Is there any advantage to making Kief before pressing into rosin and how is it different from other processes?

KarlJay

I have two setups right now. One makes kief and the other is to do a meltdown thru a glass tube and vac purge. I have a 16 ton press and just need some heated plates and bags to try out rosin.

I'm trying to explain the difference to someone, and I'm just not having much luck. He took kief and made hash with an iron and cellophane. So the melt down is a chemical wash and vac purge that results in glass or wax.

So the rosin press smashes everything to get the concentrate to separate from the plant and it's done using heated plates so the heat will help the concentrate move.

So here's the catch... what's the difference? One's a powder you put on a roll, one you burn in a heated pipe, but what do you do with rosin?

Q1. Isn't rosin the same as what you'd get from a chemical meltdown strip and vac purge?

Q2. Don't you use the rosin the same as the results of your vac purge?

Q3. If you start with kief, don't you get a cleaner rosin, maybe don't have to use those bags, or do you have to use the bags either way?

Q4. how do you store the product and what happens if you do vac purge to get rid of bubbles, does it turn to glass?

Good questions. A rosin press is on my wish list. I'm interested in learning how to mix with oil to encapsulate the rosin.

Subbed in :yummy:
I have a large press and all I would need are the plates and heater with controllers. I do welding, so I can make the whole thing. I'm just not sure what the real difference is. I'm guessing the rest of the setup isn't that expensive, maybe $20 for alum plates and $10 for the heaters, then some controllers.

I'd bet someone could use some old coffee pots as they have heaters on them, just need to get the accurate temp range.

Even saw where someone was using a hair iron, but I don't want to get that cheap.

One thing that sounds REALLY cool is NOT having to vac purge and buy all the solvents... you save time and money, it's just and issue of what can you convert it into. Can you make crumble, hash, oil, whatever they use in vape pens, glass/shatter...? I'd hate to do all the work and not know what I'm getting into.

Q1. Isn't rosin the same as what you'd get from a chemical meltdown strip and vac purge?

Q2. Don't you use the rosin the same as the results of your vac purge?

Q3. If you start with kief, don't you get a cleaner rosin, maybe don't have to use those bags, or do you have to use the bags either way?

Q4. how do you store the product and what happens if you do vac purge to get rid of bubbles, does it turn to glass?
I just have a little rosen forge thing that does 2 grams at a time not a full blown press. These are my opinions/observations, I’m no expert.

Q1. Similar but rosen supposedly contains more terpenes and uses no solvents so it has nothing potentially bad in the smoke.

Q2. You use it the same ways, it’s similar to shatter but more gooey and doesn’t get glassy or as solid. I generally put a glob on the end of a joint and smear it around a bit. Just be careful it doesn’t drip too close to your lip. I think most people use a dab rig or whatever. You can mix it the exact same as shatter or wax to make ejuice.

Q3. If you start with keif you do get a cleaner product that perhaps has less terpenes and less flavor than from actual plant material.

Q4. I store in silicone containers at room temperature. I’ve no idea about purging it, I don’t know that it has bubbles.

:passitleft:

I just have a little rosen forge thing that does 2 grams at a time not a full blown press. These are my opinions/observations, I’m no expert.

Q1. Similar but rosen supposedly contains more terpenes and uses no solvents so it has nothing potentially bad in the smoke.

Q2. You use it the same ways, it’s similar to shatter but more gooey and doesn’t get glassy or as solid. I generally put a glob on the end of a joint and smear it around a bit. Just be careful it doesn’t drip too close to your lip. I think most people use a dab rig or whatever. You can mix it the exact same as shatter or wax to make ejuice.

Q3. If you start with keif you do get a cleaner product that perhaps has less terpenes and less flavor than from actual plant material.

Q4. I store in silicone containers at room temperature. I’ve no idea about purging it, I don’t know that it has bubbles.

Awesome, no wonder these presses are so popular. Thanks. Someone was asking if I can make the juice for a vape and I said I'll look into it. What do you use to get to to ejuice, I've never done that before.

Almost forgot, what temp do you use, I've heard 120F from some.

Awesome, no wonder these presses are so popular. Thanks. Someone was asking if I can make the juice for a vape and I said I'll look into it. What do you use to get to to ejuice, I've never done that before.

Almost forgot, what temp do you use, I've heard 120F from some.

To make ejuice you infuse it into propylene glycol or vegatible glycerin or more popularly a mix of both. I don’t make my own.

Mine’s pretty small and doesn’t have a temp controller, it uses a blow torch so I’m not sure what temps it uses.

I just have a little rosen forge thing that does 2 grams at a time not a full blown press.

I like the idea, and the lack of filter bags. It looks like a great tool for those wanting to press a few grams at a time.

I don't like the the capacity, at 3.3 gm. I'd want to press 1 - 3oz (25 - 80gm) at a time. The other problem is there's no temperature control. I prepare my entire harvest of 200+ gm at a time. I'd be at it for over five hrs to do this with the Rosin Forge.

It's back to the Dabpress, or a DIY equivalent.

Back
Top Bottom