Is my compost too strong?

Taliesin

I found a plant growing in my backyard so I don't know when it sprouted, but I have been aware of it for at least a month and it is approximately two feet tall.

Because of it's location, it has gotten direct sunlight from about 7AM until maybe 10AM, and then again from about 1PM until 2PM. About a week ago I thought I would try moving it to a different part of the yard so I dug it up and put it in a five gallon bucket. I put the bucket in the sunniest part of the yard, where the plant received direct sunlight from approx. 10AM until 5PM. The amount of daylight hours received by the plant is slightly more, and now it is more of the afternoon rather than the morning rays.

So, the problem is, the plant seemed to do very well after the transplant for a few days, then some of the smaller lower leaves started to turn yellow. A few got so yellow they looked beyond recovery so I took them off, and a few more were yellow this morning. By this afternoon, the plant was noticeably limp. The soil was whetted thoroughly at transplant, and then once again two days later when I added approx. one inch of pure manure/green waste compost to the top of the soil, and the soil was still moist today from that watering.

The plant has not received any form of direct fertilization. Is it possible that the plant is being burned by nutrients in the compost that could have been leached out after I added it to the bucket and soaked it with water?

[EDIT]: I realize that I just posted this in the wrong forum. Can someone please delete it for me?

Back
Top Bottom