Canuk Seeds Comparative Grow

Roots get "air pruned" by being under watered in my book. Roots dying off is something I try to avoid growing my plants. Plants transpires and "breathes" through their leaves and feeding solution, otherwise you would be out of luck growing in water cultures.
your so wrong bro.. smart pots are good for smart asses too yeah know .... your plants will love smart pots

for drain to waste growing..

ps roots breath too .. thats why u pump in the o2 into the water tank in hydroponics operations

The roots get air pruned at the edges of the fabric container,
much like they do when they get to the bottom of a plastic one - unless they're sitting in water of course.
The roots not circling helps avoid them becoming root bound.
That in turn means you can grow larger plants in smaller containers, and there's of course less need for transplanting.
Seems perfect for keeping mother plants for example...

Anyway I don't want to derail the topic here. Perhaps we could debate this in another thread.

One of the frostiest plants I've had to date.
The smoke should be better after curing but my friend said it was the best he had all year. Big thanks @Canuk Seeds !!
20240311_020502.jpg

Zkittlez Glue Elite :headbanger:

IMG_1955.jpeg
IMG_1034.jpeg
IMG_1415.jpeg
IMG_0640.jpeg
IMG_2181.jpeg
IMG_1985.jpeg

We’re talking about pot sizes growing in coco to run off?

OK.

My opinion is everyone uses too big a pots in hydro/coco

Had a load of rockwool 15x15cm (6x6”) about 3 litres, 0.75 gallon delivered today.

The 3 litre solo cups bag 200g plus out of you nail it. Roots all around the edge like Wastei showed.

Sure our 5 gallon airpots go bigger but not everyone has a dedicated room with 3 metre high ceilings.

The problem with the fabric ones for me is the lack of support. They’re cheap and get the job done but the medium falls over and sinks and then the plant does too.

Rockwool though - its what I see 90% the commercial guys using in the US

So this grow we’ll give it a whirl.

Our @Canuk Seeds Gorilla Bruce are still in half gallon plastic pots. Good metre high. They’re in reveg, back on 18/6 stress testing them. Excuse the yellow - back on veg nutes but skipped watering on Saturday!

Nick

IMG_2182.jpeg

IMG_1955.jpeg
IMG_1034.jpeg
IMG_1415.jpeg
IMG_0640.jpeg
IMG_2181.jpeg
IMG_1985.jpeg

OK.

Had a load of rockwool 15x15cm (6x6”) about 3 litres, 0.75 gallon delivered today.

The 3 litre solo cups bag 200g plus out of you nail it. Roots all around the edge like Wastei showed.

Sure our 5 gallon airpots go bigger but not everyone has a dedicated room with 3 metre high ceilings.

The problem with the fabric ones for me is the lack of support. They’re cheap and get the job done but the medium falls over and sinks and then the plant does too.

Our @Canuk Seeds Gorilla Bruce are still in half gallon plastic pots. Good metre high. They’re in reveg, back on 18/6 stress testing them. Excuse the yellow - back on veg nutes but skipped watering on Saturday!

Nick

IMG_2182.jpeg
Cool setup man. !

IMG_1955.jpeg
IMG_1034.jpeg
IMG_1415.jpeg
IMG_0640.jpeg
IMG_2181.jpeg
IMG_1985.jpeg

OK.

Nick

IMG_2182.jpeg
Flood tables with rockwool is a winning concept! So easy to operate and the results speak for themselves, and less to no need for Calmag Nick! 😂

Flood tables with rockwool is a winning concept! So easy to operate and the results speak for themselves, and less to no need for Calmag Nick! 😂
Wait what?!

No Cal-Mag?! Heresy!

@Bill284 was saying the preferred Ph range changes?

I think we missed using them this grow - the holes are say 5cm diameter - ours are already in solos so the root balls too big?

I have a solo cup sized (90mm) cutter though?

Ok Wastei I gotta ask, how come you don’t need c-m in Rockwool? CL🍀. :ciao: :cheesygrinsmiley:
I'm wondering if he means pre buffering with it - we don't do that because our coco comes pre buffered but they still want Calcium, right?

You better asked the question than me!

Ok Wastei I gotta ask, how come you don’t need c-m in Rockwool? CL🍀. :ciao: :cheesygrinsmiley:
With a complete plant food in a complete inert medium like rockwool it's often not needed. In water cultures like DWC, flood tables etc "Calmag" is solely used as a pH up buffer and there's better more stable buffers for that purpose like potassium silicate or bicarbonate.

In coir and peat it has its place since the medium holds on to the added mineral buffers which help maintaining the mineral ratio of the base of the plant food. Calmag is only detrimental if added when not needed. It's all about mineral ratios and how we better keep those in check.

With a complete plant food in a complete inert medium like rockwool it's often not needed. In water cultures like DWC, flood tables etc "Calmag" is solely used as a pH up buffer and there's better more stable buffers for that purpose like potassium silicate or bicarbonate.

In coir and peat it has its place since the medium holds on to the added mineral buffers which help maintaining the mineral ratio of the base of the plant food. Calmag is only detrimental if added when not needed. It's all about mineral ratios and how we better keep those in check.
OK, huh maybe.

OK - but the calcium demand is fulfilled by their A/B in an inert media? I buy Hydro/Coco RO Dutch Pro Veg and Bloom and their Cal Mag is one of the only things not available in 20 litre (5 Gallon Cans) here because they just assume - yeah you won't need it?

Their Cal-Mag btw is 5-0-0 + Fe. Sounds fierce!

Does that make sense Wastei? Am I understanding correctly?

That implies I just follow the Dutch Pro PH 5.8-6.0 guidance still even though rockwool? tyvm in advance.

Cheers!

Nick

OK, huh maybe.

OK - but the calcium demand is fulfilled by their A/B in an inert media? I buy Hydro/Coco RO Dutch Pro Veg and Bloom and their Cal Mag is one of the only things not available in 20 litre (5 Gallon Cans) here because they just assume - yeah you won't need it?

Their Cal-Mag btw is 5-0-0 + Fe. Sounds fierce!

Does that make sense Wastei? Am I understanding correctly?

That implies I just follow the Dutch Pro PH 5.8-6.0 guidance still even though rockwool? tyvm in advance.

Cheers!

Nick
Yes that is 100% correct. Calmag didn't use to be a thing back in the day. It took Canna many years before they gave in and released a Calmag product. When I started growing many nutrient manufacturers hadn't started selling any Calmag products yet.

Traditional two part formulas was carried over from the tomato industry and they typically have high amounts of Ca and Mg already in the mix.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom