Is my plant starting to flower and can I stop it?

Florists are professionals who specialize in preserving cut flowers for sale. The study of cannabis plants is special material few people have access to.
The point is that the 'gas lantern' effect is not new. It was not something discovered by underground growers back in the 1960s and 70s. It has been around since before any of us were born. If in all that time there was a problem with the routine causing genetic drift in plants, whether cannabis or some sort of decorative flower, then I have to believe that we would have been hearing about it by now.

Producing a consumer crop on a schedule in how agriculture is run.
Yes, and again, if the gas lantern routine of controlling when flowering occurred, or preventing flowering to begin with, was causing problems with the genetics of the very plants that the grower's livelihood depended on we would have heard about it by now.

2) Is this a breeding program dedicated to stabilizing a gene line or a grow to produce the most potent cannabis medicine?
The question asked was whether the plant was starting to flower and if it was starting can the flowering be stopped. No mention that I remember about a breeding program or any attempt to change the genetics of the plant in question. Nor a question of putting the plant back into a vegetating stage later on after a harvest.

If this was your plant and the plant had just started showing stigma/pistils in the last several days and you did not want it to flower then how would you stop the flowering?

Gas Lantern Routine is a lighting schedule designed to reduce a cannabis plants metabolic rate while decreasing light intensity during the light on phase while also reducing the daily duration of the total light exposure to as little as 9 hours of light and 15 hours of darkness.

Photoperiod cannabis plants do not flower properly and produce cannabis medicine without being given 12 hours of light and 12 hours of darkness, it is the 12 hours of continuous darkness which then allows the flowering hormones to build and induce flowering for reproduction. The cannabis plant selectively focuses its limited energy to either produce hearty seeds or increase resin and canabinoid production in effort to capture pollen and reproduce seeds.

The cannabis plant is sexually mature and ready to be flowered.

The cannabis plant requires greater light intensity 16 hours of light and 8 hours of darkness to remain in a vegetative state.

The only comments by KingJohn that are possibly relevant to the conversation:
The cannabis plant expresses its present genes by increasing a flowering hormones concentration which induces a sexually mature photoperoid cannabis plant to flower.
Translation: A female photoperiod cannabis plant's flowering phase is controlled by light-sensitive hormones, which are responsible for inducing flowering when the plant is sexually mature.

It is the concentration of flowering hormones that triggers flowering in photoperiod cannabis plants.
Yes, they are sometimes called hormones. They are proteins. Pr and Pfr, which stands for phytochrome red and phytochrome far-red. I won't spell out the exact mechanism here, but suffice to say that a flash of light in the dark period will "reset" these hormones and prevent flowering.

If night length is sufficient (i.e. the "dark period"), for a number of days in a row (without artificial light at night), then flowering will begin if the plant is sexually mature.

Interrupting the hours of darkness prevents sufficient flowering hormones from creating thriving seeds and this intersex gene is continued down the gene line.
First part is correct. The second part implies that seed will not be produced when the plant is allowed to flower, and that a genetic alteration has occurred. Simply not true, and KingJohn apparently cannot provide any explanation for this assertion. Sorry, but this is looking like word salad with a side helping of irrelevance – it's not information.

In the grow room environment preventing flowering hormones after entering flower has begun produces pour results.
This is a claim that re-vegging by introducing night interruption lighting, or veg lighting, will later on produce poor results in the flowering plant. On the surface this seems plausible, because the normal progression of growth and flowering has been altered; however, without and definition of what "poor" means, exactly – i.e. what kinds of problems may arise – it is not a very helpful comment.

Gas Lantern Routine is a lighting schedule designed to reduce a cannabis plants metabolic rate while decreasing light intensity during the light on phase while also reducing the daily duration of the total light exposure to as little as 9 hours of light and 15 hours of darkness.
Here's what's actually happening with respect to the "gas lantern routine" and female photoperiod plants:

Night interruption refers to artificial lighting used mainly in outdoor grows to prevent plants that are in the vegetative phase from flowering before the grower wants them to flower. This is typical in locations where the night length is sufficiently long year round to induce flowering as soon as the plants are sexually mature. This can be done with inexpensive, low-wattage daylight-spectrum light bulbs, and only a brief flash of light is needed, over the whole surface of the plant.

The night interruption method does not include any manipulation of the "light on" period, i.e. daylight hours in an outdoor grow. The method does not include any changes in light intensity or duration during the daylight hours.

Most female cannabis plants will flower with as little as 10-10.5 hours of night (dark period). Indoor growers use the 12/12 schedule just to be sure. Here in Hawaii, our night length is never less than 10.7 hours year round. Compare that to Denver, CO, where June/July/Aug night length is less than 10 hours.

Photoperiod cannabis plants do not flower properly and produce cannabis medicine without being given 12 hours of light and 12 hours of darkness,
Female photoperiod cannabis plants don't flower unless night length is at least 10-10.5 hours. Tropical sativas need at least 12 hours, and probably actually more like 12.5 hours in some cases, to initiate flowering. Some indoor sativa growers may use 13 or 14 hours of darkness.

All male cannabis plants are autoflowering, with the exception of some equatorial sativas where the males are actually photosensitive.

it is the 12 hours of continuous darkness which then allows the flowering hormones to build and induce flowering for reproduction.
Depending on the strain – indica or sativa – let's say that somewhere between 10.5 and 12.5 hours of darkness are needed, for several days in a row, to induce flowering.

The cannabis plant requires greater light intensity 16 hours of light and 8 hours of darkness to remain in a vegetative state.
Most female photoperiod cannabis plants only need something less than 10 hours of darkness to remain in veg. Let's say 9-9.5 hours. That means 14.5-15 hours of daylight. The exception are equatorial sativas which may need 11-11.5 (or less) hours of darkness to stay in veg. That means 12.5-13 hours of daylight.

The cannabis plant selectively focuses its limited energy to either produce hearty seeds or increase resin and canabinoid production in effort to capture pollen and reproduce seeds.
Not to pile on here but the cannabinoid and resin prosecution is not designed to capture pollen and reproduce seeds but rather is thought to be a defensive mechanism of the plant against UV light and critters.

It's the pistils (really stigmas) that are trying to capture pollen floating by in the breeze.

Here's what's actually happening with respect to the "gas lantern routine" and female photoperiod plants:

Night interruption refers to artificial lighting used mainly in outdoor grows to prevent plants that are in the vegetative phase from flowering before the grower wants them to flower. This is typical in locations where the night length is sufficiently long year round to induce flowering as soon as the plants are sexually mature. This can be done with inexpensive, low-wattage daylight-spectrum light bulbs, and only a brief flash of light is needed, over the whole surface of the plant.

The night interruption method does not include any manipulation of the "light on" period, i.e. daylight hours in an outdoor grow. The method does not include any changes in light intensity or duration during the daylight hours.

Most female cannabis plants will flower with as little as 10-10.5 hours of night (dark period). Indoor growers use the 12/12 schedule just to be sure. Here in Hawaii, our night length is never less than 10.7 hours year round. Compare that to Denver, CO, where June/July/Aug night length is less than 10 hours.

Female photoperiod cannabis plants don't flower unless night length is at least 10-10.5 hours. Tropical sativas need at least 12 hours, and probably actually more like 12.5 hours in some cases, to initiate flowering. Some indoor sativa growers may use 13 or 14 hours of darkness.

All male cannabis plants are autoflowering, with the exception of some equatorial sativas where the males are actually photosensitive.

Depending on the strain – indica or sativa – let's say that somewhere between 10.5 and 12.5 hours of darkness are needed, for several days in a row, to induce flowering.

Most female photoperiod cannabis plants only need something less than 10 hours of darkness to remain in veg. Let's say 9-9.5 hours. That means 14.5-15 hours of daylight. The exception are equatorial sativas which may need 11-11.5 (or less) hours of darkness to stay in veg. That means 12.5-13 hours of daylight.
I caution against unnaturally interrupting the progressive increase in flowering hormones for photoperiod cannabis plants. Seeded cannabis plants result in pour potency.

We potentiate cannabis potency by selectively only growing proven stabilized genes which produce consistent reliability.

We control the environments conditions using methods to achieve optimum results by repeating consistency.

Cannabis Sativa Sp Ruderalis is referred to as an autoflower cannabis plant as this subspecies flowering is independent the length of daylight and nighttime length and have no effect on when the plant begins and completes its life cycle growing to senescence.

I think we've got two different thought trains going here.

One is night interruption lighting to keep a veg plant from going into flower and the other is a concern about an already flowering plant having its sleep interrupted.

I'd agree that a plant that has already begun the flowering process can be challenged by an inconsistent dark period, but one that is still in veg mode will likely be fine with the gas lantern process.

The OP has a plant that has crossed over to flower and with it has experienced a hormonal change so moving it back to veg could very well cause issues if it were going to be pollinated for seeds, but otherwise I'd expect it to return to flower mode in the future without much problem.

I caution against unnaturally interrupting the progressive increase in flowering hormones for photoperiod cannabis plants. Seeded cannabis plants result in pour potency.
Once again, I'm not sure what you are saying here. Seeded cannabis plants? Maybe you mean that a plant that went through night interruption lighting (or another type of unnatural lighting) will produce offspring (seeds) that will have poor potency when grown out and buds harvested.

If you don't provide any evidence to back up what you're saying, nobody is going to take it seriously. Give us a reference to a book or study that someone did, evidence from your own experience growing, or evidence from somebody else's experience growing. You've had plenty of chances to do that here.

I think we should drop this subject now.

KingJohnC's 400 Watt LA Confidential Seed Cabinet Soil Indoor Grow Journal​

When the dark cycle is broken unnaturally a cannabis plant interprets this stress which triggers a reproductive defence system. In effort to reproduce at all costs a cannabis plant expends its essential cannabinoids producing female pollen for self pollination and seeds rather than essential cannabinoids for increasing cannabinoid potency. The nature of the stresses effect on the cannabis plants defence incompletely activates only minimal

We identify male pollen sacks and female pistils to distinguish the gender of the cannabis plants when photoperiod cannabis plants are flowered.

full

in our KingJohnC's 400 Watt LA Confidential Seed Cabinet Soil Indoor Grow Journal

we cover the process of creating feminized cannabis pollen and feminized cannabis seeds using this technique with Silver Thiosulfate Solution sprayed on a female cannabis plant and female pollen sacks develop

Here is the formula for the Silver Thiosulfate Solution
Flower Day 24

the silver thiosulfate solution is made from

Part A: 0.5 gram of silver nitrate mixed into 500ml distilled water
Part B: 2.5 grams of sodium thiosulfate mixed into 500ml distilled water

20 millilitres of part A and 20 millilitres of part B were mixed and shaken together.
this solution was diluted at a ratio of 1:9.
360 millilitres of distilled water was added to make 400 millilitres of silver thiosulfate.

LA Confidential number 2 was sprayed with a silver thiosulfate solution on its nodes and tip. LA Confidential number 2 will be sprayed daily until female pollen sacks are observed.

no part of any plant treated with silver thiosulfate can be smoked, that is why there is a second plant to treat with silver thiosulfate. the first plant will be treated with pollen and can also be smoked afterwards, but i expect the potency to be low as the plant will primarily be focused on seed production and not cannabinoid production. I am a little worried i may miss my window to pollinate the first plant as i expect it to take several weeks for female pollen sacks to form. ideally both plants would have been flowered together so the pollen from one plant would be ready to pollinate a second plant, i did not have a second LA Confidential ready to put into flower ready when i began. i am hoping for a few hundred seeds, we shall all find out how many it will produce.

KingJohnC's 400 Watt LA Confidential Seed Cabinet Soil Indoor Grow Journal

Our grow Journal features our Low Stress Training technique which the 420Magazine community embraced as "Fluxing" after 420Magazine member Light Addict instructs our community

Light Addict's Fluxing Central - Featuring The Original Flux Journal

We can see the female pollen sacks are now formed and opening!

Seed_Cabinet_LA_Confidential_08-23-2013_-_029.JPG

Seeds are now visible!
Seed_Cabinet_LA_Confidential_08-23-2013_-_030.JPG

Seed_Cabinet_LA_Confidential_08-23-2013_-_031.JPG

Here is a female cannabis pollen sack which is also commonly referred to a "nanners" as its clustered appearance similar to bananas grow.

Seed_Cabinet_LA_Confidential_08-28-2013_-_006.JPG

I hope we now have a common understanding of the process we use creating female cannabis pollen sacks, creating feminized cannabis pollen and feminized cannabis seeds on 420Magazine.com

Back
Top Bottom