Landrace Genetics 101

I have the aforementioned ones from Ko Kut (an island off south east Thailand),

I have another from Nong Khai right on the Nahm border and the chocolate that am told is from Nan but I cannot verify that.

That area in the southeast below Cambodia- from Koh Chang on down to the east, was generally a good place to get good smoke, and had a relaxed culture around it . Koh Kut not so much but part of that revolved around some friendly drunk corrupt cops we ended up not being able to avoid at a bar who insisted on ‘getting to know us’ in a big way -and after a few days of that we went to hang out at Koh Lipe instead because it was all too much.

Nong Khai also not so much -in the sense that it was a more uptight vibe in the northeast. Nong Khai doesn’t border Vietnam. Neither does any other part of Thailand for that matter- so I’m not sure what he meant by that.
But the Laotian border was another one of those weird dark zones you didn’t really feel like hanging around near for long. The whole northeast was used as a staging area for the American war machine in the 70s and had a desolate raped feel to it when I was there in the 80s.
That area in the north east is where a lot of the Thai Stick, and Thai exports in general, used to be produced. I think Nong Khai area is where Ace’s Thai Stick strain came from as well, for what it’s worth.
Reminiscences aside- I get/got/continue to get the point about a 12 week Thai strain being unlikely.

Skunk#1 is not an indica, it's a sativa-leaning hybrid. Or

I just call those indicas.

Nan & nahm isn't Vietnam, would be my guess... Maybe towns? Idk..
Edit; simple mistake?...

Nan is a province yes. Also in Thailand the capital of each province bears the name of the province so Nan is a town as well. Kind of middle of nowhereland. Nong Khai is on the border with Laos. Never heard of Nahm and from the way he said it I assume he meant Vietnam, but... we drift deep into irrelevant waters.

:passitleft:

My Malawis from Ace take 14 weeks. But I did read Tangwena on Sue’s cobbing thread say that he found the Ace Malawi to be nothing like the Malawi he knows. And he is from there so should know I suppose. Still, I really like Ace Malawi, whatever it is.
Maybe it’s crossed with skunk#1...

14 isn't too bad but yeah if Tangwena is from that area and says it's not like it? It's most likely tainted with skunk or some other indica. Sounds great from what i've seen on Sweetsue's thread but yeah i'm after those true landraces with little to no outside influence. It's an exciting start to the journey of finding true landraces and how to acquire them if travel isn't an option :thumb:

Do you have the room? odds of finding something worth looking for... Tangwena talks up seeds of Africa Malawi, didn't you say you had some? It's 16 weeks...

@Morglie i don't know if they have stopped but herbies still stocks their stuff and their website is still active so i just assumed that SoA isn't closed for business. I've got Tropical Seed co in my bookmark list. Haven't had that much of a look but they seem legit. Green apple does sound mighty tasty :)

@Pennywise Snowhigh seeds is fucking expensive. I don't think i can justify those prices ever, even for myself haha

@GrizzWald Do you mean do i have the space to grow such things? Not at the moment no but i'm planning big things for the future :) Oh does he/she? hmmm maybe SoA isn't as useless as i thought. Herbies says 60-90 days for the SoA malawi gold, unless on another site it says different? I had SoA malawi/swazi gold, as i was growing them my landlord got all suss on the tents so me and my partner decided to scrap the whole lot just in case. Didn't want to get caught

I don't doubt Ace's legit status. Just a bit too pricy for me to justify at the moment without pissing my partner off lol

If you clone a seed for several generations, the seed cost per grow goes way down:)

I harvested my first Ace Guawi (Guatemalan x Malawi) at 13 weeks (93 days) under 11/13 with clear but aging trichomes. I harvest early compared to many people. Her daughter was tossed out after 12 weeks in flower (she was abused and stunted as a child.) Her grandaughter is currently 5 weeks in the flower area. She went in at 28" high and 5 weeks later is 70" high and still stretching. I expect another 2 weeks of stretch.

Ace, like other seed vendors, tends to understate flowering times. Delicatessen Lilly is listed by Ace as a 7-8 week strain and I have harvested in 8-11 weeks.

SoA are legit. My Malawi was great. Other people say the same. They get their seeds from places of origin.

If you clone a seed for several generations, the seed cost per grow goes way down:)

How much is a lid (ounce) of good bud these days? Or even a quarter-ounce?

And how much does a cannabis seed cost, again? Lol.

Would four seeds be worth an ounce? Or one seed a quarter (that's ~$100 around here, I'm told)?

If you buy a 10-pack of seeds, only seven of them are females, you plant them in POP BOTTLES and run them as a densely-planted SOG and, therefore, only average 9.5 grams per plant... That's still 66.5 grams. Two ounces, one quarter-ounce, and change.

Sure, lights/nutrients/etc. cost money, electricity and water costs money, and one's labor has to be worth a little bit, too. Then again, most folks average north of 9.5 grams/plant.

I harvested my first Ace Guawi (Guatemalan x Malawi) at 13 weeks (93 days) under 11/13 with clear but aging trichomes.

Got time to do a quick production/consumption report on that?

I just call those indicas.

Well, me too, largely. But this is incorrect in the technical sense.

My guess is that a "proper skunk" strain would have 35% to 45% indica genetics in its makeup. But that's only a guess.

Calling it an indica would be roughly comparable to someone calling an Afghani indica that had some percentage of a sativa in it's parental history... a sativa.

Still, I really like Ace Malawi, whatever it is.
Maybe it’s crossed with skunk#1...

I had been assuming that crossing everything with Skunk#1 was a "Netherlands thing," but that is certainly possible.

I suppose you could ask them. Some breeders (and/or sellers) don't publish specifics, but will be more forthcoming via email.

Because the whole Spanish seed is so legitimate and removed from f2+ lmfao+

Wow that's very sad to hear. How old is he? I've been eyeing his stuff. Blueberry Blast, Panty Dropper and something else. They all sounded pretty cool :)

I grabbed a pack of the panty dropper and a few others after I started with the Devils Tit. ALL those plants were off the charts vigorous. Even the cuts and the mothers .... I have a hard time killing them, I've done everything we shouldn't do to plants to cuts and mothers. They just take it and keep going. Completely different than most of the genetics we see these days.

Because the whole Spanish seed is so legitimate and removed from f2+ lmfao+

Well, no, not precisely, lol. Mainly because all the breeders in the Netherlands looked (and still look, some of them) at that douche David Watson like he was a prince come among regular men, and his skunk#1 (etc.) like it was the nectar of the gods. Those same folks ought to be just as thankful to the US DEA for helping him get permitted when he went there, and to the poor Haze "brothers" for unwittingly serving as cannon fodder. But I digress. I really meant that I had assumed crossing so many good strains with that one with the stated intention of "improving it" was just a Dutch thing - like being tall and ever so slightly condescending ;) .

I suppose anyone can do it.

Back
Top Bottom