Landrace Genetics 101

F*cking-A right, lol. If I'm looking for "stupor," there are LOTS of means to achieve that goal. But if I want to soar above the clouds, not so much, and practically none if I don't feel like spending $2,000+/week ;) . (Other than with a good sativa, I mean.)

it’d be mostly indica market, cause people are too stressed and preoccupied with where all this is going, so they wanna forget about it and switch off their brains. Nobody wants to ride it out by getting blasted into hyperspace with psychedelic sativa :)

Clinical depression, here. Pour me into an indica puddle on the couch... and there's not much difference, could just be me "sober" on a rough day. Know and have known people suffering from schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. Many of whom self-medicate with... (see comment, above, about "$2,000+/week") because it can help the person feel "normal" (or, alternatively, to fake it).

We have a pretty decent growing season here - for tomatoes. But cannabis strains that are ready to harvest in mid-November (or later)? LMAO. I think half the reason that sativas got a bad reputation with a lot of locals in my area is because whenever someone tried to grow one outdoors "back in the day," they'd end up with weak, short-effect, really skimpy immature bud. Fawk, I don't want to smoke that stuff, either. Then, later, when people started growing indoors, well... a 400-watt metal halide in a bedroom isn't going to be much better :rolleyes: .

I'm older now, and not in the best of shape. I should be growing indica for pain relief and such. It'll allow me to endure. But a good sativa will enable me to want to.

So there's call for both ends of the cannabis spectrum, IMHO.

I'm just rambling... ;)

I just smoked my leftover King Tut, which is basically AK-47 in the very haze and this is like old school sativa, but with upped potency, great daytime smoke.

I keep meaning to try to get some of those seeds. Pyramid Seeds strain?

Green Mountain Grape Oaxacan Gold purple line X Nepali Highland Sativa X Proprietary Heirloom mostly Sativa.
two land races crossed to an heirloom.
Look for Fall Release through ACE seeds

Officially volunteering for tester duty, SIR! <snaps of rather ragged salute>

;)

Most everyone in the USA is familiar with the Cavendish banana. Maybe not by name, but by experience, because it's what gets sold/consumed. If I remember (reading) correctly, the Gros Michel was once highly popular, but a fungus all but wiped it out. Commercial growers switched to the Cavendish, as it wasn't affected. Fast-forward through the years... and the Cavendish is in danger.

Whenever you have ONE strain/variety/cultivar of a thing, you are very much vulnerable to anything which attacks that specific strain. This is common sense, yeah? Okay, so we have 2,500+ different strains of cannabis, so why am I bringing this up, lol? Well, if 300 of them are "skunk" strains, 750 are "kush" strains, 229 of them are... A fungus or other nasty that affects some portion of the whole can be bad, both because it could devastate, say, the "skunks." And things mutate over time (Evolution 101). Seems to me this gets facilitated if/when there are so many crosses which contain a portion of the affected genetics; it might provide an easier path, so to speak. And with worldwide access to most of the commercially available strains, easier still. Geography stops becoming a barrier, and with genetic mixing, one loses that barrier as well.

Good for the negative in us, on the look out for survival.. silly in reality though, worrying for worry sake.

PINEAPPLE BANANA BUD
Hawaiian Sativa being knocked up with Mulanje Gold.
getting ready this Fall to restock ACE
As a breeder I wanted to make available images of what goes into my offered strains. I feel this is a unique approach to showing people a good window into what they would be getting.

HAWAIIAN SATIVA BREED AND GMG UPDATE 035.JPG
HAWAIIAN SATIVA BREED AND GMG UPDATE 042.JPG
HAWAIIAN SATIVA BREED AND GMG UPDATE 052.JPG
HAWAIIAN SATIVA BREED AND GMG UPDATE 039.JPG
so all about it. been meaning to rock your gear and want a long term old school sativa, ill be waiting

This might help you ..

Criteria Shantibaba uses for SELECTING MALE PLANTS
1. Resin Production and Potency – the quickness, the amount and where it is being produced will all be factors. An eye glass will be the most accurate means to view this trait.
2. Aroma – if there is a distinct aroma or something interesting to the nose.
3. Quickness to flower and release of pollen maturation and speed to reach pollen dispersal.
4. Internode spacing – based on the Fibonacci ratio of 1:1.6, this ratio is used in many applications, one of which is a rating of beauty and another in stability and consistency of some genetic factors in a plants makeup.
5. Leaf structure and Stature – whether it is more leaning to sativa or indica and how the plant grows in visible structure.
6. Resistance to hermaphrodism – no visible signs that the male flower has any naturally occurring female pistilates combined within the male flower.
7. Vigor and fitness – visible factors that show the plant to behave in a healthy normal growth pattern.
8. Depth of coloration – of the plant from lime green to deep dark green (ornamental trait)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Taken from the MNS article on hobby breeding by Shanti...

The importance of selecting plants for the traits that are useful to the breeder/grower is the main reason genetics have evolved as they have. Male plants of this species need to be carefully selected to avoid a lot of laborious work, which means one will need to do a lot of testing of F1 seed made from a particular male to verify if the sex linked traits are real or not. Males that auto flower irrespective of daylight hours are normally eliminated to insure against hermaphroditism or unwanted male traits. Males that flower too quickly or too tall are also not the best for breeding since they put too much energy into fiber production which is not the trait one is looking for in a medicinal plant. Males that have large hollow main stems are sought out rather than males that are more pith-filled stems - the main reason are that large hollow stemmed males are better THC producers than other plants. Males that produce tight floral clusters rather than airy sparse floral clusters are usually better to breed with. Finally if you rub your fingers against the stem of a developing male and are able to get strong odors or aromas (terpines) you will be advised to use these males as trichrome production and flavor are directly related to plants that produce odors early on. There are several other traits to look for in a male but these are rather advanced and need microscope help which is not really relevant for the hobby grower/breeder.

Back
Top Bottom