Is my plant starting to flower and can I stop it?

szayella

420 Member
Sometime in the last 3 days I noticed that there are a lot of pistils forming and I just wanted to know if there’s anything i can do to stop it because i am not ready for it to flower if that’s what’s going on

IMG_4016.jpeg

IMG_4013.jpeg

It’s a photoperiod, I am at the place i’m growing at 3-4 days a week and I try bring them inside under a normal light to prevent from flowering when i can. so i don’t really know the exact light schedule. I’ve just been tryna give it as much sunlight as i can and sometimes for 2-3 days they don’t get brought inside and put under a light

Yes, it sure looks like it’s starting to flower. Inconsistent light can cause a host of problems, including early flowering, hermies, and nute issues. Try to get them into a minimum of 14 hours/day, 16 or 18 would be better. It’s going to have to re-veg a bit, luckily it’s not too far along in flower.

Can you put a light bulb near them on a timer? That way you'd be assured of the minimum light hours needed to keep it in veg. As long as there's no stretch of darkness longer than 12 hours you'll be able to keep them in veg.

That light could literally come on in the middle of the dark period for 15 minutes and do the job.

Sometime in the last 3 days I noticed that there are a lot of pistils forming and I just wanted to know if there’s anything i can do to stop it because i am not ready for it to flower if that’s what’s going on
The plant could be flowering or it might be only going into a pre-flower stage. If flowering has started it can be stopped.

Good tips on what can be done to bring it back into a vegetative grow.

..... and I try bring them inside under a normal light to prevent from flowering when i can. so i don’t really know the exact light schedule. I’ve just been tryna give it as much sunlight as i can and sometimes for 2-3 days they don’t get brought inside and put under a light
This is what caught my attention. The plant going into flowering could be caused by the amounts and quality of the sunlight or it could be because of the level of 'normal' light during those 2-3 days when it is brought inside. Or it could be a combination of both.

As for the schedule it is figuring out how many continuous hours the inside lights are on before being turned off.

If you can give an idea of where you are, as in the Northern or Southern Hemisphere or near the equator it will be easier to figure if the days are getting longer outside or still getting shorter.

As for the schedule it is figuring out how many continuous hours the inside lights are on before being turned off.
Other way around I think. It's the number of continuous hours the lights are  off that matter. I referenced the gas lighting technique above to keep the plants in veg mode.

But regardless, he's got to get his lighting under control.

Hello szayella and welcome to 420Magazine.com. The cannabis plant is sexually mature when the female cannabis plant begins to display white pistils at the nodes. A photoperiod cannabis plant will not begin to flower unless the light schedule is altered to 12 hours of light and 12 hours of darkness for flowering. The cannabis plant will not flower until the light schedule is altered.

Hello szayella and welcome to 420Magazine.com. The cannabis plant is sexually mature when the female cannabis plant begins to display white pistils at the nodes. A photoperiod cannabis plant will not begin to flower unless the light schedule is altered to 12 hours of light and 12 hours of darkness for flowering. The cannabis plant will not flower until the light schedule is altered.
But sounds like he's in a place where the outdoor night hours are still too long to prevent flowering and, if he doesn't bring it inside to an artificial light, his plant is subject to the "too long" dark period, and hence has begun shifting the hormones to flowering ones.

That's why the suggestion to hang a light with a timer over the plant to counter the dark.

Azi is correct, you can use night interruption lighting to prevent flowering. Just set up a low-wattage, daylight spectrum LED bulb above the plant. Or a couple of them, one on each side. Put this on a timer that will go on at least once in the middle of the night for 5 minutes (technically it only needs to be brief flash of light). In my outdoor greenhouse grow, I used many of these bulbs, 13 watt, in my veg/cloning greenhouse. They go on automatically at midnight, 2am, and 4am, for a few minutes each time.

The plant will then re-veg. If it doesn't, and the flowers continue, it means that you got some seed labeled as photoperiod that actually is autoflowering – it happens. Sometimes a seed will produce a semi-autoflowering plant.

Consistent lighting is the key to accomplish this. Inconsistently giving light at night is not a good idea, to properly prevent flowering.

good luck and happy growing! :ciao:

I do not recommend unnatural lighting schedules as this stress is at cause of many detrimental changes that can destroy a gene line. I use 18 hours of light and 6 hours of darkness to re vegetate a cannabis plant following harvest.

I do not recommend unnatural lighting schedules as this stress is at cause of many detrimental changes that can destroy a gene line. I use 18 hours of light and 6 hours of darkness to re vegetate a cannabis plant following harvest.
Are you saying this in reference to night interruption lighting? If so, what kind of detrimental changes? What do you mean, destroy a gene line?

Yes, interrupted dark periods stress the cannabis plant which can lead to unwanted random self pollination and loss of potency in a gene line.
OK, let me respond to your two points. 1) Self-pollination implies the female will produce some male flowers, like a hermie. In my several years of relying on night interruption lighting, on all my plants, I have never had a female produce male flowers. I rely mostly on feminized seed. I did grow regular seed of an equatorial sativa, and used night interruption on those males and females, without a problem. 2) Loss of potency in a gene line. It depends on whether the plant was grown to produce flowers to be harvested, or if the plant was grown in order to be pollinated for breeding. If the former, there's no way a single plant (which is not going to be bred) will affect the "gene line." If the latter, I find it highly unlikely that manipulating phytochrome Pr and Pfr (proteins), via lighting, is going to affect the DNA of the plant.

Further, I've read nothing, either in my two reference books – one by Rosenthal, the other by Morrow – or online, that would indicate what you are saying. In Greg Green's "The Cannabis Breeder's Bible," the last chapter (23) is titled "Flowering Concepts and Calyx Development". In that chapter are 4 sections: the introductory section that talks about "forced flowering," then a section on Phytochrome, and lastly "Photoperiodism in Cannabis." Nothing in this chapter suggests that night interruption lighting could cause genetic changes.

I think you might be confusing interrupting the dark period with forcing flowering by light deprivation. If you deprive your plants of light before they are sexually mature – e.g. switching to 12/12 too soon – then the result can be hermie flowers. This is what Green is saying in his chapter 23, in addition to the fact that premature 12/12 stresses the plant into "hormone related activity", affects "gender development," and "can lead to sexual dysfunctions."

Interesting. Florists and botanists have been using interruption schedules for decades, probably since they started growing in greenhouses in the mid to late 1800s. The idea is to control the flowering schedule to match the sales of flowers or the plant itself.

The situation being discussed is about preventing the start of flowering of the plants. It does not appear to be about harvesting and then going through a re-vegetating stage. Nothing about changing the genetic line that I noticed.

I have the feeling that what you are referring to is the planting of seeds from self pollinated female plants and then letting the new plants self-pollinate and repeating and repeating. Doing that will keep reinforcing the recessive genetics and limiting the size of a viable gene pool.

OK, let me respond to your two points. 1) Self-pollination implies the female will produce some male flowers, like a hermie. In my several years of relying on night interruption lighting, on all my plants, I have never had a female produce male flowers. I rely mostly on feminized seed. I did grow regular seed of an equatorial sativa, and used night interruption on those males and females, without a problem. 2) Loss of potency in a gene line. It depends on whether the plant was grown to produce flowers to be harvested, or if the plant was grown in order to be pollinated for breeding. If the former, there's no way a single plant (which is not going to be bred) will affect the "gene line." If the latter, I find it highly unlikely that manipulating phytochrome Pr and Pfr (proteins), via lighting, is going to affect the DNA of the plant.

1) Male cannabis plants produce male cannabis pollen, female cannabis plants are able only to produce female cannabis pollen. When growing from feminized seeds the traits have been stabilized before your access and then stable female pollen is created for the feminized seeds.

The term sinsemilla is for without seeds and a selective technique which focuses the cannabis plants energy to produce increasing amounts of cannabinoid resins in efforts to trap pollen for reproduction. Once a cannabis plant is pollinated a cannabis plant focuses its energy stores on producing potent seeds and cannabinoid potency is no longer prioritized.

2) Is this a breeding program dedicated to stabilizing a gene line or a grow to produce the most potent cannabis medicine?

DNA may be effected by a mutagen, not by lighting. Altering the lighting schedule is activating a gene present in cannabis plants which under stress conditionally induces female cannabis plants to produce feminized pollen in pollen sacks. The stress condition which induces this adaptation preset in cannabis plants is a reproductive defence mechanism when growing conditions produce few potent males naturally.

Further, I've read nothing, either in my two reference books – one by Rosenthal, the other by Morrow – or online, that would indicate what you are saying. In Greg Green's "The Cannabis Breeder's Bible," the last chapter (23) is titled "Flowering Concepts and Calyx Development". In that chapter are 4 sections: the introductory section that talks about "forced flowering," then a section on Phytochrome, and lastly "Photoperiodism in Cannabis." Nothing in this chapter suggests that night interruption lighting could cause genetic changes.

I think you might be confusing interrupting the dark period with forcing flowering by light deprivation. If you deprive your plants of light before they are sexually mature – e.g. switching to 12/12 too soon – then the result can be hermie flowers. This is what Green is saying in his chapter 23, in addition to the fact that premature 12/12 stresses the plant into "hormone related activity", affects "gender development," and "can lead to sexual dysfunctions."

Night dark period interruption can not mutate genes. The cannabis plant is expressing an already present gene when with interrupted
dark periods the hormone responsible for flowering is not allowed to sufficiently build and light stress to revert a plant to to produce pollen sacks in flower instead.

When we produce feminized seeds we use a Silver Thiosulfate Solution and spray the female cannabis plant which causes the female cannabis plants hormones to build sufficiently and successfully create feminized pollen that only passes this gene down the line.

Interesting. Florists and botanists have been using interruption schedules for decades, probably since they started growing in greenhouses in the mid to late 1800s. The idea is to control the flowering schedule to match the sales of flowers or the plant itself.

The situation being discussed is about preventing the start of flowering of the plants. It does not appear to be about harvesting and then going through a re-vegetating stage. Nothing about changing the genetic line that I noticed.

I have the feeling that what you are referring to is the planting of seeds from self pollinated female plants and then letting the new plants self-pollinate and repeating and repeating. Doing that will keep reinforcing the recessive genetics and limiting the size of a viable gene pool.

Florists are professionals who specialize in preserving cut flowers for sale. The study of cannabis plants is special material few people have access to.

Producing a consumer crop on a schedule in how agriculture is run.

I am referring to this unwanted self replicating gene that randomly repeats itself unceasingly after considerable effort to develop stable gene lines failed to gain control and become stable.

1) Male cannabis plants produce male cannabis pollen, female cannabis plants are able only to produce female cannabis pollen. When growing from feminized seeds the traits have been stabilized before your access and then stable female pollen is created for the feminized seeds.

The term sinsemilla is for without seeds and a selective technique which focuses the cannabis plants energy to produce increasing amounts of cannabinoid resins in efforts to trap pollen for reproduction. Once a cannabis plant is pollinated a cannabis plant focuses its energy stores on producing potent seeds and cannabinoid potency is no longer prioritized.
I don't think this is really relevant to the conversation. I said "male flowers," meaning that the female is producing male-like flowers, meaning the structure of the flower is different than a female flower, and it produces pollen. I am not suggesting that the female "becomes a male."

2) Is this a breeding program dedicated to stabilizing a gene line or a grow to produce the most potent cannabis medicine?

DNA may be effected by a mutagen, not by lighting. Altering the lighting schedule is activating a gene present in cannabis plants which under stress conditionally induces female cannabis plants to produce feminized pollen in pollen sacks. The stress condition which induces this adaptation preset in cannabis plants is a reproductive defence mechanism when growing conditions produce few potent males naturally.
Well, specifically not just "altering the lighting schedule," but altering the lighting schedule at the wrong time, in the wrong way, forcing sexually immature females into a flower-inducing light schedule (i.e. premature 12/12).

Night dark period interruption can not mutate genes. The cannabis plant is expressing an already present gene when with interrupted dark periods the hormone responsible for flowering is not allowed to sufficiently build and light stress to revert a plant to to produce pollen sacks in flower instead.
What I said... night interruption can't cause genetic changes. Sorry, your next sentence doesn't make sense. It seems to conclude that "light stress [will cause] a female plant to [produce pollen]." My response to that is the same as my response above. Also, when I said, "Nothing in this chapter suggests that night interruption lighting could cause genetic changes", I left out (but in the context was also implying) that nothing in the chapter suggests that night interruption lighting could cause female plants to produce pollen.

When we produce feminized seeds we use a Silver Thiosulfate Solution and spray the female cannabis plant which causes the female cannabis plants hormones to build sufficiently and successfully create feminized pollen that only passes this gene down the line.
Again, not relevant to the conversation.

So, back to the conversation...

What evidence can you present that night interruption lighting can cause female plants to produce pollen?

I don't think this is really relevant to the conversation. I said "male flowers," meaning that the female is producing male-like flowers, meaning the structure of the flower is different than a female flower, and it produces pollen. I am not suggesting that the female "becomes a male."

Well, specifically not just "altering the lighting schedule," but altering the lighting schedule at the wrong time, in the wrong way, forcing sexually immature females into a flower-inducing light schedule (i.e. premature 12/12).
Male cannabis plants produce pollen sacks and pollen. Female cannabis plants lack the gene sequence to make male cannabis pollen and grow female pollen sacks with feminized pollen. This fact that allows feminized cannabis seeds to grow only feminized cannabis plants.

We use photoperiod cannabis plants and eliminate this intersex instability before producing feminized cannabis pollen.

How you identify the desirable and potentiate traits while eliminating all other random expressions is a requirement to validate a cannabis strains legitimacy.

What I said... night interruption can't cause genetic changes. Sorry, your next sentence doesn't make sense. It seems to conclude that "light stress [will cause] a female plant to [produce pollen]." My response to that is the same as my response above. Also, when I said, "Nothing in this chapter suggests that night interruption lighting could cause genetic changes", I left out (but in the context was also implying) that nothing in the chapter suggests that night interruption lighting could cause female plants to produce pollen.

What evidence can you present that night interruption lighting can cause female plants to produce pollen?
Genes are not destroyed by interrupting hours of darkness. The cannabis plant expresses its present genes by increasing a flowering hormones concentration which induces a sexually mature photoperoid cannabis plant to flower. It is the concentration of flowering hormones that triggers flowering in photoperiod cannabis plants. Interrupting the hours of darkness prevents sufficient flowering hormones from creating thriving seeds and this intersex gene is continued down the gene line.

Genetic engineers are professionals who use mutagens to alter genes.

In the grow room environment preventing flowering hormones after entering flower has begun produces pour results.

Back
Top Bottom