Thank you! I am super pumped with how they're doing. Going to be trimming them later this afternoon, I know they need it bad lol.

What kind of trimming are you going to be doing? Its an outdoor grow the only thing you should be doing is "topping" them. =)

What kind of trimming are you going to be doing? Its an outdoor grow the only thing you should be doing is "topping" them. =)
What are you planning to trim? Outdoors, with the moving sunlight, plants get plenty of penetration. Remember, leaves are sugar factories that power growth.

Sorry, yes, mainly topping =) especially the rockstar (the larger girl). There's just a few larger leafs at the top with no chutes that I want to take down as well as they're blocking big portions under it.

Topping is good - it will make them bushy.

I only remove lower leaves if they are in the shade and the plant has given up on them and is pulling the stored nutrients out of them (turning yellow).

Topping is good - it will make them bushy.

I only remove lower leaves if they are in the shade and the plant has given up on them and is pulling the stored nutrients out of them (turning yellow).

Hmm, I have a question/something that mayhaps needs to be fact-checked then.

I was told that leaves with no chutes are essentially useless and that trimming them means that all the nutrients they have will be directed elsewhere to the plant (ones with chutes and to places where you get flower growth).

Looking good!!! Be careful of that cage wire you have, it will cut into your plants as its very thin if they get to big in it! Keep up the awesome work!

Thank you! Yes, ideally I don't wouldn't want to use it at all >.<
I gotta change it up a bit/MacGyver something in the next couple days. The rabbits here are notorious plant/tree killers.

was told that leaves with no chutes are essentially useless and that trimming them means that all the nutrients they have will be directed elsewhere to the plant (ones with chutes and to places where you get flower growth).

I’m not sure what you mean by leaves without shoots, but if the fan/sun leaves are removed while green and healthy, the nutrients that the plant worked to create and store in them are removed also. The plant will then spend more energy to replace them.

I’m not sure what you mean by leaves without shoots, but if the fan/sun leaves are removed while green and healthy, the nutrients that the plant worked to create and store in them are removed also. The plant will then spend more energy to replace them.

The larger leaves that are only single leaves growing from the main stalk.. by clipping those, future nutrients that would be stored there, would be redirected elsewhere to the plant (I could have worded that way better the first time lol).

by clipping those, future nutrients that would be stored there, would be redirected elsewhere to the plant

In a sense, this is not incorrect - insofar as future nutrients would be redirected - but only if the storage in the leaf is already full. It’s still a net loss for the plant.

In a sense, this is not incorrect - insofar as future nutrients would be redirected - but only if the storage in the leaf is already full. It’s still a net loss for the plant.

Yeah it definitely makes sense when you lay it out like that, as more energy is expended in trying to regrow.

Thank you! I appreciate all the help and tips I can get right now =)

Defoliation has been proven to stunt growth and that is not true at all. All big fan leaves are stored nutrients that are waiting to be used when needed. Im sure you have heard cutting fan leaves and defoliation here as 90% of 420 mag growers now grow with Sponsored LED lights so they must cut their plants all up for light penetration since their weak LED's cant. You wont see outdoor growers defoliate anything lol.... Its not needed. Some of these guys grow 12 feet tall "TREES" with zero defoliation. thousands of fan leaves all over. You have multiple plants if you ever wanted to do a "test" yourself. I recommend only topping them until you get the desired tops. =) Glad to be here to watch them grow! Very knowledgeable guys here!

Check in time! Edited the chicken wire, other than that, everything has stayed more or less the same. Their growth has seriously taken off. Super happy.

I snipped the wire in half and added it length wise to give more room at the base. Seems to work well- rabbits haven't gone near them!

20200625_205018.jpg
20200625_205018.jpg

Attachments

• 20200625_205002.jpg
    20200625_205002.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
All I am going to say is that Japanese Beetles can go straight to heckin' HECK. They have INFESTED the umbrella tree right beside the plants. So far, they prefer the umbrella tree (thankfully, damage has been super minimal), but I am trying to get on this now. I don't doubt that once the tree is gone, that the plants will be next.

This afternoon I set up 2 japanese beetle traps, and gave a good spray coating of neem oil mixture on everything. I'm hoping that they repel and go straight for the traps. The less touchy-touchy, the better. They give me the creeps lol.
20200713_183636.jpg

Back
Top Bottom