Rosin Press personal use

I have never used concentrates but love smoking hash. I grow my own and always have a quarter pound at least leftover when my current harvest comes in.
I already have a glass device that fits on a bong for rosin consumption and several torches.
I have done some reading about presses and am not interested in the curling iron method, but I don't want to spend over $300 for a press.
I just don't know what I need.
Are the manual ones, with the pull down handle sufficient or will I wish I'd gotten one of the more automatic ones? From what I've read it's quite possible to easily break the pull down handle types or is that not true?

Side question- Can you make a greater amount at a sitting and freeze it for later or will it stay fresh for some time at room temp. ?

I have never used concentrates but love smoking hash. I grow my own and always have a quarter pound at least leftover when my current harvest comes in.
I already have a glass device that fits on a bong for rosin consumption and several torches.
I have done some reading about presses and am not interested in the curling iron method, but I don't want to spend over $300 for a press.
Are the manual ones, with the pull down handle sufficient or will I wish I'd gotten one of the more automatic ones? From what I've read it's quite possible to easily break the pull down handle types or is that not true?

Side question- Can you make a greater amount at a sitting and freeze it for later or will it stay fresh for some time at room temp. ?

Hey gw. I'm going to tag some people who I consider to be experts at pressing rosin for you.

@DonkeyDick , @HashFart , @BakedARea , @Grandpa Tokin : Can you help gw with his questions?

I’ll give it a shot…

I have a @DabPress 6-Ton press currently and it works ok for my personal use…and I only smoke rosin…all day long… :cheesygrinsmiley:

As long as you don’t torque down on the handle like a gorilla, you’ll be fine. However, the price is a little higher than you are looking for, but I wouldn’t go any smaller…that’s just me. As for the automatic ones I doubt you’ll find anything close to your price range.

Take a look at my rosin thread in my signature. It’s long, but it’s how I started with rosin, up until the present. You will need some decent parchment paper and some sort of silicon pad or container for the rosin. Other than that, it’s just experimenting with temps and pressure until you get what you want.

You can definitely freeze the rosin to preserve the freshness. I’ve done it before and it worked well. Now I just press enough fresh bud for a few days worth.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Grandpa it looks like fall honey. I'll have to read up on what you posted.

I've got two little silicone containers that came with some of glassware I purchased.

When I figure out how much I'll go through, I was thinking of putting a couple of days worth on wax paper and folding it up and putting in freezer so I wouldn't have to thaw out more than a day's worth. Is it hard to take it out of the freezer and cut off a small piece, and put the silicone container back, without thawing out the whole lot?

Thanks @HashGirl for the tag. I am far from an expert. But I do very much appreciate the sentiment.
Hell yeah! Sounds like plenty of flower to make some rosin. Do it!!!

Hey, so Tokin Gramps got you steered in the right direction already. I ended up with the 6 ton @DabPress (site sponsor by the way) and there is another press sponsor I have seen recently, Rositek I believe. They are still associated with Dabpress as far as I know. Could get a nice discount. Visit the sponsors link and go their websites directly.

I have cranked down on my handle, and I had no negative consequences. Except of course putting too much pressure on the stuffed bags and ripping holes in it. Could go with pre-pressed pucks direct between some good parchment and just dig out the small pieces of flower.
Take a look at my rosin thread in my signature.
Join this thread and just start learning! Could not recommend it enough. So much wisdom right there. I have learned so much just reading there and minimizing my failures that way. It is a lot of fun to process your own rosin and an amazing way to enjoy the terpenes.
Is it hard to take it out of the freezer and cut off a small piece, and put the silicone container back, without thawing out the whole lot?
You could also just keep it stored in a cool place. As long as it isn't kept in a warm spot, it will be good. I have done the freezer thing too. It softens up fairly quickly.

Best of luck on your journey. Anything we can do to help, just tag us or PM us. Blessings.

As long as you don’t torque down on the handle like a gorilla, you’ll be fine. However, the price is a little higher than you are looking for, but I wouldn’t go any smaller…that’s just me. As for the automatic ones I doubt you’ll find anything close to your price range.
The ones I was asking about breakage didn't have the jack, they were the ones where the pressure was just pulling down on the handle and pushing the plates together. The 6 ton looks sturdier.

I watched the video and it was helpful. I wish he would have slowed the bag load up and folding better.

The wife doesn't partake so most of the pricey stuff I buy, she wants equivalent $$$ to buy something. :rolleyes:

The ones I was asking about breakage didn't have the jack, they were the ones where the pressure was just pulling down on the handle and pushing the plates together. The 6 ton looks sturdier.

I watched the video and it was helpful. I wish he would have slowed the bag load up and folding better.

The wife doesn't partake so most of the pricey stuff I buy, she wants equivalent $$$ to buy something. :rolleyes:
Tit for Tat… That’s how it works. LOL

You got this!

I am planning on ordering the Dabpress 6 ton at the $429 price. What filter bag and mesh# do you recommend for pressing flower? Also what mold is needed for that bag?

I am seeing a lot of flat bags but not the barrel/keg shaped ones. It was mentioned that they may be better. What size of this type is best and what mold is used for it?

sorry to hijack been thinking about getting a press sometime.
Being in the uk hard to get a Dabpress 6 ton.
Whats on the uk market worth buying in its price range.;)

I ordered the six ton DabPress through their Amazon store. The link on 420Magazine worked a little different and wanted PayPal and after trying that and trying to use a credit card it failed. The transaction worked going through my existing Amazon account.

i still need to know about the best size micron holes for pressing herb and I would like to use the rosin filter bags that are shaped like little kegs as opposed to flat bags. And do I need molds to pre press and are those just pressed with C-clamps or do you use the press to mold them?

I ordered the six ton DabPress through their Amazon store. The link on 420Magazine worked a little different and wanted PayPal and after trying that and trying to use a credit card it failed. The transaction worked going through my existing Amazon account.

i still need to know about the best size micron holes for pressing herb and I would like to use the rosin filter bags that are shaped like little kegs as opposed to flat bags. And do I need molds to pre press and are those just pressed with C-clamps or do you use the press to mold them?
I replied on my rosin thread. Anyway, I use anywhere from 120 micron to 160 micron bags. I believe they are 2x4. I prefer to use the 160 micron. I now use a round mold (also on amazon) and I use my arm strength to smash it down and sometimes use a hand clamp, but mostly I’ll just smash with my arm power. The hardest part—for me—is putting the weed puck into the bag.

Congratulations again, oh, and I expect pictures…and a sample of your first smash. :cheesygrinsmiley:

I replied on my rosin thread. Anyway, I use anywhere from 120 micron to 160 micron bags. I believe they are 2x4. I prefer to use the 160 micron. I now use a round mold (also on amazon) and I use my arm strength to smash it down and sometimes use a hand clamp, but mostly I’ll just smash with my arm power. The hardest part—for me—is putting the weed puck into the bag.

Congratulations again, oh, and I expect pictures…and a sample of your first smash. :cheesygrinsmiley:

You got it.
I ordered 120 micron Dabpress 2x4.5" filter bags and a Dabpress cylinder mold for that size bag. I also ordered toolkit with silicone case and a silicone mat with silicone storage container. The only thing I haven't got is the parchment paper but I'm thinking it's sold at the store in the baking isle.

Does the pressed puck fit snugly in the filter bag or is it loose?

Should I use 7gr or do you find less works better?

The filter bag stated features say that they can be cut in half for bottle style. That would leave one bag open on both ends. Is it sufficient to fold both ends and put in the press?

You got it.
I ordered 120 micron Dabpress 2x4.5" filter bags and a Dabpress cylinder mold for that size bag. I also ordered toolkit with silicone case and a silicone mat with silicone storage container. The only thing I haven't got is the parchment paper but I'm thinking it's sold at the store in the baking isle.

Does the pressed puck fit snugly in the filter bag or is it loose?

Should I use 7gr or do you find less works better?

The filter bag stated features say that they can be cut in half for bottle style. That would leave one bag open on both ends. Is it sufficient to fold both ends and put in the press?
1. The puck will fit snugly. It’s the hardest part for me…getting the puck into the bag.
2. I “eyeball” it now. Start with 5 grams and see how it goes.
3. I put the puck in the bag and cut off the extra. I have used many of the cutoffs and it’s fine as long as you have enough to fold over on both sides. However, when I first started this, there weren’t any bags. We used to just smash the puck without a bag, right on the parchment. It will work, but often get more contaminants naturally. As you experiment you’ll get more proficient. “Practice makes perfect.”

I just squeezed this:

I should get everything by tomorrow night if Amazon is right and they usually are. They did have parchment paper at the store, so I should be giving it a try by Friday sometime.

I had a scare with my grows. We lost power at 0200 Tuesday and it didn't come back on until 1900 last night(Tues.) so both rooms missed a lights on cycle. They seem to be fine. I did put the Vanilla Kush into flower, about a week before I intended to.

No need to drum up another thread. So, items needed are a dab press, bags to press in, parchment to collect the pressing and a storage container ??

Thoughts on a dab smoker ??
You need silicone pads and at least one silicone tipped tool. This stuff is sticky. If you drop a piece onto most surfaces while it's still warm you will play hell trying to recover it. When cold from the frig., you have a few moments to get it back on the silicone or whatever you're using to smoke it in before it's glued for good.
I use a mold to press it into a good size before putting it in the filter bag to press squeeze. I like the cylinder molds better than the rectangular molds. I use a 5 or 6 inch C-clamp to fully close the mold. Some use a table vise others just use their hands. :cheesygrinsmiley:
If I think of something else I will come back and add it.

You need silicone pads and at least one silicone tipped tool. This stuff is sticky. If you drop a piece onto most surfaces while it's still warm you will play hell trying to recover it. When cold from the frig., you have a few moments to get it back on the silicone or whatever you're using to smoke it in before it's glued for good.
I use a mold to press it into a good size before putting it in the filter bag to press squeeze. I like the cylinder molds better than the rectangular molds. I use a 5 or 6 inch C-clamp to fully close the mold. Some use a table vise others just use their hands. :cheesygrinsmiley:
If I think of something else I will come back and add it.

I believe they call it a “dab rig” I misspoke. Here is the press im interested in, it hits my price point.
1667136705631.png

Back
Top Bottom