Kosmi's First Grow - $40 DIY Grow Box Experiment

Kosmi

Hi everyone, this is my first post, and i decided to make a journal of my experiment.

Using materials I had around (and just a couple store items) I've converted a foot locker into a grow box with a carbon scrubber. I'm using bag seeds that I've had for a while, and just decided I'd get my feet wet a little. Here's the set up:

Vertical foot locker 1x1.5x3
4 42w 6500k cfls
4" 80cfm fan
4"x2' diy carbon scrubber

I'm hoping that there won't be any smell in the shed where I built this, just don't want to stink up my neighbors yards. Any advice would be appreciated. I'm planning on light lst to make the most of the growing space. I have two seeds germinating, but I will only keep one plant (hoping one will be female).

Here's some pics of the build, once I get some sprouts I'll update it some more. Also still have to line the inside with a reflective material still.

image19548.jpg
image19542.jpg
image19547.jpg
image19546.jpg
image19545.jpg
image19544.jpg
image19543.jpg

cool subbed will that little computer fan be able to move enough air once it start to have a smell?

Well I sure hope so lol. It was the highest rated one that I could find in 4". Its actually 4.5" but I figured 1/4" overlap wouldn't really hurt the airflow. When sticking my hand above the exhaust, I definately feel airflow. If it doesn't move enough, I was thinking of adding another one on the top, so it'll have two fans, one pushing through the filter, and one pulling.

im just curious cause ive never seen anyone trying to pull the volume of air required for a carbon filter

Well I've read it both way on the forums. It seems some claim its best to push air through the filter, and some say to pull it through. Mounting was just a whole lot easier to set up a push. I got the box lined, and one seed sprouted, so I've got it in the box now. I'll update with more pics when it pops out of the dirt.

How early can you determine the sex of a plant, and how much bigger do they typically get once they go into flowering stage? I want to do lst, and have a short veg phase to train it. Any idea how long to keep it in each stage to maximize the space and yield?

I do hydro and I only veg 3 weeks on average sometimes I go longer depending on space in the bloom tent
if you veg long it will show sex but with limited space you could veg for roughly 3 weeks under 18/6 then put it into 12/12 for bloom and it should stretch another 2-3 times its height
and once into 12/12 I usually see sign of sex around week 3

Wow they grow like weeds! Go figure lol. cant wait to see what 1 week looks like. The other seed is just poking through the dirt.
image19666.jpg

Very nice!

I have done something similar to you. I think you will be fine with that exhaust fan. Might even take a few ideas from your grow box myself.

Will defo be following your grow.
I will not forget the first seedling that popped into my life, now they are about 2 1/2 weeks old and I still get excited to check on them(four times a day lol)

Heh yeah I go check on them more often than I need to. For this grow, they're bag seed so I am really just doing it KISS style. I made a nice soil with perlite, rich top soil, and worn castings. It's mostly cause that's what I had around. I don't really plan on adding nutrients at all, except maybe a little worm tea here and there. I've been super stuffy the last couple days and I'm a little nervous about smell. I highly doubt they are giving off any odor as of yet, but if they start soon, I may not be able tell. I currently can't even smell it if I stick my nose in the jar I keep my weed in :(

I checked out your grow journal dchannn, will definitely be following to see how our grows stack up lol. Looks good, you definitely have a lot more room to work with than I do lol

The seedling in the back is now 1 week old and the one in the front is about 3 days behind it. I'm currently running a 24/0 lights and was gonna switch to 18/8 after they've both got true leaves. Then a week or two of training, and then 12/12 for flower. My goal is 2-4 colas on the plant but we'll see what happens lol

image19902.jpg

So I've read you can tell indica from sativa based on plant shape and leaf shape. Any ideas on these guys? Too young to tell? These are from bag seed collected over the last 5 years lol so I have no clue.

image19970.jpg
image19971.jpg

youll easily be able to tell once they start getting a bit bigger give it a week or two

Back
Top Bottom