Is there any smell when drying buds in a cardboard box?

Phillybonker

Just wanted to know from those that have dried buds in cardboard boxes, is there any smell that leaks out of a fully sealed cardboard box?

I can't tell myself because I don't have a very good sense of smell.

Just wanted to know from those that have dried buds in cardboard boxes, is there any smell that leaks out of a fully sealed cardboard box?

After a day or two yes if it's freshly harvested and a stinky strain. But please My friend, drying buds Do Need slow airflow around them while hang drying.. Ya can't just shove em in an enclosed box. It will just mold out, without some air-exchange.

After a day or two yes if it's freshly harvested and a stinky strain.
Okay thanks for the heads up.

But please My friend, drying buds Do Need slow airflow around them while hang drying.. Ya can't just shove em in an enclosed box. It will just mold out, without some air-exchange.

Not hang drying, just laying the buds on newspaper inside the box - buds, then layer of newspaper, buds, then layer of newspaper.

Because of my circumstances, using a fan for airflow is not an option. The best I can do is open the box twice a day to let out any moisture and humidity.

I know, I know, far from ideal but my options are extremely limited.

Maybe drying in paper bags is a better option?

Okay thanks for the heads up.

Not hang drying, just laying the buds on newspaper inside the box - buds, then layer of newspaper, buds, then layer of newspaper.

Because of my circumstances, using a fan for airflow is not an option. The best I can do is open the box twice a day to let out any moisture and humidity.

I know, I know, far from ideal but my options are extremely limited.

I Completely Understand that you're situation just isn't compatible at the moment for a proper dry. I get it! Damn difficult situation. But there are other ways to discreetly dry Buds. Just Here me out :bongrip::passitleft:

One trick is Could you throw them into the Deep freezer or regular freezer? That would be a form of "Freeze Drying" of buds. It works well. Just make sure the box or bags have holes for moisture dispersion.

Or is there a Trustworthy friend maybe, that ya could hang the Fresh buds at? Or even a box Will work. But airflow Is Utmost Important. Buds exhaust a lot of moisture in the first 3-5 days of drying. That's why Air Exchange is so important. I hope that Helps ya wi your question. JM2C :rollit::peace:

Very much so if You Can!! It works good but you have to vent, And allow for Air exhaust Somehow.. Basically it's just Burping the bag litterly, 2 To 4 times every 24 hours. Keep the temps under 71F and humidity at 40-55 RH. And a small fan for Air Exchange. Same wi curing Bud in mason jars..

If you have room what about a brown bag fridge slow cure?

I mean hang drying in a cardboard box is a better idea where you poke the stems through the cardboard but then you still have to provide airflow on one open side of the box..than layering a lasagna with buds and newspapers in a closed cardboard box as that will indeed mould like crazy.

Are you growing in a tent with exhaust and filter? you could use that to dry unless you're already growing again.

When you freeze bud the trichome stalks get brittle and easily break free so they must not be disturbed. Same action as making bubble hash. Separating veg from trichomes with cold. Commercial freeze dried is not the same as throwing a bag in the fridge. Vacuum sealed jars in a deep freezer is closer and will preserve more of the terpenes. No smell, much faster but a bland smoke compared to a proper dry and cure.

Enclosing the bud just holds back some of the smell but then it all floods out all at once when you vent. If you don't vent long enough to let most all the smell out, you didn't vent enough and you could mold. They sell bags that people hang in there basements to absorb moisture and odors. Active charcoal, silica gel, scent diffusing crystals together will stop the smell. Cut a hole down low in your drying box with a fan slowly pushing air in. Cut a hole in the top of the drying box for air to escape into a shoe box, with the odor, then humidity, then scented packs, then out into the room. Used this method many, many, many times until they legalized.

Probably would be. Put one layer of buds or buds still on the sticks in the bag. Fold the top over and place the bag in a dark space that will remain at room temperature or close to it. Once a day open the bag and shake up the buds. After several minutes close the bag.

Around here the usual brown paper grocery bags are a coarse paper pulp and will breathe slowly so there is a mild but continuous air exchange. I have noticed that the white paper bags or brown paper with a lot of color to them do no breathe as well so the buds take longer to dry.

No matter what I have always gotten the smell of the buds while drying. Sometimes more and sometimes less but it is there. Even with the paper bag in the fridge method the smell fills the room when the fridge is opened to get something.

One trick is Could you throw them into the Deep freezer or regular freezer? That would be a form of "Freeze Drying" of buds. It works well. Just make sure the box or bags have holes for moisture dispersion.

Deep freezer is not an option due to no access to electricity. I'm drying in the bush.

Or is there a Trustworthy friend maybe, that ya could hang the Fresh buds at?

Unfortunately for me this is also not an option.

Or even a box Will work. But airflow Is Utmost Important. Buds exhaust a lot of moisture in the first 3-5 days of drying. That's why Air Exchange is so important. I hope that Helps

Even though it's only been about 20 hours the buds are looking happy as far as I can tell. These are not big untrimmed colas or anything like that, these are relatively small buds that are mostly trimmed.

The cardboard/newspaper environment I have these buds in looks too dry for botrytis to take hold but only time will tell I guess.

Very much so if You Can!! It works good but you have to vent, And allow for Air exhaust Somehow.. Basically it's just Burping the bag litterly, 2 To 4 times every 24 hours. Keep the temps under 71F and humidity at 40-55 RH. And a small fan for Air Exchange. Same wi curing Bud in mason jars..

I'll give the paper bag method a go when I harvest the rest of my buds next week. Most of the buds are still out in the bush ripening, I'm only currently drying about 4 OZ's.

layering a lasagna with buds and newspapers in a closed cardboard box as that will indeed mould like crazy.

Well we are about to find out. It's only about 1/3 of my grow, I harvest the rest next week.

Are you growing in a tent with exhaust and filter? you could use that to dry unless you're already growing again.

I'm drying outside in the bush. The cardboard box is currently stashed in the bush.

Probably would be. Put one layer of buds or buds still on the sticks in the bag. Fold the top over and place the bag in a dark space that will remain at room temperature or close to it. Once a day open the bag and shake up the buds. After several minutes close the bag.

Around here the usual brown paper grocery bags are a coarse paper pulp and will breathe slowly so there is a mild but continuous air exchange. I have noticed that the white paper bags or brown paper with a lot of color to them do no breathe as well so the buds take longer to dry.

No matter what I have always gotten the smell of the buds while drying. Sometimes more and sometimes less but it is there. Even with the paper bag in the fridge method the smell fills the room when the fridge is opened to get something.

I'll give the paper bags a go next week when I pull the rest of my plants.

Knowing you are drying in the bush helps narrow down suggestions. If you are drying in the bush after growing in the bush, why is smell a concern? What is the outside RH forecast for the next week or two? 60-70deg at 50ish RH is the goal. Card board box with a layer of cat litter in the bottom to dry the air. black box to raise temp and shade to lower it. If the out side air is too far out of rang venting could make it a worse environment. you have to make that call.

Knowing you are drying in the bush helps narrow down suggestions. If you are drying in the bush after growing in the bush, why is smell a concern?

Drying in the bush was plan B which I switched to after the first person to reply on this thread indicated smell will be a problem. Plan A was to dry in my van.

What is the outside RH forecast for the next week or two? 60-70deg at 50ish RH is the goal. Card board box with a layer of cat litter in the bottom to dry the air. black box to raise temp and shade to lower it.

57 - 75 RH, not ideal but that's what I have to work with. Thanks for the idea about the cat litter

If the out side air is too far out of rang venting could make it a worse environment. you have to make that call.

Good point about venting could make it a worse problem if the air is too humid, I didn't think of that.

Plan A was to dry in my van.
I remember that, the idea of drying in a van, and that was, what, about a year or maybe two years ago? Seem to remember several people bringing up that the smell might catch the attention of people walking near the van.

If you had access to an unused garage in an out of the way spot you might be able to dry there using some way to reduce the amount of bud smell.

Plan A was to dry in my van.
Talk to someone, I think last fall, bought drying in a van. Was that you?
As temp goes up, RH goes down and the other way around. RH goes up at night when temps drop. Inside a box would stay warmer at night ie, lower RH.
There is no magic number that 100% guaranties success or failure. Closer you get to an ideal environment the greater the odds of success. Heat and light can evaporate cannabinoids and terpenes. Damp stagnant air can promote mold. 75RH at 75deg with no direct light I would still say a good 90% chance of success. Any more heat or moisture and the odds drop fast.

I remember that, the idea of drying in a van, and that was, what, about a year or maybe two years ago? Seem to remember several people bringing up that the smell might catch the attention of people walking near the van.

Seems like a while a go but it was only last November when I posted that thread. I decided against drying in a van back then but in desperation I revisited the idea recently before finally settling on drying outdoors.

If you had access to an unused garage in an out of the way spot you might be able to dry there using some way to reduce the amount of bud smell.

An unused garage would be very handy right now.

I transferred the buds into paper bags, still outdoors. I won't be able to vent the paper bags for 48 hours as I'm out of town doing work related stuff so I'm in for a nervous wait. Hopefully I don't return to moldy buds.

Back
Top Bottom