led or double ended hps?

NewBoy420

i have been trying to get some input on this. i was planing to use a mars2 1600 in a 4x4x6 tent. i heard about some heat issues. since they are not air cooled. then i was thinking to use 1000 watt solis tek light. any one had any experience with any of the lights? what do you guys recommend.

Hey buddy yea but I as I was told the mars2 is not how do I say it like hooked up to the vent like a air cooled hood. Its made to remove the heat out the grow tent. And the mars2 has fans but they expell the heat into the tent. I guess what im trying to get at is is easy to keep the temps down if you use a mars2. Im new to this so if this is a dumb question in apologize

Ahh ok I gotcha.

I'm using a Mars Hydro Old Model 100x3, My grow closet is about 3'x2' or 90cmx60cm. Temps never go over 81F/27C

To keep the temps down, all you really need is an exhaust fan, which you should have anyways to blow out the old air, and draw fresh air in.

And nah bud, it's not a dumb question, everyone started out in the same place learning how to grow.

You can absolutely use more than one type of lighting. I've seen people using LED on top with more LED on the side, some use fluorescent lights on the side, and some use HIDs on top, with LEDs or Fluorescent on the side. It's really just up to you, and how many lights your tent can support.

In a 4x4, you could get away with using a Mars II 900w, but a Mars II 1200w would cover it a little better.

Now when you move into the reflector series, 2 96x3w would work just fine.
With the 144x3w you're covering a bit more than you need on two of the sides.
And the Reflector 192x3w would be a nice fit for that tent as well.

With the size limits of the tent though, being 4x4, there might not be enough space for two LED panels, and a 1000w HID. Running the 100w will also increase the cost of electricity greatly, and will really, really increase temps in there, creating the need for a much bigger and stronger exhaust fan.

For me personally, I'd go with the LEDs, which I did lol, but I haven't used HID grow equipment to compare them side by side. I have seen enough journals to know that the LEDs can be quite effective in growing though.

Ahh ok I gotcha.

I'm using a Mars Hydro Old Model 100x3, My grow closet is about 3'x2' or 90cmx60cm. Temps never go over 81F/27C

To keep the temps down, all you really need is an exhaust fan, which you should have anyways to blow out the old air, and draw fresh air in.

And nah bud, it's not a dumb question, everyone started out in the same place learning how to grow.

You can absolutely use more than one type of lighting. I've seen people using LED on top with more LED on the side, some use fluorescent lights on the side, and some use HIDs on top, with LEDs or Fluorescent on the side. It's really just up to you, and how many lights your tent can support.

In a 4x4, you could get away with using a Mars II 900w, but a Mars II 1200w would cover it a little better.

Now when you move into the reflector series, 2 96x3w would work just fine.
With the 144x3w you're covering a bit more than you need on two of the sides.
And the Reflector 192x3w would be a nice fit for that tent as well.

With the size limits of the tent though, being 4x4, there might not be enough space for two LED panels, and a 1000w HID. Running the 100w will also increase the cost of electricity greatly, and will really, really increase temps in there, creating the need for a much bigger and stronger exhaust fan.

For me personally, I'd go with the LEDs, which I did lol, but I haven't used HID grow equipment to compare them side by side. I have seen enough journals to know that the LEDs can be quite effective in growing though.

man im just stuck bro every time i feel like i made my mind up i get back into thinking mode. i do have a 6 inch fan that will be my exhaust. where i am at right now is ok hear me out and tell me what you think..... im in the basement so i can use my floor joist to hang stuff up from i will just cut some slits in the tend and put duck tape on them as i really dont want to hang lights from a tent. the floor joist will give me better peace of mind.. ok 1000 watt solis tek dimmed to 600 or 750 in air cooled hood thats 20in x 20in. with the two reflectors on the side i was thinking the 144x3 just because i always go high than what i got to ensure i get full coverage. but if u have some experience and u say the smaller reflectors will work ill take your word then. i have to buy today so im really in need of advice.

I personally like the reflector series, but the Mars II are great too, just more powerful LEDs. They also have the Veg and Bloom switches now.

hey buddy any ideas on what mars i would need for veg and clones for a 3x3 or 4x4 area. i would only use it for veg and the 1000 for flower?

hey NewBoy, 3x3 or 4x4? final grow area? we need that information to tell you which light is better for your grow.
hey buddy any ideas on what mars i would need for veg and clones for a 3x3 or 4x4 area. i would only use it for veg and the 1000 for flower?

Personally I would go with a DE HID setup, but if you want to go LED that had CREE LED's or OSRAM gold series designed specific for horticulture.

Cheers

If you are going LED I would go for a CREE style LED Fixture, way more efficient, There are many choices in LED technology and all of them will grow plants, the difference is in the PAR per watt. The difference in the Technology you choose will mean the difference between 4 times as much par per watt in the CREE style vs. older cheaper Technology, BridgeLux type LED is similar to but not as good as CREE, OSRAM Horticultural LED is Superior but not in the price range for people growing there own Head stash.

My personal choice would be DE HID, I can explain why if you like I just typically find it is a passionate topic and often leads to Passionate debates, if you get my drift. ;)

Back
Top Bottom