Landrace Genetics 101

Like a tray of small samples ....(not all landrace, sorry)
-Emerald Thai
-Jamdung Weed
-Golden Tiger
-Oaxacan x Thai
-Rainbow Breeze
IMG_20221021_173500.jpg

This year I grew a cross I made last year, (Zamaldelica x Purple Satelite) and although the two plants grew into females the watering was sporadic and they didn't get very big. I suspect given proper conditions the plants would have been much taller and bushier. Nevertheless, I can't complain about the high. I microwaved a small bud to give a preview of its potential and I was quite amazed at its strength and clarity. It was like looking at a TV screen into another world. There was at the same time what felt like a space between me and the screen, I could see clearly and focus on what I was looking at, but I still found my mind wandering off into its own little rabitt holes and I'd have to concentrate to get back on track; It was a tad psychedelic. And it certainly was clear and somewhat warmer than Zamaldelica or Golden Tiger. I think the addition of Zamaldelica (Reunion Island X Golden Tiger (Malawi x Thai) and the Oaxacan Gold genes really kicked up the psychoactivity ratio, and the Nepalese contributed a little warmth you don't usually find in Zamaldelica and Golden Tiger. So all in all a very good cross and visually the purple colour is a nice addition too. I couldn't help myself so I pollinated a small branch with my Golden Tiger x Sinai pollen. Maybe I'll grow one of those seeds out next year.

IMG_20221017_154125274_2.jpg
Looks super nice job. I grew out Big Sur Holy Weed x Purple Satellite in coco. Similar effects it sounds like.

If this was poker you'd have a Royal Flush. What fabulous genetics!
Thanks!
It was part of a plan to make some experimental crosses, sadly I couldn't find a good male so I'll have a few extra grams to smoke...
This year was a difficult year, dry for most of the months, and then suddenly cold and wet, and then I had a decidedly disproportionate f / m towards the female side, and the few males were weak, ugly, precocious or hermie .. .
However, we must always look at the beautiful side of life: I will have a decent harvest of excellent sensimilla ;)

Been trying to grow this one outdoors for several years without much success until now.

Finally got a proper fall with some late summer without rain. Perrfect conditions. This was a cross I made from Liquid Imagination and some landrace from SA cross pollination indoors. Smells like 95 proof alkyhol today.

Weed got a few more good days then some rain. This weather has been the best ever for outdoor this year sans the mid summer drought so this plant was neglected all during that drought. I'm trying to find that plant that can withstand everything mother nature as to give. She had 75mph winds + hard torrential downpours then more drought....and week of rains. Then the summer time came back about 9 days ago and stayed highs in the 70s and lows in the high 30s.

She made it and she looks great - no pests no molds just a few spiders that kept the leaf hoppers. Black purple with some orange. Some nice size colas to go with.

20221024_165033.jpg

Panama by Ace
Day 79 since flip

I think the buds are starting to ripen a bit. Increasing browning of pistils and trichomes are getting more dense.

Panama Day 79 flower (6).JPG

Panama, Day 79 flower.

Panama Day 79 flower (5).JPG

Panama, Day 79 flower.

Panama Day 79 flower (9).JPG

Panama, Day 79 flower.

Panama Day 79 flower (8).JPG

Panama, Day 79 flower.

I wish I could still grow outdoors! My traditional growing areas are in a police state that does regular arial surveys and actively seek out indoor and outdoor growers. I did travel and grow some outdoor crops a couple decades ago in a distant location. All my cannabis back then, was grown outdoors, in the nineteen sixties, seventies and early eighties. Sativa loves growing in the lower Mississippi valley, especially on well drained hillsides with southern exposures! Some of the leaves of some of the plants were nearly as long as my lower arm and no wider than my thumb. I started mostly with Jamaican, Haitian and Panamanian because merchant seamen were the common sources here in the older days. Then the flood of Mexican, Afghan, Lebanese, Thai, Vietnamese and etc. started coming into our area, much of that by US military personnel or local people importing. The older local strains that were used prior the 1930's were wiped out, per my father by a massive eradication program, that involved spraying diesel oil from railcars, trucks and men with backpack sprayers that covered every alley and private yards in towns, ditch banks, gardens and fields. He said they did that in this area from the late 30's through the early fifties. They used FDR's CCC workers during the early eradication days. That is also when they started giving harsh prison terms to users and the ridiculous gateway drug theory, where they confused heroin and alcohol's effects and attributes with cannabis. My grandmother had once, legally purchased, tincture of cannabis in her medicine cabinet when she died in the 60's. My dad said she and other ladies used it in tea for "female complaints". She was as straight laced as one could get and a prohibition supporter against alcohol. FDR and Hoover were the evil fiends who started in earnest and have deprived many citizens of good medicine and persecuted their fellow citizens and deprived them of their constitutional rights with outlawing garden plants and important herbal medicines, while swilling alcohol and abusing prescription drugs became the norm for the "respectable" citizens, they accepted as their fellows and citizens with rights to be protected.

Nicely done Buddy. Looks like some transkei in the mix. Transkei will take some punishment that's for sure
I grew a male Transkie from your friend that was a beast and would have been 20 feet tall growing indoors I had to chop him down to a quarter of his size and stuffed him in a 5x5 tent and let him do his thing and collected a ton of pollen.

That one in the pic was a plant that got pollinated by a transkie female that was over 100 days in flower and threw some nanners (as expected) then I ran those seeds and this was the outdoor outcome. Smells like high octane jet fuel.

I crossed another plant with transkie and it came out Road Kill Skunk and smelled like cat piss the whole grow stunk up the house nasty. After a cure only the first puff was like that and then I never tasted nasty. My friends all loved it. We puffed that up all summer doing music festivals. I have a friend said "I took 2 puffs then cleaned the whole house" lol

Everything that touches turns to fire.

@Tennessee Tim spot on brother. We live where they routinely flew choppers overhead just above the tree line and also county sheriff had 6 dope sniffing dogs with special trucks made for driving around and sniffing for weed.

Then the state legalized for REC and no more choppers and no more dope sniffing dogs.

YAY us.

In the 1980's the feds funded hiring private aerial surveys using advanced cameras and filters to spot pot and flew grid patterns over counties photographing the entire counties, on a recurring basis year to year for several years, before the planes stopped regular surveys. Now they use them more sparingly over problem/suspect areas, but use of ground dogs, listening devices, thermal detection /IR. and looking for clues of indoor grows, such as heat dumping from grow tents in winter or at night. I have witnessed unmarked black suv's/police cars pointing IR and sound listening devices at homes and barns in the neighborhoods. They spy on families and privacy/laws be damned, despite if they are reasonably suspected of growing or not, to satisfy their perversions, then bust those they find anything on. They can hear your bedroom conversations inside your home from hundreds of feet away inside their vehicles with directional listening devices , no need for bugging your home or tapping phones. This is not just paranoia, it is facts. If you live in areas that do not allow growing except under possible licensed grows, you better be very cautious or move the grows to a lesser police state. I once listened to FBI recordings of a childhood friend and I in the office of his fathers car lot, who was arrested/convicted for distributing interstate theft and distributing fake $20 bills, while we discussed the centerfold in a playboy magazine. Their listening post was on nearby railroad tracks about 300 feet away behind a wooded slope between the two locations! That was in the late 1960's! They wanted us to know what they had and to see if we would or could tell them anything else. We could not and would not even if we had known anything, which we did not. Do not under estimate the tech or fervor of these Brown shirt thugs and perverts! I supported the arrest of my friends father, he was a low life crook, but they go after good people for their garden and medicinal herbs and spy on people for their perverted voyeur/listening pleasures. I know some good police, my dad was one, but many are perverts attracted to the profession to have power over others to satisfy their sadistic egos or just because it is the best paying jobs they can get with their lack of qualities/education/etc. and they are far from intelligent or diligent in their work and seek to prove themselves by spying and even framing spurious charges on innocent persons. Best wishes to all the herb/medicine gardeners that strive to be free men and grow God's plants he gifted us with, for our uses. Damn the control freaks and anti freedom Marxist/Nazi cops that abuse their neighbors freedoms/rights that the constitution tries to protect, despite compromised judges and officials. Where did they derive the power to outlaw God's herbal plants from our gardens? Not from the constitution. In recent years, the authorities have begun to release dangerous criminals early, cashless bail and etc. , despite that, they continue to surveil and arrest people for growing small crops of cannabis in their homes/gardens and ruin them financially and jail them, often taking their children into foster care or confiscating their savings or even their home. Dangerous criminals given unearned leniency but still persecuting cannabis users/home growers. At some point the ludicrous policies of the State to coddle thugs while persecuting people growing their own herbal medicines must be reversed!

Love your posts Tim. Love that you successfully grew pot when it was so risky to do so. Many do not realize the extent of pot growing in the southern states from sixties on. Just as good as California or west coast stuff and a fair amount of it too. I never had any, but will take the word of those that did.

I think Tennessee still has harsh laws regarding growing or even smoking pot now. Looked it up and it is still crap. Otherwise a fine state and if they change the laws I would consider moving there from California.

The laws in Tennessee are repressive and designed to make money for the state and law enforcement agencies. They also are somewhat of a bounty system. You bust people and get promotions, better equipment and recognition. It encourages corruption and entrapment. Unfortunately, they did such a good job of delivering propaganda to the people here through the control of the corrupt media over the last century, that people here still believe their lies about gateway drugs and that one puff of cannabis and your addicted and on your way to heroin addiction. People are amazed when they hear that I have used pot for 56 years and raised two families, working a job, paying taxes and staying out of jail, while going to church and loving Jesus. I tell them it is like most medicines, it can be abused but is effective for many, as medicine for their health issues, such as my RA and chronic pain. When I tell them that I put away my cane and went back to part time work and through away my Prescription meds seven years ago because cannabis reversed and treated the symptoms better than the RX's were doing, they are amazed. I also use other natural herbs and meds like mushrooms, ginger, turmeric, black pepper, red pepper, oregano, fruits, vitamins, minerals and kale. I use cannabis topically, orally and by smoke/vape for my RA. At the time I became crippled by RA , I was using very little cannabis, only occasionally with friends or family socially. There are some side effects, however. I get a bit stoned and happy or relaxed, my eyes look stoned and I am friendlier. Sometimes I have short term memory issues, but not worse than many my age that do not use cannabis. The RX's from the doctors had more severe side effects and were problematic for me. One bad side effect of the RX's was that I had to avoid sunshine! Using toxic chemicals for my disease did not make sense to me, especially after I discovered what moderately heavy cannabis treatments could do for my RA symptoms. Best wishes for all of you and be smart and consider your use of meds and cannabis and find the right dosage and treatments for you. Balance is different at different times and places. Seek balance and overall good results or reevaluate your uses as needed for positive results.

Good stuff you are doing Tim. You may want to try fasting as well. I try to eat only once a day or in a 4 hour 'window' of a day. Sometimes I will do 2 or 3 days of no food. I am overweight so no problem of starvation, hehe. My allergies always go away when I go a couple or 3 days of no food.

Here is a link for you to look at. Should You Try Intermittent Fasting if You Have an Autoimmune Disease? | Amy Myers MD Allergies are another autoimmune disease. Coffee without sugar or cream is ok during a fast, I also smoke cigars. Pot of course is ok, but you might have to deal with the munchies. hehe

Other links on this subject mention a 30 day fast for RA. I would be careful doing that but have no doubt it would work wonders. I have no plans for such stuff myself. I think 2 or even better, 3 days is enough to get lots of benefits with no downsides. Once or twice a month for that.

It might interest some to know the reason the feds focused so much money and time to stop growers in Tennessee in the late 1970's and early 1980's. It was because Tennessee was the largest domestic producer in the nation at that time! Many would be surprised at that. One must remember that our climate is favorable for many tropical strains and our rural people were used to seeking incomes and medicine at home, by making moonshine and gathering herbs from the forest. It was a natural thing. Many would be surprised how much of the pot they obtained in those days came from the state of Tennessee and our neighbors. I know that local pot was sold in California, New York and about all points in between by the thousands of truck loads back in those days. DEA agents were as thick as fleas on a hounds back here, in that time period. You could watch the aerial surveys in progress every few weeks, methodically flying the grids over our homes. Just about everybody that once made whiskey grew pot! Plus a lot more people that never made whiskey. It was dangerous to go hunting because you might step up on a guarded grow or into a booby trap! I found stills and grows as a boy and it could get scary! Many peoples bones are in caves/holes in the rocks and fed to the pigs over stumbling up on a still or grow of dangerous persons. The pot usually was sold as the strain name and people assumed it was from Mexico, Thailand or wherever it originated from, not from the next county over near home. It was best for the growers to have people think it came from somewhere else. I have seen fields of several acres of pot here in the late sixties and early seventies, myself. They also were trying to nip opium poppy grows in the bud and mushroom harvesters on the pastures that were becoming commercially scaled. They did it very successfully. Thousands were packed away to prison and lost their homes. Many thousands were scared out of growing pot due to the harsh and in humane treatment of citizens by the control freaks. I was one of those. I know that my weed was popular in California and New York as well as Memphis, Nashville, Jackson Ms., etc. I lost or gave up all my receipts trying to distance myself and raise a family , with no regrets! It was hard work and I had other hard work I could do to earn a living, without the danger or threat to my freedom or to my family. Growing was not as important as my family and I still could have a smoke without so much danger. Money was never my main motivation. I was growing my own, just like we did our food and if I could earn something for my time/work that was great too. It grew on me and I had to control myself and walk away from that work, as rewarding financially as it might be. In those days I smoked for pleasure and relaxation, these days it is medicine! I am open to hear others stories about the days of old and hear their opinions and adventures. The good old landrace strains were a staple for me then and I still favor them, though I love some of the powerful hybrids as well. I am grateful to the merchant marines that first provided me with Jamaican and Panamanian weed that they typically brough back as a boost to their income in their duffel bags 5 or 10 pounds at a time and sold for $5 to $80 per nickel bag or pound. That was good pot at a good price point. My first successful grow was a Jamaican landrace strain, from the few seeds I could scavenge out of a "lid" of pot. It was spectacular!

Good stuff you are doing Tim. You may want to try fasting as well. I try to eat only once a day or in a 4 hour 'window' of a day. Sometimes I will do 2 or 3 days of no food. I am overweight so no problem of starvation, hehe. My allergies always go away when I go a couple or 3 days of no food.

Here is a link for you to look at. Should You Try Intermittent Fasting if You Have an Autoimmune Disease? | Amy Myers MD Allergies are another autoimmune disease. Coffee without sugar or cream is ok during a fast, I also smoke cigars. Pot of course is ok, but you might have to deal with the munchies. hehe

Other links on this subject mention a 30 day fast for RA. I would be careful doing that but have no doubt it would work wonders. I have no plans for such stuff myself. I think 2 or even better, 3 days is enough to get lots of benefits with no downsides. Once or twice a month for that.
I agree with you! I sometimes fast a day or two or restrict my diet severely and get some relief. I have found that some of the foods I love are not friendly to my RA. The munchies keep me plump and the diet and cannabis keep me functioning. I feel sure that if I watched my diet more I could get even better results!

The one thing the southern states had was moist ground a lot of the growing season. Not sure of Tennessee but Kentucky and around there they would only water a couple times per grow or none. I assume Tennessee was the same as my brother always talks of how humid it was there.

I wanted to grow here in socal, but unless you planted by a stream or spring( always people around them, unless you hike DEEP into the wilderness) you are watering a lot thru the season. I tried to do a grow in the spring after a good rain, but it all dried up in the area I planted some time later, and there was no way to water it without getting busted. I did that in another area, but the bugs/animals got them.

Did not know Tennessee was so productive in selling pot. I assumed most was kept local and some going out of state for higher prices. Kentucky Bluegrass, Gainesville Green, Matanuska Thunder Fuck and some others gained fame during that time.

The guys that were able to grow lots of plants here, would hike deep into the forest or other wild place, then have pump irrigation from a stream to water the plants. More work than I was up to doing. Risk as well. In a place like Kentucky, you could just plant the clone or vegging plant, even just use seeds. Plant after a rain and walk away. Come back in October and see if there are buds to harvest. They would fertilize the hole for the plant, but sometimes did not and it worked out too, depending on the soil.

The one thing the southern states had was moist ground a lot of the growing season. Not sure of Tennessee but Kentucky and around there they would only water a couple times per grow or none. I assume Tennessee was the same as my brother always talks of how humid it was there.

I wanted to grow here in socal, but unless you planted by a stream or spring( always people around them, unless you hike DEEP into the wilderness) you are watering a lot thru the season. I tried to do a grow in the spring after a good rain, but it all dried up in the area I planted some time later, and there was no way to water it without getting busted. I did that in another area, but the bugs/animals got them.

Did not know Tennessee was so productive in selling pot. I assumed most was kept local and some going out of state for higher prices. Kentucky Bluegrass, Gainesville Green, Matanuska Thunder Fuck and some others gained fame during that time.

The guys that were able to grow lots of plants here, would hike deep into the forest or other wild place, then have pump irrigation from a stream to water the plants. More work than I was up to doing. Risk as well. In a place like Kentucky, you could just plant the clone or vegging plant, even just use seeds. Plant after a rain and walk away. Come back in October and see if there are buds to harvest. They would fertilize the hole for the plant, but sometimes did not and it worked out too, depending on the soil.

You are right again! I planted seeds in rich forest soil, never fertilized and watered once or twice at early stages of growth and nature took care of the rest. We usually harvest in September in west Tennessee. Summertime humidity averages about 60% and may be 90% without rain. Temperatures run up to over 100 F with that humidity and average over 90 in the summer months, most years. Rich black forest litter/soil is easy to find to amend the seed patch. I would come back and thin, possibly water the seedlings and later, again to thin out males . I had good grows without ever watering a single time, sometimes, on the larger efforts. Garden grown plants with careful attention, seldom did much better if the timing and weather was right for the forest grown patches. Of course, not all patches worked out every time. I looked for steep hillsides with southern exposures with gaps in the forest canopy and planted on terraces roughly formed up and secured with deadfall logs and stakes. It worked for me. I only occasionally took started seedlings and transplanted them. I planted seeds like most other crops. That was before the internet and we used traditional farming ideas and it worked well, usually. Bugs, animals and people sometimes got a patch, but we spread them out in several locations and let the odds work for us. Less trips to a hidden grow seemed safer and was our idea of protecting us and the possible harvest. I often harvested many pounds from a small patch that was visited only twice before harvest. Backpacking out the crop was more feasible with a number of small grows, requiring less trips per patch. We usually harvested only the buds and took them back for curing. The plants that got more care sometimes did a bit better but usually we did well with our method here, if the seeds got up and were healthy, they did fine with little or no care.

Back
Top Bottom