Is this bud rot?

KarlJay

About 2 days ago, I noticed that the leaves on a few plants have white stuff on the edges. I noticed that it was only on the edges that were towards the fan. I only run 1 fan and these pics are from the plant that is closest to the fan.

The fan is on high during lights on and low when lights off.

These pics are all from the same plant.

116_2399.JPG
116_2401.JPG
116_2402.JPG
116_2403.JPG
116_2405.JPG
116_2406.JPG
116_2409.JPG

Notice how on some buds, the hairs are up and on some they are down. Also, the up ones are white, the down ones are brownish.

The white on the leaves doesn't rub off and it's also on 1/2 of the stem (the 1/2 that was on the fan side of the plant)

I wonder if the fan is set too high and is causing that 1/2 of the leaf to dry out.

The top bud looks fine and most of the buds look fine.

I'm not sure yet, but it looks like the ones affected are at the same level as the fan and might be on the side where the fan was.

This plant was directly in front of the fan and no plants on the other side show this.

the fan is a simple 16" moving fan and sits in front of the A/C.

Humidity is 30 to 35 just above the clone closet which is near the A/C. I don't know what it is at the plant level. The fan might be making it dryer at the plant level.

Here's a pic of something I just noticed, this bud is 1/2 damaged 1/2 fine. Everything damaged seems to be where the fan was.

I wonder if it's the force of the fan being on high and the cool A/C air behind the fan and the air being too dry.

116_2412.JPG
116_2411.JPG
116_2410.JPG

It's hard to tell, but one side of this bud is clearly damaged, the other half looks fine to me.

Ok, the humidity gauge says the last hi-lo was 42-29 so I put the swamp cooler in there to up the humidity.

It's probably the additional light and constant fan A/C that dropped the humidity too low.

My watering in the past has been a lean in order to get the roots to search for water, but I'm pretty sure they filled the bag, so I'm going to be a bit more agressive on the watering.

Might also be that they are now larger plants in the same 5 gallon bag and they need more water or at least more often.

I was using the wait till the small one started drooping, then water.

I also moved the most affected plant away from the fan, we'll see what happens over the next few days.

I might have been to lean with the water and the fan might have been too close. I'm just guessing, the only clue I have is that it's mainly where the fan was close to the plant.

I think the bud that's 1/2 good 1/2 bad is the main clue. What else could cause 1/2 of a bud to do that? Too much wind pressure?

I've also noticed the plants droop when they get too dry. Those hairs probably didn't have the strength because of lack of water and wind pressure. Once they fell down, they don't get the same light and turn brown...

Just guessing on parts of this...

Bud rot occurs at high humdity above 70% RH, which large fat & dense colas being more prone to suffer from rot :thumb:

Very unlikely to be powdery mildew either with your low humidity.

Looks like a combination of not enough water and too much nitrogen. I don't know if it will turn them around at this point but you may consider an Epsom flush... don't go the other way and water too much, after the flush let them dry out, a bit. The brown hairs are due to either or a combo of age, pollinated, damaged. Pistils naturally turn brown with age or if they are pollinated. You may want to look around and see if you have a hermaphrodite plant.

A one time heat or heat/wind/RH extreme combo, could do one sided effects like little burns on leaves or miss shaped buds. But so could a #3 at Papito's. Did you check to see the damage with a micro? It looks like the plant has newer growth that is not sprinkled with trichome looking dots. Lending to the theory of a problem corrected.

yeayea, are the new pics from the same plant, closest to wind? Is the garden same strain? Confirm RH? High wind speed = low RH, either one in extreme will burn most plants, combined can really slow things down. I haven't used a oil based product that would essentially cover the plant surface with a thin coat of suffocating oil to kill any critters living on or under them leaves, but would if it was a viable option. Or so he says.

well with the new pics yes, now its clear.

Yeah man you got PM and bud rot.

I can see PM and that one stem pic and some leaves.

I can clearly see mold on a bud in one pic too.

Sorry bro. I would cutt off the infected buds so the plant will put its energy into none moldy buds. Then hit the plant with a h202 spray then immediately after a compost tea spray.

Youd think that is a silly idea to get a moldy PM plant wet. But trust brother. The h202 will kill the spores. Then the compost tea will help prevent more from happening. Adding some type of light oil to the compost tea wouldnt hurt either. grape seed oil or coconut isnt too bad cause the taste dont suck if it ends up staying around till harvest.

@jimmy, doesn't Powdery Mildew wipe off? The online pics I've see show it as a bunch of spots on the leaves and I thought I saw where someone was wiping it off the leaves with a sponge.

Also, if it is Powdery Mildew, the fan could be spreading it to the other plants right? So I'd be best to move those plants to where they don't blow on the others.

Is there any test for Powdery Mildew?

I called the local coop where the clone came from and they said I could bring it in. I don't want to do that because of the size.

Isn't the H2O2 or baking soda what they wipe on the leaves to treat?

yeayea, are the new pics from the same plant, closest to wind? Is the garden same strain? Confirm RH? High wind speed = low RH, either one in extreme will burn most plants, combined can really slow things down. I haven't used a oil based product that would essentially cover the plant surface with a thin coat of suffocating oil to kill any critters living on or under them leaves, but would if it was a viable option. Or so he says.

The pics are all the same plant. It was closest to the fan and the fan is 16" on high. Two strains Rascal OG, Mr NiceGuy. RH was in the 30s

Can't see any critters at this point, but will check.

Back
Top Bottom