— Song by Billy Idol​

With harvest day coming in about 10 days, I took Seed Queen out of the 4x2 box and into the undisclosed location with Seed King. Truly for this White Widow plant is a Good Day for a White (Widow) Wedding Day.

I was able to knock off enough enough male flowers and feminized pollen to pollinate a few plants, but I only needed a bit.

With the main colas fattening up, and the strong majority of pistils turned brown, I pollinated some nice understory buds as well as some larf that still had white pistils. At least I can put the larf to good use in creating seeds. I don't need too many seeds, so we will see if this approach works.

Of course, after giving up her pollen, Seed King went the way of spawning salmon. You served us well, Seed King. As for Seed Queen, today she truly became a White Widow.

After pollination, I switched places: Seed Queen went into isolation under the ViparSpectra XS1000 light for seed development.

I plan to harvest the main colas -- which I did not intentionally pollinate today -- in ten days. With all their brown pistils I'm hoping they were too mature and did not catch enough collateral pollen to create seeds. Plus how far can seeds mature in ten days? We'll see.

I also moved Mildred, the Do-Si-Dos, to 12/12 in the 4x2 Box, where Seed Queen used to reside.

I think the move was a little early, but we will see what Mildred does. She is, after all, more than 8 weeks old. I think she'll fill in from the pruning earlier this week and then we'll see how she stretches.

I do have some clones of her in the soup, giving me plenty of her genetics to play with in the near future. So, I really don't mind coming up a bit light with this plant. A good test.

I'll have a more thorough report on all the plants this weekend.

Thank you for following.

MGM

Back
Top Bottom