Landrace Genetics 101

That's good info, the fact is that you might get from fruity through floral to chemical expressions in flowering landraces. They have some really beautiful terpenes compositions but often with spicy/herbal/grassy tone that later takes over in curing while the others oxidize. The best tasting for me so far was Malawi Gold, very musky. But landrace sativas do not have great taste at least I haven't had any with top notch taste, now indicas like Afghani, Pakistani or Lebanon Red that's different thing :tokin:

Don't know the pheno, but it won't be more indica probably, might be just an effect of indoor growing.

Hey conradino....just getting over here. Good reading. Old time nostalgia for old shit like me.

BigSur....from north of you....Redwood Estates in Santa Cruz Mountains. Near Patchen. Fun days back in late 60's into early 70's.

1974 Thai Stick
IMG_110731.jpg
IMG_1103_2.jpg

Hey conradino....just getting over here. Good reading. Old time nostalgia for old shit like me.

BigSur....from north of you....Redwood Estates in Santa Cruz Mountains. Near Patchen. Fun days back in late 60's into early 70's.

1974 Thai Stick
IMG_110731.jpg
IMG_1103_2.jpg

Awesome! I was just talking thai stick here the other day lol. Thanks for the flashback!

The same is true with growing these things. indicas absolutely reek, whereas sativas generally do not. My ex's friends said my sativas all tasted like "Mexican". I said 'thank you,' even though they were giving me a slam. I go for the fresh crushed sinus zing myself. The good sativas will have a bright 'zing' to them. Maybe its just me, but the zing is hard to describe. Its more than floral scent, its something else in the buds that I am picking up on. :yummy:

That's good info, the fact is that you might get from fruity through floral to chemical expressions in flowering landraces. They have some really beautiful terpenes compositions but often with spicy/herbal/grassy tone that later takes over in curing while the others oxidize. The best tasting for me so far was Malawi Gold, very musky. But landrace sativas do not have great taste at least I haven't had any with top notch taste, now indicas like Afghani, Pakistani or Lebanon Red that's different thing :tokin:

The same is true with growing these things. indicas absolutely reek, whereas sativas generally do not. My ex's friends said my sativas all tasted like "Mexican". I said 'thank you,' even though they were giving me a slam. I go for the fresh crushed sinus zing myself. The good sativas will have a bright 'zing' to them. Maybe its just me, but the zing is hard to describe. Its more than floral scent, its something else in the buds that I am picking up on. :yummy:

Is it lime? :cheesygrinsmiley:

I've grown several Brazilians, including an IBL, that all have a prominent lime scent and taste. DrZiggy posted this description of Pondo Mystic that pretty closely describes it.

smells like fresh zingy citrus, more like sour lime than lemon and has a sharp, spicy zing on the flavour too combined with an earthy undertone. It emits a very focused and clear high."

That's a perfect description of Utopia Haze (Brazilian IBL). :blunt:

Love those Thai stick photos. They take me back. I later lived farther north in Los Gatos and La Honda. That was in the tech bubble days though, in the 90s. In the 70's I also hung out a lot in Santa Cruz at places like the Old Sash Mill and The Catalyst. I also had many friends in Scott's Valley, Felton, Willow Glen, Prunedale, San Juan Batista and Gilroy. We used to cruise Highway 9 a lot on Jap bike motorcycles and hang out at Alice's. Highway 9 was second only to Highway 1 in terms of motorcycle cruising fun.

I have a photo of a pile of Thai sticks that I took to Lake Tahoe in the summer of '79. I will post it if I can ever find it... I had a '67 Mustang then. Cost me $1,800. Wish I had that car now!

Is it lime? :cheesygrinsmiley:

LOL! No, not lime. But that is a good one. I save the limes for my Coronas, which I am still hooked on from living in Sandy Eggo. It is not a smell so much as a pungent zing to the fresh flowers. Bursting trichomes? A nasal THC meter? It is not the same as the indica stench, which I also love.

I've grown several Brazilians, including an IBL, that all have a prominent lime scent and taste. DrZiggy posted this description of Pondo Mystic that pretty closely describes it.

smells like fresh zingy citrus, more like sour lime than lemon and has a sharp, spicy zing on the flavour too combined with an earthy undertone. It emits a very focused and clear high."

That's a perfect description of Utopia Haze (Brazilian IBL). :blunt:

Man, I want some of that! Brazilian is one landrace that I have never seen here in the west. I do not know why, but Brazilian weed was never imported into California that I was aware of. We had gobs of Colombian, Panamanian, Thai, Afghan/Lebanon/Israel/Morocco hash, Cambodian, Mexican, African, Nepalese, Hawaiian, and some Indian ganja, Peruvian and Jamaican, and of course local 'homegrown', but never Brazilian. I have read that the original Brazilian landraces are very old, as old as the Chilean ones dating back to the 1500s, and they were grown pretty exclusively for the local markets. I have read that they are good, but never saw any for sale or smoked any, ever. Supposedly like in the Caribbean, the Brazilian seeds were sourced from Africa with the early slave trade days, though Portuguese shipping could have brought the hemp seeds to Brazil from anywhere around the world as early as the 16th century. 500 years ago!

Supposedly the later 1970s "landraces" in Brazil are from imported sativa landrace varieties, likely from the Caribbean, Central America and Colombia. The data and information is rather spotty though. I speak and read Spanish, but not Portuguese.

I was born and raised there. Gosh I miss abundant avocados :thumb:

Yuuuuummmmm... guacamole! I miss the winter there the most. And the beaches. And the babes. And the Mexican food. The ~REAL~ Mexican food. And the beer. And shark fishing at night. And the babes. And sailing on Mission Bay. And Cabrillo Point. And the ocean. And the glow-in-the-dark waves. And the oranges. And the Chargers. And Koby's swap meet. And all the babes.

I do not miss the traffic though. Or the insane cost of living. Or the smog. Or the water pollution. Or the searing heat in spring, summer and fall.

great thread! So nostalgic for me! I wish I contribute some photos of clear bags full of thai sticks but i didnt have a camera phone back in thos days! lol

I've just learned something as well, after not using weed for 15 years I've learned that what I call weed is know known as a "landrace"? Well very educational the internet is isn't it :D

Does anyone know which landrace strains might contain high CBD for cancer purposes?

thanks for putting all this info up for us olskool guys, joy to read

Lymp, you'd be better off with some stabilized CBD rich hybrid if you need a medicinal strain to battle cancer as landraces will be pretty much unpredictable, and you'll have to test your bud to make sure. Landrace sativas usually contain little to none CBD, indicas will carry more of it, but it depends.

thank you for the reply, I have got some cbd crew mango haze and cbd crew yummy sativas, I think this will be as close i can get with still high cbd, might have get some thai or other landrace strain with the odd seed in it, to take me back in time to good old day's :D

If you're looking for Thai check Double Thai by Ace.

its out of stock with all my suppliers, how about mama thai, greenhouse thai, wild thailand. realy looking for the choc thai stick that you posted the photo of with the red string with darker brown colour, all those look a bit too green?

Hey lymp. I see that Ace is out of all Thai seeds at the moment (gasps of horror). I grow the Mama Thai and am very happy with it. A nice clear active high, and very easy to grow for a sativa. I used to wander Thailand a lot in the 80s and 90s. Almost all the cured herb was brown colored. I never saw how they dried it, but I got the impression it was maybe piled up, or at least dried in humid conditions, so that it 'fermented' a little as it cured. I did see some live cannabis plants with fairly dark looking foliage, but most were regular green, and I figured the brown herb was a result of the drying/curing method. For that matter- most Thai (and other sativa) I got on the streets in the early 80s was also brown, FWIW.

great thread! So nostalgic for me! I wish I contribute some photos of clear bags full of thai sticks but i didnt have a camera phone back in thos days! lol

My paranoia back then extended to even taking pics fearing what the photo developer would see. Sometimes took slides figuring they're were a little safer. Miss the pot from then but not the worries of being a pothead grower in the days of landrace & paranoia.

Yah, the days when you had to get film developed. I dropped off a set of my GF naked on Olmstead Point in Yosemite once. They dis not say anything about them. I still have those photos someplace. :drool:

Paranoia, yah... runs deep. CSN.

My paranoia back then extended to even taking pics fearing what the photo developer would see. Sometimes took slides figuring they're were a little safer. Miss the pot from then but not the worries of being a pothead grower in the days of landrace & paranoia.

Back
Top Bottom