LED wattage for 2x2x4' & a few more questions

Apoc

Currently my first hydroponics grow. Is 1000w grow light okay for 2 self flowering plants in a 2x2x4' tent? It's an off brand but getting a Mars 1k Watt and keeping the off brand for a backup.

Plan is one tent and one grow box, couple in flower and couple in Veg. When I harvest move the Veg Seedlings or clones to the grow box. Can I take a 1 week hit and use the tent to dry the harvest? (Carbon filtered)

Got a 200 CFM intake inline fan at the bottom of tent, seems like the fan is a bit intense. There's a 400 CFM exhaust with a carbon filter (not using yet). Is that airflow to heavy for seedlings?

If I need a fan controller will you please link an affordable one.

Thanks great forum!

Is it dimmable? You don’t need 1000w (hps?) for that space, but you can use it for sure so long as you keep it 25 inches above the canopy. To me that’s not worth it, I’d use a smaller wattage to grow larger plants.
Also yes you can use your tent to hang and dry. Make sure it’s complete dark and you maintain temp & humidity.

I'm just starting but I can get a Mars LED and a larger tent later. Six foot is about as tall as I can get. The initial 4 foot is for Veg, these autoflower I picked are high yield, high potency and short. Hopefully with this proof of concept setup I can top and keep the first run short.

Active air speed controller. Costs a tiny bit more but it won't make your extraction fan make weird sounds like the cheaper/ knockoff brands do.

Got a Mars 300 designed for a 2x2 coming.

How far from seedling for this one?

I'll measure the ceiling and at the appropriate time grab a 4'x4'x80"

I know once lined out I'm going to want max legal (6 flowering and 6 veg) lol

Thanks and sorry for the noob questions!

Got a Mars 300 designed for a 2x2 coming.

How far from seedling for this one?

I'll measure the ceiling and at the appropriate time grab a 4'x4'x80"

I know once lined out I'm going to want max legal (6 flowering and 6 veg) lol

Thanks and sorry for the noob questions!
15-22 inches for 300w LED

3x3x6' tent, active fan speed controllers and a Mars Hydro LED light incoming. Less wattage than the 1000w I have so I can lower closer to the seedlings. Current (out of bag) seedlings growing 2nd set of leaves.

Currently my first hydroponics grow. Is 1000w grow light okay for 2 self flowering plants in a 2x2x4' tent? It's an off brand but getting a Mars 1k Watt and keeping the off brand for a backup.

Plan is one tent and one grow box, couple in flower and couple in Veg. When I harvest move the Veg Seedlings or clones to the grow box. Can I take a 1 week hit and use the tent to dry the harvest? (Carbon filtered)

Got a 200 CFM intake inline fan at the bottom of tent, seems like the fan is a bit intense. There's a 400 CFM exhaust with a carbon filter (not using yet). Is that airflow to heavy for seedlings?

If I need a fan controller will you please link an affordable one.

Thanks great forum!
Hi Apoc, welcome aboard!!
Basically you need around 30-40 watts a square foot. Keep in mind this is actual watts , not equivalent watts. Somewhere on your 1000 watt light it should say the real amperage draw, or the real line wattage. If its written in amps multiply by the line voltage (120) to get actual watts. While it may be drawing 1000 watts, that would be about 8 amps, which is way too much for a 2x2 tent! I suspect it will be around 200. That fan is probably to much as well and you can get a variable speed line control like The Speedster to slow it down. The Speedster

For comparison sake, I am running 450 watts actual of COBs and a blurple in a 10 square foot tent, so thats 45 watts a square foot. Reading 25000 lux on my analog meter at 1 foot distance. I use 4 inch "duct booster" style of fan to exhaust the tent and it seems to work just fine. I mounted it on a 5 gallon pail lid and set it on top of the exhaust hole on the tent. Room is about 62 F, tent temperature is 72 F 55% RH when the lights are on. I run about 18 inches during veg, and 12 inches away during Bloom.

I added one more 100 watt cob after this pic was taken if your wondering how I got to 450.

Per a KillAWatt measurement I'm pulling .52 Amp. .52A x 120 = 62.4W actual. So by those calculations at 4 sq feet I'd be at 15W per SQ foot. I'd be calling BS on the light specifications but what do I know lol. I have a Mars Hydro coming.

I also have an incoming 3x3x6' tent and two good fan speed controllers.

The information and patience is much appreciated!

This is the current light is from eBay.

This is the incoming light

MARS HYDRO TS 600W LED Grow Light 2x2 ft Sunlike Full Spectrum Led Grow Lamp Plants Growing Lights for Hydroponic Indoor Seeding Veg and Bloom Greenhouse Growing Light Fixtures Two for 4x4 Coverage

1665093105614.png

It says in the ad near the bottom that it is a switchable 100 wattt/200 watt light, so it is just the right size for your tent, and as its blurple it will work great for flowering! A lot of those you run the bloom and veg switch both on to flower, which doubles the power use. . The Mars is great, I have a TSW 2000 300 watt unit.

Awesome looking plants, I'm popping 2 Critical Kush Auto for now. 3x3 tent comes popping couple of different autos.

Thanks! Curious how you read the amps on your light? To read amps you have to interrupt the hot circuit with the leads (a little dangerous and usually blows the multimeter fuse at these amps) or use a clamp on style amp reader which surrounds the hot lead only and reads with induction. Reading it like voltage will not give an accurate reading. Or maybe it has a dimmer and you read it right? .
Check out my journals if you like for my other grows, listed below in my signature.

Hi Buzz, I use a KillAWatt device, it reads from the plug. Plug in the KillAWatt, plug your device into it and you have a variety of amp/Watt/kilowatt info available at the push of a button. This one was tested at a local University and it's + or - 1%.

Worked on and wrote about computers for 30 years so it came in handy figuring total pull from the wall, making sure not to underpower rigs using to small a PSU.

P3 P4400 Kill A Watt Electricity Usage Monitor

1665092989964.png

Neat! Funny its so low though. All the led units I have basically draw exactly what they say on the spec label. My Mars light is 300 rated watts and draws 306 watts. 100 watts should be almost .9 amp, 200 watts 1.8 amps or so. And yours should draw either 100 or 200 real watts depending on the setting. Line voltage can vary here in Canada from 105-120 V at times so actual amperage readings vary a bit!

The sketchy light, I'd say is a 300w equivalent from China, maybe 12x12". More or less a proof of concept light. They just legalized medical here and can grow 6 flowering and 6 clone per grow license so I'm gearing up for 6 F and 6 C.

Based on advice I have a Mars 600w and a Mars 1000w coming, a 4' starter tent and a 6' finish tent. Tents are 4sq and 9sq feet. Couple of inline fans and controllers, wifi thermometers/humidity. Advanced hydro nutes, pH tester, ppm tester and all the junk to go with. Going half hydro and half soil to cover bases. At the 10$ a gram dispensary level growing became viable financially. Much appreciated for the info!

No prob. I have a no name 2.4 K blurple at 150 watts and it works nice. It turned my Blueberries a nice pink, whereas the same buds under 3.1 K cobs stayed green. And my Mars is a bit bluer than the cobs, Mars @ 3.7K versus FS cob @ 3.1K Keep the blurple and throw it on in addition during flower as it will add a bunch of red for the flower cycle.
We can only have a max of 4 plants here in Canada, no matter what the stage. I can show up at a buddies and pull 4 clones and transport them so its not too bad. 6 and 6 would be GREAT though! :Rasta:

Buzz62, you cloning photoperiod blueberry then? I'm starting autoflowering to start, short season high yield, noob seeds. I have photoperiod seed but auto to get dialed in. How many generations can you clone or is it perpetual? I'm thinking half hydro and half dirt out of the gate, that way if I jack up hydro there's still crop.

Back
Top Bottom