JC's Aley 1904

JCsuperstar

Last season I crossed a male Trainwreck with a number of different females. This journal documents the cross with Lebanese landrace. I had four females. One I moved out to cross with a 707 Headband male. Here are parents. (Bear with me; this is my first grow journal and I had not planned it out at all.)

The Trainwreck dad is obviously the one in focus in the foreground. One of the three Lebanese ladies is in the background.

I currently have three of this cross growing in and underground grow space with a few Mantis Commercial 315 CMH Fixture running Philips 315 Watt 3100k Bulb on 18-hr daily duty. I reprovisioned a pot that one of my Lebanese from last season was in to put a clone in outside to change its photoperiod and get gender expression going. After watering a bit, five others sprouted from the soil. I generally pull my plants up from the pot and cut the stem by the roots (dropping to the top of the pot) to make it easy to clean up. Apparently, some of the TW x LB seeds fell as the plant shook then. So, I have some additional ones.

Now for the ALEY 1904 name. If you google it, the first two hits currently, completely unrelated to each other, name it. The first refers to a tragic train wreck in Aley, Lebanon on 12 April 1904, an explosion that killed 8 people. The second is about a train wreck at the 1904 World's Fair that killed the Tilghman Howard Aley family of Cedar Vale, Kansas. Don't ask me how I accumulate such ridiculous trivia, but the connections were too good not to use for this strain.

As for the grow, I like to use Fox Farm's Ocean Forest soil. Early fertilizing is with the dry Dr. Earth Tomato & Herb (4-6-3). General fertilizing in vegetative mode is Alaska Fish Fertilizer (5-1-1). Flowering time, I had been using Fox Farm's Tiger Bloom (2-8-4), but am considering others. Have earthworm casings, but probably with not need to augment it ever. Also picked up Terpinator (0-0-4) to see if it can boost the terpene expression as harvest approaches. Various pot sizes are used. I like to bring them out of the 18on/6off underground to outdoor, in pot, growing in partial sun. (There are exceptions. The Highland Thai I did last year was enormous and had to be planted in the ground. It did not finish until late December, amazingly.) Obviously, the five unplanned pregnancies are getting complete normal outdoor photoperiod. Since it is early in the season, I expect them to grow vegetative for quite a stretch. Will add more photos when I have some daylight to take them. The product should be about 90% sativa and I figure THC level might be mid or high teens to low twenties percent. But I will have it tested.

Here are the 5 that were unexpected. Will need to pull the planted clone over to a different pot and eventual separate these guys.

20190422_091707.jpg

The 3 starting out in my underground grow space.

20190422_121251.jpg

So, have 8 total to work with. (Found I got 4 Trainwreck x Diesel Auto growing errantly in another pot.) All 8 are very young but should all make it to maturity.

Four days later, the 3 newbies are all at the big propeller stage. They can stay with their litter mates in the 18/6 veg space for quite some time still.
20190426_185841.jpg

The 6 accidental outside are doing okay. They are too packed together and will need to be transplanted sooner. Hate doing that at this fragile stage.
20190426_191656.jpg

Two and a half days later, the three growing in the 18/6 environment are markedly more mature. The outdoor or six are expectedly about the same, not nearly ready to divide up.

20190429_102829.jpg

20190429_103304.jpg

3 weeks after they popped up
20190514_175028.jpg

Getting up there. Need to split the 3 up and take clones from the strongest of them as it branches. At least one will be used for feminized seeds.

The ones outside are nearly ready to re-pot separately too.
20190514_180229.jpg

Looked into them an #3 has expressed as male. So out he went for pollen collection in a while.
20190529_143529.jpg

20190529_143543.jpg

Have a dozen or so others, besides the other 2 more mature ones that are likely females. The others I will likely plant in a tight patch to pollinate each other to get a few thousand regular seeds. So this pollen will probably be for experimentation. If they end up testing with a high CBD:THC ratio, like the Lebanese landrace parent did, it might be good pollen for generating potential high CBD strains that are not extremely indica.

The two other planned ones have presented as females in the 12-hour cycle. I should clone the stronger of the two and use it to create femined seeds.
20190614_160321.jpg
20190614_160413.jpg

Looks like #2 is the better candidate. Either will need to get a good lower branch or wait for one to generate a clone. 100ppm GA3 should work at this stage of development. If I can get two clones, I will. Using one to pollinate the other should beat self-pollination.

You can see the pollen (white powder) plainly.

Bought a case of hot/cold takeout bags from a store that was going out of business a while back. Figured they would be handy for something someday. They are good to bag pollen and later transfer to female budding branches, for selective pollination.

Back
Top Bottom