Leaf darkening mystery I can't figure out

plan500

Someone should be able to recognize this, and it happens on a repetitive base, with different strains.

Screenshot 2023-07-04 001234.png

Right around week 4-5, there is a sudden darkening of the canopy that happens literally overnight. One day they are all light green and lime and the next they get dark and remain that way until then end. Results are fine, but I think this is not normal and there should be a way to keep them light green until the end.

Nitrogen is the main focus of my experiments, I have reduced it a lot, especially after I flip them, I have attempted to reduce it further even getting yellowing in lower leaves, however I can never seem to save them from darkening eventually. Sometimes beginning of week 6.

My main question is, could this effect be anything else than excess nitrogen? Does something else cause this darkening?
Also, is this perhaps normal? I know it is not strain related as I have tried various.

I do see some clawing and the smaller plants and those with weaker genetics definitely show nitrogen excess symptoms, at least that's my read.

This has been happening my 5-6 grows as this is a repetitive production cycle. All other factors the same, reducing Nitrogen has not shown great improvement. The following pair images are taken 1 to 2 days apart and see the difference.

Plants are visibly happy at all times, but something is off.

Screenshot 2023-07-04 001415.png

Screenshot 2023-07-05 233552.png

I will provide some more information that will hopefully help you identify the problem.

This is a SOG, no training grow, 4 weeks growing and 9 weeks flowering. I use organic base nutrients from Plagron.

Soil is Plagron Lightmix. Peat based with a little starting mineral food.

Alga Grow NPK (4-2-4) in growing stage (3-4 weeks).
Plagron Alga Bloom NPK (3-2-5) + Green sensation NPK (0-9-10) + a little P/K booster (0-13-14) (mineral)

Also in flowering I brew compost teas with almost every watering. There is some extra nitrogen in the tea which amounts to additional 30-50ppm but I have tried to cut on the tea until week 5 and it didn't help with the darkening problem.

Calmag is from General Hydroponics, I believe it was 1 or 0 nitrogen in the NPK. Intentionally I found the one with least nitrogen.

I also added PK with the idea to further reduce the base nutrient that seems to have a lot of nitrogen.

Overall I feed a lot under what is suggested by Plagron calculator.

1691701564448.png

* some theories I work on include:

- high temps of 30-31 degrees (84-87F) might cause excessive evaporation and water uptake, that might forcibly make the plants to update excessive amounts of Nitrogen. I've read that this temperature range is fine and recommended for LED, and I keep VPD in range. What do you think?
Although temps in weeks 1-5 are more around 28-29 degrees. (82-84 F)

- I notice that my C02 tends to accumulate at night above 2000ppm. Could this be a problem?

- Low light intensity (Plants are unable to use all nitrogen)

Here is also my environment parameters.

1691702491153.png

Some more images from around week 5-6. Strain is Cookies Gelato from Royal Queen seeds. This particular grow turned out fine, but I've had much worst in the past.

20230701_160810.jpg

20230701_160815.jpg

20230701_185646.jpg

Honestly your plants look healthy and strong. In the lime green images they look really hungry, then proceed to look well fed in the darker color images.

Is there a particular reason you don’t want them looking darker? These images don’t look like N excess.. N excess is typically darker than this and has a waxy, shiny appearance.

The strains you’re growing.. are they all hybrids? Pure sativas tend to be closer to lime but it’s pretty rare to find a pure sativa. If it’s not too much trouble, can you tell us what strains you’ve grown that are giving you headaches?

It's fascinating to see the detailed observations you've made during your grows and the effort you've put into troubleshooting the issue. The sudden darkening of the canopy around week 4-5 is indeed an interesting phenomenon, and your theories regarding excess nitrogen, temperature, CO2 levels, and light intensity are well thought out.

Considering the information you've shared, it's possible that a combination of factors might be contributing to the darkening of the canopy. While nitrogen excess could play a role, the interaction of environmental conditions, nutrient availability, and plant genetics can be complex.

Your theory about high temperatures causing excessive water uptake and nitrogen update is intriguing. It's true that higher temperatures can lead to increased transpiration rates, potentially affecting nutrient uptake. Monitoring temperature and humidity closely, especially during critical growth stages, could provide insights into this aspect.

The accumulation of CO2 at night might have an impact, although the concentration you mentioned (2000ppm) is not extremely high and shouldn't be a major concern. However, monitoring CO2 levels throughout the entire day-night cycle could help rule out its influence.

The notion of low light intensity affecting nitrogen utilization is valid. Ensuring optimal light levels for your plants is crucial for efficient nutrient uptake and overall growth. Adequate lighting during all growth stages could potentially help maintain the desired light green color.

Since you've tried adjusting nitrogen levels and nutrient input without significant improvement, it might be beneficial to delve deeper into other potential factors, such as micronutrient imbalances or pH fluctuations, which can impact nutrient availability and uptake.

Your dedication to experimenting and finding solutions is commendable. Each plant's response to its environment can be unique, and your consistent efforts to improve your grows are essential for honing your skills and achieving the best results. Keep documenting your observations and adjustments, as this process of continuous learning is what ultimately leads to mastery in cultivation. Your fellow growers will surely appreciate your insights and experiences shared in this post.

Vorici, a fictional character or concept not within my pre-September 2021 knowledge, lacks specific information. To provide accurate details, kindly offer context or consider exploring other topics. I'm here to help with a wide range of subjects within my training data.

Your account and your response are both incredibly suspicious.

I have reported your existence to the admins. You either need to break character and explain, or you should be banned. You’re not welcome here if you aren’t human. Train on your own data, not ours.

If you are human, stop pumping our posts into chat bots. These generic answers that don’t actually answer anything aren’t worth freely feeding peoples hard work to some random engineers, just so a robot can stroke our ego without ever contributing anything of actual value.

Your account and your response are both incredibly suspicious.

I have reported your existence to the admins. You either need to break character and explain, or you should be banned. You’re not welcome here if you aren’t human. Train on your own data, not ours.

If you are human, stop pumping our posts into chat bots. These generic answers that don’t actually answer anything aren’t worth freely feeding peoples hard work to some random engineers, just so a robot can stroke our ego without ever contributing anything of actual value.
Hey Keffka, how's it going
I'm involved with a few blogs, including my personal - I see a lot of this sort of thing
I tried a simple CAPTCHA for new users written in JS so it can't be read by bots
But the bots got smart and learned to tick the simple 'I'm not a robot' box, so now I have a password box and tell new users to enter 'carrot' in the box - bots can't follow instructions

I'm involved with a few blogs, including my personal - I see a lot of this sort of thing
I tried a simple CAPTCHA for new users written in JS so it can't be read by bots
But the bots got smart and learned to tick the simple 'I'm not a robot' box, so now I have a password box and tell new users to enter 'carrot' in the box - bots can't follow instructions

more and more AI bots are being launched by jerks who register them with human help. it becomes near impossible to keep them off the platform that way. on another forum the majority of new accounts now get barred due to this activity, the percentage of new fake accounts is larger than actual people joining.

Someone should be able to recognize this, and it happens on a repetitive base, with different strains.

Screenshot 2023-07-04 001234.png

Right around week 4-5, there is a sudden darkening of the canopy that happens literally overnight. One day they are all light green and lime and the next they get dark and remain that way until then end. Results are fine, but I think this is not normal and there should be a way to keep them light green until the end.

Nitrogen is the main focus of my experiments, I have reduced it a lot, especially after I flip them, I have attempted to reduce it further even getting yellowing in lower leaves, however I can never seem to save them from darkening eventually. Sometimes beginning of week 6.

My main question is, could this effect be anything else than excess nitrogen? Does something else cause this darkening?
Also, is this perhaps normal? I know it is not strain related as I have tried various.

I do see some clawing and the smaller plants and those with weaker genetics definitely show nitrogen excess symptoms, at least that's my read.

This has been happening my 5-6 grows as this is a repetitive production cycle. All other factors the same, reducing Nitrogen has not shown great improvement. The following pair images are taken 1 to 2 days apart and see the difference.

Plants are visibly happy at all times, but something is off.

Screenshot 2023-07-04 001415.png

Screenshot 2023-07-05 233552.png

I will provide some more information that will hopefully help you identify the problem.

This is a SOG, no training grow, 4 weeks growing and 9 weeks flowering. I use organic base nutrients from Plagron.

Soil is Plagron Lightmix. Peat based with a little starting mineral food.

Plagron Alga Bloom NPK (3-2-5) + Green sensation NPK (0-9-10) + a little P/K booster (0-13-14) (mineral)

Also in flowering I brew compost teas with almost every watering. There is some extra nitrogen in the tea which amounts to additional 30-50ppm but I have tried to cut on the tea until week 5 and it didn't help with the darkening problem.

Calmag is from General Hydroponics, I believe it was 1 or 0 nitrogen in the NPK. Intentionally I found the one with least nitrogen.

I also added PK with the idea to further reduce the base nutrient that seems to have a lot of nitrogen.

Overall I feed a lot under what is suggested by Plagron calculator.

1691701564448.png

* some theories I work on include:

- high temps of 30-31 degrees (84-87F) might cause excessive evaporation and water uptake, that might forcibly make the plants to update excessive amounts of Nitrogen. I've read that this temperature range is fine and recommended for LED, and I keep VPD in range. What do you think?
Although temps in weeks 1-5 are more around 28-29 degrees. (82-84 F)

- I notice that my C02 tends to accumulate at night above 2000ppm. Could this be a problem?

- Low light intensity (Plants are unable to use all nitrogen)

Here is also my environment parameters.

1691702491153.png

Some more images from around week 5-6. Strain is Cookies Gelato from Royal Queen seeds. This particular grow turned out fine, but I've had much worst in the past.

20230701_160810.jpg

20230701_160815.jpg

20230701_185646.jpg
What size pots are you using? Maybe they are a little root bound? Happened to me with using a smaller plastic pot. CL🍀

I agree with @Keffka that the 'lime green' pics just look hungry, and that the 'darkened' plants look lovely and healthy to me. My theory is that perhaps you are feeding a bit too lightly in veg giving that light lime green color, and then when the plant goes into flowering mode it greens up considerably as the nitrogen is no longer being used up to make leaves.

It’s frustrating and makes those of us who have no regard for laws all look like thieves. While I have no respect for law or authority, I still have a code if you will, of things I find acceptable or unacceptable. The majority of it is basically treat other regular people like you and I, exactly how I would want my family to be treated. This includes not stealing others hard work, and especially includes not trying to pass it off as my own. (this means regular people.. governments, billionaires, and corporations are open targets since they’ve already stolen from us) All of these bots feel like thieves to me.. It’s almost impossible for every one of us to be able to consent to them being allowed to use our data.

I feel for you and everyone else that has to deal with crap like this when you’re just trying to help others out. It’s like volunteering then getting robbed while volunteering.

more and more AI bots are being launched by jerks who register them with human help. it becomes near impossible to keep them off the platform that way. on another forum the majority of new accounts now get barred due to this activity, the percentage of new fake accounts is larger than actual people joining.

The internet had so much promise before the Normies invaded. Stuff like this would’ve been handled quickly once upon a time by the entire internet. Nowadays, there’s literally mountains of valuable data ripe for the picking. It’s almost impossible to fight back, because even if we cut their path off, there’s a hundred million aunts and uncles on Facebook just dying to give bots their photos and information in exchange for a few extra tokens on their favorite gambling game or to see what they used to look like smh.

Once upon a time I thought I would never give up on the internet.. Now.. I only check this site.. I don’t even like to appear online when I’m playing Diablo 😂

I agree with @Keffka that the 'lime green' pics just look hungry, and that the 'darkened' plants look lovely and healthy to me. My theory is that perhaps you are feeding a bit too lightly in veg giving that light lime green color, and then when the plant goes into flowering mode it greens up considerably as the nitrogen is no longer being used up to make leaves.

I agree with your theory.. The only standout in OPs post was that this happens right around flipping to flower. The plants honestly look great in the darker images.. I see a few calcium spots here and there but that wouldn’t cause darkening and wasn’t so rampant I had any concern about it.

It’s frustrating and makes those of us who have no regard for laws all look like thieves. While I have no respect for law or authority, I still have a code if you will, of things I find acceptable or unacceptable. The majority of it is basically treat other regular people like you and I, exactly how I would want my family to be treated. This includes not stealing others hard work, and especially includes not trying to pass it off as my own. (this means regular people.. governments, billionaires, and corporations are open targets since they’ve already stolen from us) All of these bots feel like thieves to me.. It’s almost impossible for every one of us to be able to consent to them being allowed to use our data.

I feel for you and everyone else that has to deal with crap like this when you’re just trying to help others out. It’s like volunteering then getting robbed while volunteering.

The internet had so much promise before the Normies invaded. Stuff like this would’ve been handled quickly once upon a time by the entire internet. Nowadays, there’s literally mountains of valuable data ripe for the picking. It’s almost impossible to fight back, because even if we cut their path off, there’s a hundred million aunts and uncles on Facebook just dying to give bots their photos and information in exchange for a few extra tokens on their favorite gambling game or to see what they used to look like smh.

Once upon a time I thought I would never give up on the internet.. Now.. I only check this site.. I don’t even like to appear online when I’m playing Diablo 😂

I agree with your theory.. The only standout in OPs post was that this happens right around flipping to flower. The plants honestly look great in the darker images.. I see a few calcium spots here and there but that wouldn’t cause darkening and wasn’t so rampant I had any concern about it.
How did you know that was AI and not a real person? This is troubling ! CL🍀

How did you know that was AI and not a real person? This is troubling ! CL🍀

Their responses are all real generic and don’t really say anything.. At first I thought it was OP just patting themselves on the back (lol no offense intended OP) until I saw its last blurb* and looked at its account history.

I’ve used ChatGPT a lot to see what it’s all about and it gives the same type of responses in almost the same way. It just sort of danced around the topics.

*What really solidified it was it saying this:

“Vorici, a fictional character or concept not within my pre-September 2021 knowledge, lacks specific information. To provide accurate details, kindly offer context or consider exploring other topics. I'm here to help with a wide range of subjects within my training data.”

That’s an almost identical statement I’ve seen ChatGPT give when you try to ask it about stuff it isn’t trained on. It bugged out with the Vorici thing because OP never said anything about a “Vorici”. The closest Op came to that was Various

Best to just ignore and report them for us to get and not let it bother you guys.

There's nothing else we can do to stop them from joining and posting, but we're really good at catching and deleting quickly :thanks:

Best to just ignore and report them for us to get and not let it bother you guys.

There's nothing else we can do to stop them from joining and posting, but we're really good at catching and deleting quickly :thanks:
I’m going to be looking for them now and I’ll report them to you immediately. They just messed up with me. CL🍀

I’m going to be looking for them now and I’ll report them to you immediately. They just messed up with me. CL🍀
Please report them to the site, not me directly :thanks:

The Nitrogen ratio has to be maintained to help with photosynthesis in the remaining fan leaves but also in any green parts of the plant including the sugar and small fan leaves in the buds and even the younger stems.

You are right that the darker plants definitely look much healthier and the lighter green ones do look like they are not getting enough nutrients.

Nice looking grow.

The darker green plants do look healthier.

Excess nitrogen does cause almost all plant leaves, and not just Marijuana leaves, to turn a dark green but that would be a much darker green, almost looking like a black green in color. Your plants look a long way from excess nitrogen.

Could something else be causing the darkening? I am suggesting that this might be it. When you switch over from the Grow fertilizer to the Bloom fertilizers and add in the Green Sensation plus the P/K Booster you have dropped the Nitrogen. At the same time you have increased the amounts of both Phosphorous and Potassium big time.

The Phosphorous is needed for improved growth at all growing tips and this helps promote the flower bud development. It also helps with photosynthesis. In the long run though it does not seem to be the most important of the macro nutrients.

The Potassium is the number one macro nutrient that is used for overall plant health and growth. In my opinion it is more important than Nitrogen in this regard though the Nitrogen is still needed.

A couple of years ago in a thread about other fertilizers @InTheShed posted this message that went into the amounts or levels of the three macro nutrients that are needed during the growing stage and during the flowering stage.The study done by botanists and horticulture science people is found at the link he included in his msg. There is a bit more to the study than just the bar charts.

https://www.420magazine.com/community/threads/mega-crop-is-it-really-an-all-in-one-fertilizer.499794/#post-5299193

Low levels of both available Nitrogen and Potassiumn can cause a yellow color to start appearing in the leaves. As long as the deficiency does not get severe or last long enough to cause permanent damage to the leaf it can be fixed when the levels of those two increase.

I am figuring that the green is the result of the increased Potassium is aiding the overall plant health and therefore color. Plus, the plant can now better use the available Nitrogen. If it was my grow I would be considering an occasional watering with some type of Nitrogen source, probably something from a liquid fish source since they are easy to mix up and the plants seem to react quickly to nutrients derived from fish and it is hard to overdose with fish.

All this is something to kick around while you are thinking about your experiments.

Nice looking grow.

The darker green plants do look healthier.

Excess nitrogen does cause almost all plant leaves, and not just Marijuana leaves, to turn a dark green but that would be a much darker green, almost looking like a black green in color. Your plants look a long way from excess nitrogen.

Could something else be causing the darkening? I am suggesting that this might be it. When you switch over from the Grow fertilizer to the Bloom fertilizers and add in the Green Sensation plus the P/K Booster you have dropped the Nitrogen. At the same time you have increased the amounts of both Phosphorous and Potassium big time.

The Phosphorous is needed for improved growth at all growing tips and this helps promote the flower bud development. It also helps with photosynthesis. In the long run though it does not seem to be the most important of the macro nutrients.

The Potassium is the number one macro nutrient that is used for overall plant health and growth. In my opinion it is more important than Nitrogen in this regard though the Nitrogen is still needed.

A couple of years ago in a thread about other fertilizers @InTheShed posted this message that went into the amounts or levels of the three macro nutrients that are needed during the growing stage and during the flowering stage.The study done by botanists and horticulture science people is found at the link he included in his msg. There is a bit more to the study than just the bar charts.

https://www.420magazine.com/community/threads/mega-crop-is-it-really-an-all-in-one-fertilizer.499794/#post-5299193

Low levels of both available Nitrogen and Potassiumn can cause a yellow color to start appearing in the leaves. As long as the deficiency does not get severe or last long enough to cause permanent damage to the leaf it can be fixed when the levels of those two increase.

I am figuring that the green is the result of the increased Potassium is aiding the overall plant health and therefore color. Plus, the plant can now better use the available Nitrogen. If it was my grow I would be considering an occasional watering with some type of Nitrogen source, probably something from a liquid fish source since they are easy to mix up and the plants seem to react quickly to nutrients derived from fish and it is hard to overdose with fish.

All this is something to kick around while you are thinking about your experiments.

Face meet palm. I didn’t even think of K

Here’s a shot of the impact K has different ppm levels
IMG_5411.jpeg

Between the three K containing nutrients being initiate for flower, OP is likely just giving the plant the K it’s wanted the whole time

Yes, pretty much it.

I still recommend giving some extra Nitrogen to help avoid the yellowing of leaves when the plant starts to take the N from the older leaves to move it to the new growth.

Yep.. I agree. I keep N all the way until the end. I won’t top dress it after week 4 or so of flower but it’s still in the container since I spike and layer super soil any way.

I transposed numbers/time frames in my head.. I knew OP said flower but also said week 5-6 and somehow got week 5-6 of flower stuck in my head even after repeating what OP said lol.

That kind of stuff though is why I don’t mind asking others to look at my work.. I can miss real easy things or get stuff mixed up very easily when I’m focused.

Back
Top Bottom