MicroGrowerMan's Grow Laboratory Journal

Nutes!

By popular demand I have rushed to add a bit about the nutes I'm using and how I apply them.

But first are the children in bed? The door locked? Tender Eyes averted? The weak of heart warned?

Here is what I use:

20.jpeg

That’s right, Miracle-Gro® Products. But notice, it’s not that crap in the green and yellow box. No, this is different stuff.

It’s Miracle-Gro Vegetables & Herbs (MGV&H). And it contains a water-soluble organic fertilizer! Just smell it and you could fall in love with it. It smells like … VICTORY!

I ran across it during the dark days of oppression when even a legal grow could get your home confiscated, and visits to hydro stores or orders of grow materials would warrant a search. And, it’s stuck with me.

What excited me was this:

Soy Protein Hydrolysates.

Wow! Water soluble organics! Visions of amino acids, enzymes, bio-stimulants and catalysts danced in my mind. All on the shelves of my local hardware store.

And you know what? This stuff has delivered.

Here is some research on the nutrient:

This stuff works. I believe it helps build stronger stalks, improved root systems, and better-tasting bud. On that last point, that is what I get told when I share or give away my bud.

One more time:

Soy Protein Hydrolysates.

They are what makes this Miracle-Gro® product work for me.

More about the Nute Soup
  • Tap water at 7.0-8.0 ph., 180-200 PPM
  • Cal-Mag at half recommended application
  • Miracle-Gro® Vegetable & Herb at 1/4 -1 tsp. a gallon, depending on grow stage
  • Miracle-Gro® Bloom Booster at 1/4 tsp. a gallon during bloom added to Miracle Gro-Vegetable and Herb.
  • ph-Down added at end of mix to get to a ph of 6.0
Application Rate: Amount varies up to 3 quarts a day, with fractional applications up to 12 ounces made 8-times a day.

I've had some issues moving up from hand watering and mixing in 1-gallon jugs and automated watering from 5-gallon pots. The first was the worst: I just wasn't making the quantity translations up to 5 gallons properly. I was flakey, was thinking I was making measurements when I wasn't and once doubled up the nutes by mistake. Still the plants survived to thrive.

I've also had a problem with ppm and ph drifting up. I have some theories. One is that this is a water-soluble nute and all the different compounds dissolve at different rates, making my pots hotter as the 5-gallon pot is used. I ph adjust and dilute. There may also be a compound in the Bloom Booster that is causing the ph creep over the course of a week. I'm creeping about a point a day. I got myself burned and a case of crispy tips, I believe, when things went north of 6.5 up to 6.8.

Now, things are all about getting the nute schedule and mixes nailed down. They have worked wonderfully for me before, I hope I can get them working in this medium.

MGM
@MicroGrowerMan ,

Nice set-up. I would love to follow along.

I grow sterile hydro in a 20 gallon reservoir with a top feed drip as well. I germinate, then grow, then dry in the same 2' x 3' x 6' cabinet. My entire operation (including shelving for nutes and accessories) fits on a 5' x 7' rug. I grow a single plant at a time and average around 300 grams cured per plant.

I used similar "Miracle Grow" type products back in the nineties before I stopped growing for twenty years. They worked well (see the link in my signature). A single (outdoor) plant yielded 9+ pounds. I'm sure you will be successful with your set-up.

Thank you for your support, Hafta.

That is an impressive grow and support system in such a small space. Good job! I love a good micro grow. I'll need to check out your stuff.

MGM

I'm following, thanks I too quit growing until these state laws starting falling, then I did more research and found "Indoor Growing", Wow, little money, I can learn this hydro so I got my feet wet with Coco/perlite and 3 years later here I AM! Sgrower

I'm following, thanks I too quit growing until these state laws starting falling, then I did more research and found "Indoor Growing", Wow, little money, I can learn this hydro so I got my feet wet with Coco/perlite and 3 years later here I AM! Sgrower
Thank you, SSgrower. I'm very happy to have you following!

I am conducting this journal because I like to experiment and during the course of my experimentation I had a very successful grow, and I had no record of how I achieved it. Nothing to share with others. Quite frankly it was an ugly plant that delivered what I considered big results. And because it was an ugly duckling I kept no records, no photos for records.

What do I consider a big harvest? 10 ounces of solid GG#4 grown on a 2'x2' footprint under a ViparSpectra XS 1500 light. 2.25 ounces a square foot, 1.9 grams a watt.

I have been a stealth grower even when things were legal for medical patients like myself. As a result I do have some peculiar growing habits, which include nutes.

Currently I am experimenting with 100% perlite in 2.7-gallon buckets using the High-Frequency Fertigation technique. Also I'm experimenting with the canopy level and penetration efficacy of the ViparSpectra XS 1500 lights. I suspect that the increase in bud density and length of cola using the ViparSpectra XS 1500 over my previous light was a significant reason for my big, bountiful harvest. The White Widow strain in my experience gets really leggy after the stretch, so it makes a good plant to do this experiment.

My biggest regret at the moment is that my largest plant, the one I call Gravel Gertie may have been defoliated a bit too much 2 weeks after flip. To a degree that is the character of the strain, and in that light I may have overdone it. Good for the light penetration, though.

Other issues I'm investigating are salts buildup in such a small pot with a large plant using HFF, and there is a current issue with ph. slide with my current nutes. Nothing that was a problem when mixing up gallons for hand watering, but seems to have changed with the larger mixes used over a longer period of time.

Grow Room: Is an old coal room, 9’ W x9’6’ W x Sloping 5’11” to 6’2” T
Ambient Temperature:
60ºF Winter to 72ºF Summer
Box Temperatures:
Winter:
60º F Evenings to-75ºF Days
Summer: 75º F Evenings 85ºF Days​

The grow room consists of three 2'x2'x5' cabinets for plant propagation and early vegetation, and one 2'x4'x6" for late vegetation and flowering. The system was designed for maximum fun and minimum heavy lifting.

Of significant importance, the room was designed so my grows and harvests conform to all Michigan statutes. I am a confirmed micro grower and proud of it.

Each of four boxes was built for a specific stage of plant growth. Although there is some use flexibility built into each cabinet, for example my 2'x2'5' early veg box has been used successfully for flowering.

Each box is fitted with cleats fitted to their interiors that allow for the suspension and adjustment of plant height by adjusting shelf height; 2x4s and 1x4s are used as risers to fine tuning.

Here is a bit of a tour:

The Room:

Breeding Cabinet: 2x2x5 with 4, cheap, 25-watt blurple flat-panel LED lights.
For cloning and creation of feminized seed.​
Currently Hosting: empty.​

Germination Cabinet: 2x2x5 with 2 cheap, 25-watt, blurple fllat-panel LED lights and 3 standard 14-watt, daylight, 14-watt bulbs.
For seed germination and early vegetation.​
Currently Hosting:
Top shelf: Amnesia Trance strain seeded today​
Bottom Shelves: 5-gal. nute bucket for the adjoining veg cabinet.​

Vegetation Cabinet: 2x2x5 with 1 ViparSpectra® XS1000 100-watt LED grow light.
For mid-stage and finish vegetation.​
Currently Hosting: “Mildred,” Do-Si-Dos by Pyramid seeds, sold through current sponsor Seedsman®. Germinated August 25, 2023​

Finish Cabinet: 2x4x6 with 2 ViparSpectra® XS1500 150-watt LED grow lights.
For finish vegetation and flowering.​
Currently hosting: “Gertrude” (aka Gravel Gertie) on the left, and “Seed Queen” on the right. Both are White Widow genetics acquired from Amsterdam Marijuana Seeds (AMS), grown from standard seeds. Germinated on July 15, 2023.​

Additionally a few convenience items:

Shelves are kept elevated to help make flushing and draining easier.

Large saucers sit on turntable bearings for aiding pruning and inspection.

Connection nipples for each pot allow me to move pots without removing the drip irrigation emitters.

And now a couple of closer looks at Gravel Gertie and Seed Queen, Week 5 after flip.

Hope you follow and enjoy the experience!

MGM
Nice grow 👍

Time to get on with the good stuff. I will catch y'all up to what has been going over the next week or so. First stop is the easiest one, since I dropped the seed only two days ago. I do include a bit of a tutorial on how I germinate.

The Amnesia Trance Story

I love this strain! And it’s the first one for me to give you background on it, because I just dropped the seed yesterday. So it’s easy. I’ll give you background so you can catch up with the other plants in the system, but this is one for now is a good quickie — and it has a short tutorial.

Amnesia Trance from previous grow:

Amnesia Trance from non-sponsored breeder.
Feminised, photoperiod.
Day 2.

Personal Comments:

This is my favorite strain. Sativa-dominant, when harvested later with a robust number of amber trichomes, it delivers a high near pyschedelic, warping time and dimension, putting me in a Salvador Dali state of mind. My wife simply calls it “Zombie Weed.”

What’s it taste like? Umm, I forgot. The high is too delicious.

Currently having issues with a pure vermiculite germination method. Burned two seeds already out of a 5-pack. Went back to a tried-and-true method to see if I can get better results. I will address that after following select Breeder Comments.

Breeder Comments:
  • Cross of Cambodian and Super Silver Haze
  • Mostly Sativa strain with a hint of Indica.
  • Amnesia won the High Times Cannabis Cup in 2004,
  • Version 2.0 of the standard Amnesia.
  • May reach 100 cm (3 ft) in height if grown freely inside
“It will give you energy, making you feel incredibly productive. The cerebral high produced by the Amnesia Haze strain can make you laugh like a child again. Stoners who begin their day sluggishly may become more active as a result of this marijuana strain's energetic qualities.
With a smooth, earthy taste and just the right amount of spice, our lemon and citrus-flavored smoke are perfect for any smoker. cough-free puffing is guaranteed ;)

Amnesia Trance Germination

After two seed failures from my 5-pack of seed. I decided to go back to the following tried-and-true method of germination. I had gotten lazy and tried germinating in pure vermiculite and things didn’t go well.

This method uses perlite to keep things well drained and vermiculite to keep things moist. There is an extra step in there over using pure vermiculite for germination, but I think the results are worth it — better germination, less melting out, easier to transplant to the final pot.

Take a pressed-paper seedling pot and place a piece of landscape fabric at the bottom of the pot.

Fill the pot with perlite and spray the surface of the perlite with a dilute nute solution until the perlite can be pressed and formed.

Press a finger hole into the perlite to form a reservoir for the vermiculite.

Fill the hole with vermiculite and moisten it with more dilute nute solution.

Press a small 3/8”-deep hole in the vermiculite with the end of an art brush, fill with one seed, and cover with surrounding vermiculite.

Place in a tray on a heat pad and cover with a 1-quart cloche (kitchen container bottom). Wait 48 hours, and usually a seedling will emerge.

Thank you for following. Discussions and questions are welcome.

MGM

The Do-Si-Dos Story
October 16, 2023​

Now, I’ll bring you up to date on the Dos-Si-Dos from Pyramid Seeds that I ordered from sponsor Seedsman. The plant has been the beneficiary of a lot of learnings I made with the White Widow plants that went before it using this new-to-me fertigation technique

Do-Si-Dos by Pyramid seeds,
Sold through current sponsor
Seedsman.
Feminized Photoperiod.
Day 54

Stage “Seven Sisters” manifold training.

Personal Comments:

My growing buddy loves this strain! So do his friends. So does my wife. So this is certainly back by popular demand.

Why so popular? Taste. The taste is as mind-blowing as the high. And the high is mighty mind blowing. So mighty that sometimes this frequent toker tokes too much and becomes way too couch locked. Hard to resist because it tastes so damned good.

Flavor is strong fruit and sweet pine, very strong, with an aroma in the bottle that matches the smoke. One whiff and you know this is THAT Do-Si-Dos.

Seller Comments:
  • Do Si Dos is a cross of Face Off OG and Girl Scout Cookies and is 70% indica.
  • The scent is sweet, earthy and floral in nature while its flavour is a blend of the sweet fruitiness of GSC with the creaminess of the Face Off OG.
  • Dark purple buds and very high levels of THC accompany the medicinal value of this hybrid.
  • Indoors, Do-S- Dos flowers in 55 - 60 days with yields in excess of 350 gr/m2.

Do-Si-Dos History through Pictures

The history of this plant has been fairly uneventful. I credit that to the learnings from the White Widow strain that went before it. A big learning is cutting down on nutes. The nute schedule I published above is a result of those learnings and are applied here.

Biggest regret here is that I may have topped the plant just a bit early, which resulted in a bit of a small set of top laterals. I had to take some time to grow.

Here is a view of the "Seven Sisters" scaffolding I install in the pots. The laterals are tied to the skewers I have pushed through holes in the pots. In turn I use these skewers and ties to adjust height and width of the plant in the early going.

The plants are trained to go through this garden-variety flower support. Ideally I like to grow the plants between 24- and 31-inches tall.

That's the update on the Do-Si-Dos.

Comments and questions are appreciated!

MGM

The Do-Si-Dos Story
October 16, 2023​

Now, I’ll bring you up to date on the Dos-Si-Dos from Pyramid Seeds that I ordered from sponsor Seedsman. The plant has been the beneficiary of a lot of learnings I made with the White Widow plants that went before it using this new-to-me fertigation technique

Do-Si-Dos by Pyramid seeds,
Sold through current sponsor
Seedsman.
Feminized Photoperiod.
Day 54

Stage “Seven Sisters” manifold training.

Personal Comments:

My growing buddy loves this strain! So do his friends. So does my wife. So this is certainly back by popular demand.

Why so popular? Taste. The taste is as mind-blowing as the high. And the high is mighty mind blowing. So mighty that sometimes this frequent toker tokes too much and becomes way too couch locked. Hard to resist because it tastes so damned good.

Flavor is strong fruit and sweet pine, very strong, with an aroma in the bottle that matches the smoke. One whiff and you know this is THAT Do-Si-Dos.

Seller Comments:
  • Do Si Dos is a cross of Face Off OG and Girl Scout Cookies and is 70% indica.
  • The scent is sweet, earthy and floral in nature while its flavour is a blend of the sweet fruitiness of GSC with the creaminess of the Face Off OG.
  • Dark purple buds and very high levels of THC accompany the medicinal value of this hybrid.
  • Indoors, Do-S- Dos flowers in 55 - 60 days with yields in excess of 350 gr/m2.

Do-Si-Dos History through Pictures

The history of this plant has been fairly uneventful. I credit that to the learnings from the White Widow strain that went before it. A big learning is cutting down on nutes. The nute schedule I published above is a result of those learnings and are applied here.

Biggest regret here is that I may have topped the plant just a bit early, which resulted in a bit of a small set of top laterals. I had to take some time to grow.

Here is a view of the "Seven Sisters" scaffolding I install in the pots. The laterals are tied to the skewers I have pushed through holes in the pots. In turn I use these skewers and ties to adjust height and width of the plant in the early going.

The plants are trained to go through this garden-variety flower support. Ideally I like to grow the plants between 24- and 31-inches tall.

That's the update on the Do-Si-Dos.

Comments and questions are appreciated!

MGM
Very healthy beautiful plant bro👌 I've never grown it but it's a nice strain to smoke

Very healthy beautiful plant bro👌 I've neve grown it but it's a nice strain to smoke
Indeed it is a nice strain to smoke. Not for the feint of heart, though.

Thanks for the compliment, and thank you for following Greenvein.

MGM

Your grow cab is very well in doubt for sure mate :headbanger:

I have gained knowledge already :D
I definitely can't wait to see more! Its got its own style

:Rasta:

Your grow cab is very well in doubt for sure mate :headbanger:

I have gained knowledge already :D
I definitely can't wait to see more! Its got its own style

:Rasta:
Thanks, jmrl,

I have grown so siloed in my information and access to more formal growing materials, particularly during the oppressive times, that I would definitely say my grow is more hardware store and home center oriented than hydro shop style. LOL!

MGM

Too cool with the skewers MGM! ;)
Thank you GDB.

I call it "Epiphany in Aisle 3"

For bigger pots, like the 12-gallon pots I use from time to time, I use bamboo tomato stakes instead.

My grow buddy calls them "Pot Extenders."

MGM

The White Widow Story
October 19, 2023​

I find this strain a challenging grow, because it stretches so much and can get leggy. However it is an ideal strain to test the penetration of my ViparSpectra XS 1000 and ViparSpectra XS 1500 lights.

The breeder says these things are runts indoors growing to around 60 cm, but I have grown many problem children to over 100 cm — problem children because 100 cm is about as much as my grow boxes can handle. Must be the ViparSpectra lights. ;)

White Widow bred from seeds obtained from non-sponsored breeder.
Standard, photoperiod.
Day 96,
Seeds Dropped July 15, 2023
Flipped September 9, 2023

Personal Comments:

There is not a lot that stands out with this strain outside of the fact that the genetics I have can stretch incredibly, leaving leggy plants. Peculiarly though, while I have been getting 100 cm plants, one plant that I cut back on light and nutes showed dwarf characteristics with the benefit of fatter buds.

Breeder Comments:
  • Created using a pure Sativa landrace from Brazil and pollinated by an Indica hybrid from southern India.
  • …very strong … fresh and clean pine taste with a subtle, lingering, and very pleasant citrus flavor after each hit.
  • White Widow won the High Times Cannabis Cup in 1995 .
“(White Widow) gives a strong high that is powerful and energetic at the same time. Therefore White Widow is an all-day smoker, social and completely satisfying.

”There is no literally better time to take your favorite hit of the White Widow Cannabis seeds. As she is Indica hybrid, daytime or nighttime is ideal for taking her hit.”

Three Distinct White Widow Plants

I currently have three different White Widow plants grown from standard seed:​

1- 36-inch tall for harvest and consumption: “Gravel Gertie”​
1- 22-inch tall for receiving “feminized” pollen for feminized seed creation: "Seed Queen"​
1- 16-inch tall clone treated with collodial silver for “feminized” pollen production: "Seed King"​

You’re probably wondering how I got here…

And, if you’re not you can just skip this part and go to the photos.

I dropped six standard seeds, bred from genetics obtained from a non-sponsored breeder. They all germinated, and when it came time to transplant I ended up with plants in six 2.7-gallon (10-Liter) nursery pots. They filled four spots in the vegetation cabinet, and two were left in the seedling cabinet. Tight fit until sexing.

September 4th, Week 7 Plant Sexing Exposed!

Sex of the plants were fairly well blatant, and then came the killing time. Three males went to their doom in the compost pile. Grisly. Think Steve Buscemi with that log grinder in “Fargo.”

Manifolding and Distributing the Survivors

Two plants went to the 4x2 box, “Gravel Gertie” & “Brunehilde” to bask in the intense light of two ViparSpectra XS 1500 lights — each one with her own light, and “Seed Queen,” a future feminized polled recipient was left behind in the 2x2 vegetation box under the ViparSpectra XS 1500 light.

It was at this time I also performed the “Seven Sister” manifold using the tie-down system described earlier. You can see how in each plant the seven main colas develop into a plant that fills the 2x2 space.

Clone Me Dr. Memory

During the manifolding I took cuttings for cloning

Ten days later, in the Seed and Breed Box I pulled a couple of White Widow clones out of the nute soup and set them up in 2.7-gallon pots.

The most robust plant lives to bask in collodial silver for creation of feminized pollen. The other dies a horrible death. My compost pile has happy worms.

That brings up to where the photos can take over, and then were all caught up and current in the grow room.

Seed King
Seed King was treated with collodial silver, three times a day for three weeks until male flowers were clearly visible.

Seed Queen
Seed Queen spent a short time in the 2x2 vegetation cabinet where she was dwarfed a bit by reducing light and reducing nutes. The dwarfing may have been due to genetics, however since breeder notes that this strain rarely exceeds 60cm.

Seed Queen did endure a bit of abuse early after I was a bit brain foggy and doubled up on nutes in early September. I was having trouble translating from my 1-gallon mixing pot to a 5-gallon pot. A good flushing and clear notes cleared up the problem.

It wasn't until her sister, Brunehilde was revealed to be a hermie, that Seed Queen graduated to the 4x2 box.

Gravel Gertie & Brunehilde

Gravel Gertie & Seed Queen

Once seed Queen joined Gravel Gertie in the 4x2 box and lights were flipped to 12/12, their personalities really began to show. Gravel Gertie went stretchy and tall, while Seed Queen remained shorter, with much thicker buds.

Well, that wraps up the backstories for all the plants I have growing now. This weekend I will begin regular updates and follow them through the harvesting of the Amnesia Trance, which was planted earlier this week.

Thank you for following!

MGM

That's a typo right? You didn't really veg them for 3 years?!? :eek:
Ah. LOL! You have discovered I am not a good proofreader, thank you!

You can report the post and ask a mod to edit the text if you wanted.
Thanks to your sharp eyes, helping out my dull ones, I was able to go back and make the edit myself. I wanted to get caught up on this grow journal -- on what is growing in it -- by the weekend. However, going over nearly two months of material for this one post got me kind of bleary eyed.

Again, thank you for the help!

MGM

Back
Top Bottom