MicroGrowerMan's GroLab: Chasing Godzilla Under The ViparSpectra Sun

MicroGrowerMan’s GroLab: Chasing Godzilla under the ViparSpectra Sun
A Do-Si-Dos Comparative Grow Journal
November 13, 2023

History shows again and again
How nature points out the folly of men
Godzilla!

— Song by Blue Öyster Cult

Godzilla is a legend in my own basement.

A Do-Si-Dos strain that produced 10 ounces of extremely flavorful, high-THC bud in a 2x2 footprint using ViparSpectra XS 1000 and XS 1500 lights. Medium was 30% peat moss/70% perlite in a 12-gallon pot.

My grow buddy, Lawrence, aka, “Lawrence of Cannabis” wonders why we don’t still grow with the perlite/peat mix in large pots, and questions why I went to pure perlite in 2.7-gallon pots.

Portability was the main reason. My grow box system is designed for plants that move from box to box, and for moving into a photo studio that I am setting up in the trim room. My cancer treatments have taken quite a bit of my strength so light-weight portability is important.

Control was another. Under the peat/perlite system, the peat acted as the buffer to my tap water’s alkalinity, most of the time; and the calcium and magnesium from my Lake Michigan water source acted without the need for cal-mag, most of the time. Most of the time it worked, but the other times drove me nuts, particularly using peat as an acidic buffer in 2.7-gallon pots. That was really hit or miss.

So I decided to go scientific. Get some meters. Complicate my life in the name of simplicity and go naked with perlite. I think I’m getting it dialed in.

The Comparison

This is old, versus new.

The old peat/perlite grow where we may try to get a better handle on our nute/ph. situation using some of our newer equipment. We’ll finish vegging and complete flowering of one clone in the 12-gallon pot with the old mix. Low-frequency fertigation.

The other is the new method, using pure perlite in 2.7-gallon pots -- high-frequency fertigation/hempy pot reformed.

And, since this big jump in productivity happened after installing new, ViparSpectra XS 1500 and XS 1000 lights, that's what we'll be growing under here.

What will do best?

Follow this journal and find out.

Here are the players:

Do-Si-Dos Clones of Plant from Pyramid seeds,
Sold through current sponsor
Seedsman.
Feminized Photoperiod.
Five Plants: Mildred, and her four clones, The Little Sisters of Mildred

Project Name: Little Sisters of Mildred, (Do-Si-Dos)
Feminized Photoperiod.
Into Cloner: October 21
Removed from Cloner & Planted: November, 8; Day 18,
Day 5

After 18 days in the cloner, I took four select Little Sisters of Mildred out of the soup and transplanted them into 2.7-gallon (10-liter) pots of 100% perlite. The bottom of each pot was lined with landscape fabric to prevent the perlite from escaping the pot.

The perlite in the pots was lightly soaked with a dilute solution of nutes to make the perlite moldable enough I could form holes that would accept the extensive root structure of the clones with minimal damage.

The holes were backfilled with the perlite as the roots were covered over and sprayed with a light solution of nutes. Once the backfilling of the hole was complete and the roots were fully covered, more of the nutes were poured over each pot, with a concentration in the middle of the pot.

The clone transplants were put into the vegetation box, under a ViparSpectra XS 1000 light running at 25% at 32" above the canopy with light increased and distance decreased until the plants recovered from transplant shock.

I’m currently hand-watering while awaiting new parts for my irrigation system.

We will select two of the clones for the comparative grow. The two others may be used for seeding.

Nutes:
Seedlings and Early Veg Mix​
1/2-tsp Cal Mag/Gallon​
1/4-tsp Miracle Gro Vegetable & Herbs/Gallon (18-18-21)​
pH Adjusted​
650 ppm​
Lights:
ViparSpectra XS 1000​
25%-50%​
32-24 inches above plants​

Project Name: Mildred, the Bell Cow (Do-Si-Dos)
Feminized Photoperiod.
Germinated: August 23, 2023
Flipped: October 28, 2023
Day 85, Week 2.3 Since Flip

Mildred is the clone Mama. And the Bell Cow. We'll study her tendencies as she matures and apply them to her little sisters.

So far we know Mildred just won’t stretch much, she has gone from being split for manifolding and 5-inches tall to a total of 10-inches tall. We hope she grows more.

Even though she is not stretching a lot we have one consolation: the buds are getting really thick, so we should have some fatties here

Reminder: These don’t stretch much!

Nutes:
Early Flowering Mix​
1/2-tsp Cal Mag/Gallon​
1/2-tsp Miracle Gro Vegetable & Herbs/Gallon (18-18-21)​
1/2-tsp Miracle Gro Bloom Booster (10-50-10)​
pH Adjusted​
1050 ppm​
Lights:
ViparSpectra XS 1500​
100%​
16-inches above plants​

Amnesia Trance by non-sponsoring breeder.
Feminized Photoperiod.
Germinated October 20, 2023
Day 24​

This is a tag-along to the journal. She is in the system, but is not the focus of the journal. If something goes horribly wrong with this grow, this plant may end up the subject of my next journal.

May... It has been a problem child.

For example, this sure doesn’t look like Day 24. This thing has been quite a struggle to get going, but a lot of TLC finally got her out of her funky, slow, deformed stage and now growing into something. Her main shoot still isn't very strong.

Thing is, she has lost her place in line and may be transplanted and condemned to an early blurple life until a space opens up ahead of her in the grow box system.

Nutes:
1/2-tsp Cal Mag/Gallon​
pH Adjusted​
650 ppm​
Applied with spray bottle​

Lights:
Mix of household daylight and cheap blurple flat panels kept at 20 inches above plant.​

Lawrence should be around here any day now. He is busy getting ready for Thanksgiving. He has lots of family coming in. Lot of them are big fans of our bud. So good times are sure to be coming up!

Hope you follow and we all learn something along the way.

MGM

November 13, 2023

Godzilla!

A Do-Si-Dos strain that produced 10 ounces of extremely flavorful, high-THC bud in a 2x2 footprint using ViparSpectra XS 1000 and XS 1500 lights. Medium was 30% peat moss/70% perlite in a 12-gallon pot.

My grow buddy, Lawrence, aka, “Lawrence of Cannabis” wonders why we don’t still grow with the perlite/peat mix in large pots, and questions why I went to pure perlite in 2.7-gallon pots.

Portability was the main reason. My grow box system is designed for plants that move from box to box, and for moving into a photo studio that I am setting up in the trim room. My cancer treatments have taken quite a bit of my strength so light-weight portability is important.

Control was another. Under the peat/perlite system, the peat acted as the buffer to my tap water’s alkalinity, most of the time; and the calcium and magnesium from my Lake Michigan water source acted without the need for cal-mag, most of the time. Most of the time it worked, but the other times drove me nuts, particularly using peat as an acidic buffer in 2.7-gallon pots. That was really hit or miss.

So I decided to go scientific. Get some meters. Complicate my life in the name of simplicity and go naked with perlite. I think I’m getting it dialed in.

The Comparison

This is old, versus new.

The old peat/perlite grow where we may try to get a better handle on our nute/ph. situation using some of our newer equipment. We’ll finish vegging and complete flowering of one clone in the 12-gallon pot with the old mix. Low-frequency fertigation.

The other is the new method, using pure perlite in 2.7-gallon pots -- high-frequency fertigation/hempy pot reformed.

And, since this big jump in productivity happened after installing new, ViparSpectra XS 1500 and XS 1000 lights, that's what we'll be growing under here.

What will do best?

Here are the players:

Seedsman.
Feminized Photoperiod.

Feminized Photoperiod.
Day 5

After 18 days in the cloner, I took four select Little Sisters of Mildred out of the soup and transplanted them into 2.7-gallon (10-liter) pots of 100% perlite. The bottom of each pot was lined with landscape fabric to prevent the perlite from escaping the pot.

The perlite in the pots was lightly soaked with a dilute solution of nutes to make the perlite moldable enough I could form holes that would accept the extensive root structure of the clones with minimal damage.

The holes were backfilled with the perlite as the roots were covered over and sprayed with a light solution of nutes. Once the backfilling of the hole was complete and the roots were fully covered, more of the nutes were poured over each pot, with a concentration in the middle of the pot.

The clone transplants were put into the vegetation box, under a ViparSpectra XS 1000 light running at 25% at 32" above the canopy with light increased and distance decreased until the plants recovered from transplant shock.

We will select two of the clones for the comparative grow. The two others may be used for seeding.

Nutes:
1/2-tsp Cal Mag/Gallon​
pH Adjusted​
650 ppm​
Lights:
ViparSpectra XS 1000​
25%-50%​

Feminized Photoperiod.

Mildred is the clone Mama. And the Bell Cow. We'll study her tendencies as she matures and apply them to her little sisters.

So far we know Mildred just won’t stretch much, she has gone from being split for manifolding and 5-inches tall to a total of 10-inches tall. We hope she grows more.

Even though she is not stretching a lot we one consolation: the buds are getting really thick, so we should have some fatties here

Nutes:
Early Flowering Mix​
1/2-tsp Cal Mag/Gallon​
pH Adjusted​
1050 ppm​
Lights:
ViparSpectra XS 1500​
100%​
16-inches above plants​

Feminized Photoperiod.
Day 24​

This is a tag-along to the journal. She is in the system, but is not the focus of the journal. If something goes horribly wrong with this grow, this plant may end up the subject of my next journal.

For example, this sure doesn’t look like Day 24. This thing has been quite a struggle to get going, but a lot of TLC finally got her out of her funky, slow, deformed stage and now growing into something. Her main shoot still isn't very strong.

Thing is, she has lost her place in line and may be transplanted and condemned to an early blurple life until a space opens up ahead of her in the grow box system.

Nutes:
1/2-tsp Cal Mag/Gallon​
pH Adjusted​
650 ppm​

Lights:
Mix of household daylight and cheap blurple flat panels kept at 20 inches above plant.​

Lawrence should be around here any day now. He is busy getting ready for Thanksgiving. He has lots of family coming in. Lot of them are big fans of our bud. So good times are sure to be coming up!

MGM
Interesting setup brother and I’m going along for the journey. Happy growing and good luck.👍 CL🍀. :thumb: :cheer:

November 13, 2023

Godzilla!

The Comparison

This is old, versus new.

What will do best?

Here are the players:

Seedsman.
Feminized Photoperiod.

Feminized Photoperiod.
Day 5

Nutes:
1/2-tsp Cal Mag/Gallon​
pH Adjusted​
650 ppm​
Lights:
ViparSpectra XS 1000​
25%-50%​

Feminized Photoperiod.

Even though she is not stretching a lot we one consolation: the buds are getting really thick, so we should have some fatties here

Nutes:
Early Flowering Mix​
1/2-tsp Cal Mag/Gallon​
pH Adjusted​
1050 ppm​
Lights:
ViparSpectra XS 1500​
100%​
16-inches above plants​

Feminized Photoperiod.
Day 24​

Nutes:
1/2-tsp Cal Mag/Gallon​
pH Adjusted​
650 ppm​

Lights:

MGM
I love Mildred's size and structure! Looking forward to watching her progress. 👀

I'll bet when Lawrence enters the picture this is going to be twice the fun! :)

Thank you, Carmen,

Lawrence and I think the competitive/comparative between two friends should bring some fun and excitement. He still wonders why I walked away from the other growing method. I got an earful from him last night on the subject as we watched the football game on TV over at his place.

MGM

I love Mildred's size and structure! Looking forward to watching her progress. 👀

I'll bet when Lawrence enters the picture this is going to be twice the fun! :)
Oh, he's always been in the picture, at least with his mask on. 😁😁😁

Here he is with one of the colas from Godzilla.

He helps a lot. Harvest day is always a party. His voice on the grow has grown with his knowledge as he has helped me and become an important part of what we do. So now I've gotten him to agree to come on here so y'all can hear that voice.

MGM

Oh, he's always been in the picture, at least with his mask on. 😁😁😁

Here he is with one of the colas from Godzilla.

He helps a lot. Harvest day is always a party. His voice on the grow has grown with his knowledge as he has helped me and become an important part of what we do. So now I've gotten him to agree to come on here so y'all can hear that voice.

MGM
You’re a good man Lawrence and you and MGM are a good team. You two fight the good fight together and that’s awesome 👏. CL🍀. :thumb: :cheer:

Thank you, Carmen,

Lawrence and I think the competitive/comparative between two friends should bring some fun and excitement. He still wonders why I walked away from the other growing method. I got an earful from him last night on the subject as we watched the football game on TV over at his place.

MGM
I got an earful from him last night on the subject as we watched the football game on TV over at his place.
Hey man, I'm trying to watch the game! :laugh:

Hey man, I'm trying to watch the game! :laugh:
We were pretty much freaking out over the Detroit Lions.

We're just not used to all this winning stuff. We used to just pour a bourbon, turn on the game, light up a fattie, watch them lose and light up another fattie, talk about growing weed ...

Now we have to wait until half time to talk about weed!

:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

MGM

Detroit looks good!

I'm happy for them, especially 'cause I've got to watch them every Thanksgiving! :)

It'll be interesting to see how Do si dos responds to your system, not to mention the comparison to your old method.
Indeed, Melville,

We have a fairly good idea of what can happen with the peat/perlite method. This was a very low-maintenance style of growing, however the issue has been consistency. Tap water most of the year is very hard water, fairly alkaline, with Lake Michigan itself sitting on a huge shelf of calcium.

Things change in the fall when river effluence into Lake Michigan gets more acidic as it is carrying rotting fall leaves. pH can vary from low to mid 8s to mid 7s.

Then there is peat moss, which is acidic, but its acidity varies, too! From bag to bag!

The way this system is supposed to work is that a course mix of peat moss into the perlite creates micro zones where the roots find happiness. With most variations in water and peat most pH, things usually work. Sometimes, no.

BUT! I like pretty plants. And wanted more consistency in addition to the portability of the 2.7-gallon pot.

On the other hand I think we are starting to get dialed in on the nute concentration and frequency for the Do-Si-Dos using Mildred the Bell Cow.

I had been light at 850 ppm and then pushed nutes up to 1050 ppm and saw some slight overdosing. Only used a gallon of that mix, and seeing the very, very early signs of burn I backed off with a gallon of 650 ppm to give it a break.

I think my ideal sits around 900 ppm. (Oh, and I should be changing to EC soon).

Another issue is how much is too much? Michigan has a generous possession limit of 10 ounces, which was the amount of the Godzilla harvest. We like to stay within the law, so harvesting 10 or more ounces presents logistic issues, like a staged harvest and then sharing the bounty with Lawrence, and giving cured weed to friends.

So when GDB asks, "What happens when we catch Godzilla?" Well, it's party time for us and our friends.

Thank you for following.

MGM

Indeed, Melville,

We have a fairly good idea of what can happen with the peat/perlite method. This was a very low-maintenance style of growing, however the issue has been consistency. Tap water most of the year is very hard water, fairly alkaline, with Lake Michigan itself sitting on a huge shelf of calcium.

Things change in the fall when river effluence into Lake Michigan gets more acidic as it is carrying rotting fall leaves. pH can vary from low to mid 8s to mid 7s.

Then there is peat moss, which is acidic, but its acidity varies, too! From bag to bag!

The way this system is supposed to work is that a course mix of peat moss into the perlite creates micro zones where the roots find happiness. With most variations in water and peat most pH, things usually work. Sometimes, no.

BUT! I like pretty plants. And wanted more consistency in addition to the portability of the 2.7-gallon pot.

On the other hand I think we are starting to get dialed in on the nute concentration and frequency for the Do-Si-Dos using Mildred the Bell Cow.

I had been light at 850 ppm and then pushed nutes up to 1050 ppm and saw some slight overdosing. Only used a gallon of that mix, and seeing the very, very early signs of burn I backed off with a gallon of 650 ppm to give it a break.

I think my ideal sits around 900 ppm. (Oh, and I should be changing to EC soon).

Another issue is how much is too much? Michigan has a generous possession limit of 10 ounces, which was the amount of the Godzilla harvest. We like to stay within the law, so harvesting 10 or more ounces presents logistic issues, like a staged harvest and then sharing the bounty with Lawrence, and giving cured weed to friends.

So when GDB asks, "What happens when we catch Godzilla?" Well, it's party time for us and our friends.

Thank you for following.

MGM
Huh. The water here comes from Lake Ontario, but my buddy hasn't noticed any shifts in ph between the seasons. Maybe they adjust it before it goes into the pipes here.
I've never really tested it myself, just checked it when I was having problems so that when people asked about it I could give them an answer.
The possession limit here in Ontario is 30g, but that's in public. In your home you can have pretty much as much as you want.
If they find 10kg of weed, you might face a bit of extra scrutiny from law enforcement, but there's no limit listed in federal or provincial law.
I guess Michigan is worried about there being a temptation to sell it if you have more.

Huh. The water here comes from Lake Ontario, but my buddy hasn't noticed any shifts in ph between the seasons. Maybe they adjust it before it goes into the pipes here.
The water comes from an intake that is only a few hundred yards from the mouth of a local river. The information that the seasonal changes in pH in that river affects the pH in our tap water came from the local water authority. The lake is stable, the river is not.
I guess Michigan is worried about there being a temptation to sell it if you have more.
That was the big worry, but what has happened is that gifting culture among home growers and economies of scale at the large legal entities has pretty much depressed prices. I know people growing as caretakers and quit because they could not compete with low prices around here.

MGM

I think I'll watch this one too, MGM! Your story of Godzilla told in your other journal was too good to resist having a peep!
Thanks, B!

Glad you are here. I see in your signature that you grow in a micro space, too. Always good to have other micro growers around to share ideas.

MGM

Back
Top Bottom