Landrace Genetics 101

That was my first thought. A picture of some Thai.Hmmm? .He must have had a friend with the skills to devolope the film..Mabey? Anyway risky stuff back then.I remember getting sticks around 1975 for $20 bucks a pop...Very pricey for the time.But we all agreed " you can't smoke money" haha... well worth it.I was making $575 bucks a month working in a Mental Institution.And smokin the best, haha. Quick question. Would seeds die in a vacuum?I was doing some canning and got to thinking,.... am I sterilizing these seeds? I vacuum pack qt. jars.... So can they live in a vacuum ? Thanks Red. You know those are the only pictures I have ever seen Of Thai weed,well other than high times ect..That would have been a easy way to get popped back then..

Yah, that is a curing process that results in partial fermentation of the leaves. Lowland Colombian is (or was) cured that way as well. It is called sweat cured pot. I call it composted pot. The colas/tops are cut when ripe and layered fresh in piles one to two feet high and in a square, anywhere from 3'x3' to 10'x10'. The pile has to be big enough to compost. Within a few hours the leaves begin to heat up from the microbial action the same way that a compost pile does, and the leaves ferment and turn brown. The green tops turn brown pretty quickly. The piles of tops in the compost piles are unpacked daily and checked, and the tops that have turned brown are removed and air dried. Within a week, all the tops will have turned brown. You have to make sure that the pile does not overheat and cook the colas. You also have to make sure that the tops do not rot or over-ferment in the process. You should cover them to keep the rain out as well, but the cover should be at least a few feet above the pile to prevent rotting.

A variation of the sweat process was done in Colombia when cut marijuana tops were bricked fresh. The bricked pot was stacked and cured, or loaded onto trucks and cured during transport. They were then air dried and wrapped in plastic. A simplified process for a slow sweat cure is to roll fresh marijuana in plastic bags. Each week, open the bag for about an hour to evaporate off some water. In about six weeks, the ammonia smell will dissipate somewhat, and the grass should be dried. The problem with this process is that there is not enough material to compost the pot rapidly. This cure supposedly works well with small quantities of mediocre grass, since it concentrates the material. I have never tried this though, as I usually process any low grade pot, male flowers and all the trim leaves into hash or hash oil. It is amazing how much excess leaves, stems and trim you get growing weed. It can be overwhelming, to the point that some years I have just piled it all up and burned it.

Hey lymp. I see that Ace is out of all Thai seeds at the moment (gasps of horror). I grow the Mama Thai and am very happy with it. A nice clear active high, and very easy to grow for a sativa. I used to wander Thailand a lot in the 80s and 90s. Almost all the cured herb was brown colored. I never saw how they dried it, but I got the impression it was maybe piled up, or at least dried in humid conditions, so that it 'fermented' a little as it cured. I did see some live cannabis plants with fairly dark looking foliage, but most were regular green, and I figured the brown herb was a result of the drying/curing method. For that matter- most Thai (and other sativa) I got on the streets in the early 80s was also brown, FWIW.

Hey lymp. I see that Ace is out of all Thai seeds at the moment (gasps of horror). I grow the Mama Thai and am very happy with it. A nice clear active high, and very easy to grow for a sativa. I used to wander Thailand a lot in the 80s and 90s. Almost all the cured herb was brown colored. I never saw how they dried it, but I got the impression it was maybe piled up, or at least dried in humid conditions, so that it 'fermented' a little as it cured. I did see some live cannabis plants with fairly dark looking foliage, but most were regular green, and I figured the brown herb was a result of the drying/curing method. For that matter- most Thai (and other sativa) I got on the streets in the early 80s was also brown, FWIW.

ah ok that would explain why only some imports were brown, I have also had more greener thai sticks and didnt notice much difference.

My paranoia back then extended to even taking pics fearing what the photo developer would see. Sometimes took slides figuring they're were a little safer. Miss the pot from then but not the worries of being a pothead grower in the days of landrace & paranoia.

Yah, the days when you had to get film developed. I dropped off a set of my GF naked on Olmstead Point in Yosemite once. They dis not say anything about them. I still have those photos someplace. :drool:

Paranoia, yah... runs deep. CSN.

yeah I guess that was why poloroids were popular and also expensive

Yah, that is a curing process that results in partial fermentation of the leaves. Lowland Colombian is (or was) cured that way as well. It is called sweat cured pot. I call it composted pot. The colas/tops are cut when ripe and layered fresh in piles one to two feet high and in a square, anywhere from 3'x3' to 10'x10'. The pile has to be big enough to compost. Within a few hours the leaves begin to heat up from the microbial action the same way that a compost pile does, and the leaves ferment and turn brown. The green tops turn brown pretty quickly. The piles of tops in the compost piles are unpacked daily and checked, and the tops that have turned brown are removed and air dried. Within a week, all the tops will have turned brown. You have to make sure that the pile does not overheat and cook the colas. You also have to make sure that the tops do not rot or over-ferment in the process. You should cover them to keep the rain out as well, but the cover should be at least a few feet above the pile to prevent rotting.

A variation of the sweat process was done in Colombia when cut marijuana tops were bricked fresh. The bricked pot was stacked and cured, or loaded onto trucks and cured during transport. They were then air dried and wrapped in plastic. A simplified process for a slow sweat cure is to roll fresh marijuana in plastic bags. Each week, open the bag for about an hour to evaporate off some water. In about six weeks, the ammonia smell will dissipate somewhat, and the grass should be dried. The problem with this process is that there is not enough material to compost the pot rapidly. This cure supposedly works well with small quantities of mediocre grass, since it concentrates the material. I have never tried this though, as I usually process any low grade pot, male flowers and all the trim leaves into hash or hash oil. It is amazing how much excess leaves, stems and trim you get growing weed. It can be overwhelming, to the point that some years I have just piled it all up and burned it.

Interesting, this thread has a wealth of knowledge

Interesting, this thread has a wealth of knowledge

Yah, we 'Landrace' types know a lot about the weed of olden days. I recall mostly green Thai sticks myself. The skinny ones. Supposedly the later brown fat ones were processed similar to the sweat/compost method, and then dipped in hash oil and dried to finish them off. Those later brown sticks certainly finished me off. :phew:

The one and only time I scored Thai Stick, they were the skinny gold ones. :love: That would have been in the fall of 1976.

And I wasn't even alive :cheesygrinsmiley:

Great information on strain - thanks for the history review -- also Ace seeds as mentioned has some great genetics same goes for Holy Smokes seeds Just reading this post brings back memories of being in Thailand, Vietnam, Hong Kong, Panama, ect wish strains like that still were around ---Thanks !

I too remember the price back in the mid seventies to be $20, They had been a little cheaper $10- $15 each about 1971 or 72. All that I saw were more gold in color through out that time. They all were very good smoke! I too, have never seen vintage photos of them, and never saw anything but Kodak Polaroid photos of any pot back then! Some of you young guys probably don't even know what Polaroid photos are! I never dreamed of taking photos of pot back then, lest they be seen/found by the wrong person! It is still very dangerous in my part of the country!

Wow, I have not felt young in some time. You were smoking thai stick when I was born.

Heh heh heh... I was smoking Mexican and Thai in 1975. I bought my first pound of Guerreran weed then. Loose tops, crazy strong, great high. I sold out in a week. Then of course there was the really good hashish floating around then as well. :grinjoint:

Awesome. I'm kicking my self for not getting ACE thai sticks when I ordered last.

I'm old enough to have used Polaroids a little because my parents had one. Plus I was into photography for a while.

Speaking of Polaroids of pot, I remember seeing a Polaroid of me as a little tyke, sitting on the couch playing with Hotwheels. On the end table next to the couch was one of my Dad's plants, about 3 1/2ft tall as I recall. No idea what it was, but Polaroids of pot brought that memory back. No wonder I'm so drawn to cannabis. It's a childhood/feels like home thing :kiss:

You know what's funny.I moved from Seatac to Buckley in 1975.Being a city kid I thought I would have the best conections,HA !! Well soon I am running around with Lumberjacks.I just figured they would be a bunch of drunk hicks...Judge not..Haha They had the Thai sticks and the best Colombian Iv'e ever smoked ...One told me"What ,You think Rainier beer brought those trees down?" During the gas crunch they drove newer Cadillac and Lincoln Continentals for there crummys haha. You could walk by the store and see one. I look in the back white leather seat and there's the chainsaws and cork boots...Great Guys, hard smokers and worked just as hard..Back to Thai.I bought some "Thai Fantasy" seeds and they were not thai that I remember.. ..I think thats the were the "fantasy" part comes in..:cheesygrinsmiley: ??Fun thinking about the old days ...We blazed a wide path for you youngsters haha Red

Some of the African strains that ACE carries, I don't know if they were around in the 70's or anytime since recently..
their strains:
Zamaldelica
Golden Tiger
Malawi
many others.. members here are growing many strains from Africa/Asia. :)

I have some African seeds from 1983. I grew some of those in '84. Strong stuff! Heavily narcotic indica. I have no idea where in Africa they came from though. Back then it was just "African". I only have about 5 seeds left of that. I also have some later generation bred heirloom African seeds from Pacific Valley (just south of Big Sur) that I got in 1990. Also strong stuff, mostly indica from what I can tell, but not as narcotic. I have maybe a dozen of those seeds left.

One told me"What ,You think Rainier beer brought those trees down?" During the gas crunch they drove newer Cadillac and Lincoln Continentals for there crummys haha.

ROTFL! A classic PNW lumber jack saying. I used to commercial fish with guys like that out of Reedsport (actually Winchester Bay). They were loggers most of the year and they salmon fished in summer. BTW: for those of you wondering what a crummy is, that is the vehicle used to get to logging sites and back on logging roads. Usually it is (and was) a double cab pickup truck, and sometimes a dualie, but in the days of the gas crunch, big crappy gas mileage cars (land yachts) were cheap and they were heavy. Heavy is good in getting through the muck and crud on logging roads, and they had huge V-8 engines in them. They were also roomy. My dad collected and composted Caddys and Lincolns on his woodland property in northern Oregon. I think he had 6 of them that we hauled off his property after he passed away. 2 were completely submerged in Doug fir litter.

Oh yah, I spent some time in the woods myself. I still have a nice Shihl chainsaw collection, and I am a small woodlands owner. I burn firewood for heat here, so I stay busy with the saws. Corks are pronounced "calks" as well. At least they are around here. They are studded heavy high lace boots for walking on logs and in the brush with.

I'm a lumber jack and i'm ok haha..Well was a lumberjack...I still burn wood too, though now its 2x4's 2x6's..Its cheap,delievered and stacks great.haha..Anyway I remember a strong pot called ..I can only guess how to spell it but here goes."Mesh ma con" ,Thats how it sounds.The older guys in the neighborhood had some and it really was one to remember.. Anyone ever hear of it ? Around 1970

I'm a lumber jack and i'm ok haha..Well was a lumberjack...I still burn wood too, though now its 2x4's 2x6's..Its cheap,delievered and stacks great.haha..Anyway I remember a strong pot called ..I can only guess how to spell it but here goes."Mesh ma con" ,Thats how it sounds.The older guys in the neighborhood had some and it really was one to remember.. Anyone ever hear of it ? Around 1970

That would be Michoacán (pronounced Mitch oha con) which is a state on the coast in south Mexico, between Guerrero and Jalisco. Good stuff from there, very similar to Oaxacan and Guerreran. My favorite was the Guerreran in the mid 70s.

I started bonging my CPR

038175.jpg

And I have to say this bud becomes a ferocious sativa that makes you trippin' almost. You kind of lose the sense of where you are for half an hour or so :hippy: :lot-o-toke:

Back
Top Bottom