Jungle Joe Goes Off The Rails With Canuk Seeds

Now that I've got a means to see trichomes properly, I should be able to tell when to harvest , not just roll the dice...:thedoubletake:
Great looking piece of kit for closeups Joe!

I try to harvest with something like 5% - 15% amber. I think many folk aim for something like this, but I'm only growing outdoors so once harvest is over, that's it for another year.

The trouble is I don't really know when exactly is the right time to harvest. Having some amber is mostly me following the advice of others. Some people have said they prefer a much higher percentage of amber. I know I could cut off 'testers' at different stages, but I find whenever I try out such 'testers' they always seem good which is possibly just because it's a new plant and new strain that with usage over time can become more average than I first thought.

And for another curve ball, some folk say about Sativas, to not let them go to amber.

Sorry for the waffle, I chop when I get some amber but I still don't really know when exactly is the best chop point. I wonder if anyone else is sure about when is best, or are we all following the chopping at some amber?

I wonder if anyone else is sure about when is best, or are we all following the chopping at some amber?
It's user-specific Stunger. I think all have an opinion about when is best. :Rasta:

That was a good question @Stunger cuz I wonder about that too. I'm gonna harvest when the tricks are cloudy and there might be a few ambers. As well as idk if you guys chop it any time or have a preferred chop time. I'm gonna chop mine 2 hrs prior to when I actually turn the lights on. Cuz just cuz you cut that throat doesn't mean she's dead right away. It takes plants a few hours, days to actually 💀🥀 an I think 🧐 that could be a good way to save the good stuff cuz she'll still wake up and go full on like she usually does, an then by the lights end she will stop producing for the most part. Same as a snake will wiggle til the sun goes down. Lol. I shouldn't smoke before thinking hard ☺️

It's user-specific Stunger. I think all have an opinion about when is best. :Rasta:
Thanks GDB, you're right that it's all down to individual preference. I have an opinion to aim for some amber, but what I mean is, that is more just me following the herd than knowing if it is really best, I can't really back my opinion other than to say that's when I do it.

If I was indoor growing I could flip some plants of the same strain when small and stagger the chopping at different points and see what the difference is. But with outdoor growing, I just want to start them early to make the most of the outdoor window, and plus I don't have the space in my stealth limited world to easily make such a comparison grow. I am ok with aiming for some amber but I am just not sure exactly when is best. I'd almost just guess that there is simply a general window of maybe 7 - 10 days where the result is best and quite possibly there isn't a big difference where in that window that they are chopped.

Thanks GDB, you're right that it's all down to individual preference. I have an opinion to aim for some amber, but what I mean is, that is more just me following the herd than knowing if it is really best, I can't really back my opinion other than to say that's when I do it.

If I was indoor growing I could flip some plants of the same strain when small and stagger the chopping at different points and see what the difference is. But with outdoor growing, I just want to start them early to make the most of the outdoor window, and plus I don't have the space in my stealth limited world to easily make such a comparison grow. I am ok with aiming for some amber but I am just not sure exactly when is best. I'd almost just guess that there is simply a general window of maybe 7 - 10 days where the result is best and quite possibly there isn't a big difference where in that window that they are chopped.
You can take early testers off of an outdoor grow at varying stages of amber. Dry 'em, smoke 'em, evaluate 'em and then repeat at a later date! :Rasta:

Good info on trichomes here

I'm glad I'm not the only one who struggles with chop time.
I'll be going for minimal amber. That's why I chopped that top, I saw one amber but it was on a leaf not the bud. Lesson learnt, check the calyxes next time.

1000001064.jpg

Not trying to bust anyone's balls... 👍😇

You can take early testers off of an outdoor grow at varying stages of amber. Dry 'em, smoke 'em, evaluate 'em and then repeat at a later date! :Rasta:
Yeah, as I mentioned on this further up the page, I tend find early testers can be amazing on first smoke/vape, but over time the hit they deliver can reduce down to 'average' as I become accustomed to it. But thanks.

Good info on trichomes here
Thanks Wakka, maybe this cut n paste of that page sums it up, which is pretty much what I have been tending to go by as a chop point.

It's almost impossible to harvest without at least some amber trichomes (and some clear), keeping the amber trichomes to the minimum is key if you want maximum potency out of your plant.
Usually if you are careful and watchful you will end up with around 5% clear trichomes, 10% amber and 85% cloudy trichomes.
That is a very reasonable % split and is what you should be aiming for.

Yeah, as I mentioned on this further up the page, I tend find early testers can be amazing on first smoke/vape, but over time the hit they deliver can reduce down to 'average' as I become accustomed to it. But thanks.
My bad. I forgot you said that.

Here's my second stab:

You can take early testers off of an outdoor grow at varying stages of amber. Dry 'em, cure 'em, smoke 'em, evaluate 'em (separately of course). If you cure them each in a separate labelled jar you might be able to determine what amber stage is your fav.

I like to cure bud for at least 30 days before I feel I can fairly determine what it really is. But even that weed seems to be a bit better around 30 days later.

Back
Top Bottom