Introducing Big Burp!

Greenlizard

Well as some of you may agree... burping jars is a pain in the ass. Especially if you have a lot. The curing process has a number of methods but a very common process is to use air tight containers (typically jars) and open them to breath (burp) twice a day for a number of weeks. This is often the point where some growers get lazy and only burp a hand full of times resulting in their bud not reaching it's full potential. Especially when it comes to aromas.

Well I just went a different route. I purchased Gamma lids which are air tight, leak proof lids for various style buckets.
Today I was lucky enough to find 3 gallon buckets. I have been searching for short buckets because I don't want too much bud compacted onto itself resulting in squished looking buds. Also I didn't want too much of an air gap above them resulting in further drying.

These lids are hard to get on initially but they work great. Once the ring is snaped on it's super easy to thread the lid on and off. Now I can just burp a few buckets instead of dozens of jars. I call it the "BIG BURP!" lol.
20200123_171933.jpg
20200123_172024.jpg
20200129_180226.jpg
20200129_180255.jpg

Well as some of you may agree... burping jars is a pain in the ass. Especially if you have a lot. The curing process has a number of methods but a very common process is to use air tight containers (typically jars) and open them to breath (burp) twice a day for a number of weeks. This is often the point where some growers get lazy and only burp a hand full of times resulting in their bud not reaching it's full potential. Especially when it comes to aromas.

Well I just went a different route. I purchased Gamma lids which are air tight, leak proof lids for various style buckets.
Today I was lucky enough to find 3 gallon buckets. I have been searching for short buckets because I don't want too much bud compacted onto itself resulting in squished looking buds. Also I didn't want too much of an air gap above them resulting in further drying.

These lids are hard to get on initially but they work great. Once the ring is snaped on it's super easy to thread the lid on and off. Now I can just burp a few buckets instead of dozens of jars. I call it the "BIG BURP!" lol.
20200123_171933.jpg
20200123_172024.jpg
20200129_180226.jpg
20200129_180255.jpg

There are designs on this forum for an automatic burping bucket. It's pretty simple actually. A small axial fan, humidity controller, aquarium air pump, check valve, and bucket are all that's essential. I'd add screens to layer the bud like the large multi-layer drying nets have.

Funny you should mention that @Old Salt
I have recently seen a video on YouTube of a guy that did exactly what I did but he took it a step further. I want to give it a shot some day. He drilled two small holes in the side of his buckets. One towards the bottom and one towards the top. He inserted air lines into the holes and silicone around them. Then he put check valves on the top air lines so air would only be able to exit the bucket but not enter. He then attached the lower air line to an air pump with a manifold attached so he had one line to feed each bucket he had. The air pump was on a timer for twice per day. It would run for a few minutes and shut off. This gave him the freedom of a completely touchless burping system. He did mention that he would remove the lids every couple days and just roll the buds around gently but other than that he didn't have to touch it.

I like your idea with layers of screen in the buckets as well Salt. That would assist further with not compacting the buds.

I found the articles:

full

Auto burping bucket

So I saw a video on YouTube about a guy who has a set up with his pump that runs on a timer once a day. Since I had an inkbird humidity monitor I only wanted it to cut on when the humidity got past 63%. So I set the air pump to turn on at 63% then it starts exchanging the air and cuts off at 61%.

This is all an automatic process so I'm not sure how long it would take to run the pump to get it to 61%. I guess that depends on how big of an air pump you have, the bigger the pump the quicker it gets there.

So the last harvest I did I let dry for 3 days until the nugs where dry, and I stuck everything in a 5 gallon bucket, branches and all, and hooked up my monitor. Hopefully this will get the last bit of moisture out and once it is stable I will put another lid on the bucket and let it long cure removing the lid once a week.

I'm not sure this is going to work but we shall see.

Do we know how this went down in the end weather it worked or not!?
No, but I can't see a reason it wouldn't. I'm seriously considering it for the project after automatic watering system upgrades. As I said, I'd add an internal fan and layering of the buds.

Let's ask @Dinger what his results were.

No, but I can't see a reason it wouldn't. I'm seriously considering it for the project after automatic watering system upgrades. As I said, I'd add an internal fan and layering of the buds.

Let's ask @Dinger what his results were.
Everything worked out just fine, no issues at all. My buddy who is a seasoned smoker said the smoke was smooth.

I will be trying this again in a few weeks with my next harvest.

20200123_171933.jpg
20200123_172024.jpg
20200129_180226.jpg
20200129_180255.jpg
You got the idea. Now automate it.
Grab some 1/4" hose and two aquarium one way valves and you have it. Now, just add a timer and an air pump.
Not only can to save a lot of time burping, but you could have 50 of these buckets, fully automated, (which means it doesn't forget.. like me!) burping on time, exchanging air much better than just removing a lid.
:lot-o-toke:
20200210_080815.jpg

The valves do two things. One let's air out-one let's air in. One positioned at the bottom and one at the the top. Air is pushed into the bucket through a one way valve at the bottom and when the bucket pressure's up enough to open the spring loaded valve at the top, air is pushed in at the bottom, pushing the air all the way to the top being pressure vented at the top.
So really, it does a MUCH better job than just removing a lid.
20200210_080801.jpg

The valves do two things. One let's air out-one let's air in. One positioned at the bottom and one at the the top. Air is pushed into the bucket through a one way valve at the bottom and when the bucket pressure's up enough to open the spring loaded valve at the top, air is pushed in at the bottom, pushing the air all the way to the top being pressure vented at the top.
So really, it does a MUCH better job than just removing a lid.
20200210_080801.jpg

That is actually what I was going for. I seen a guy on YouTube about a year ago who drilled the buckets and inserted airline with check valves and that's what I am working towards. My next harvest will be larger than usual so I plan to have it completed in time for that. It's all about automation and freeing up time. Thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom