Let's Get This Tent Setup So We Can Get These Herbie Seeds to Cracking the Soil

Re: Let's get this tent setup so we can get these Herbie seeds to cracking the soil :

Hey there Dizzy, i've read and caught up to your current progress.

May i make a suggestion or two?

Less plants is more. By this i mean, with less plants in your space, you allow them to grow bigger. They fight other plants less for the available light thus they can absorb it and photosynthesize more efficiently.

Light transitions:
I start my spouted seeds under 600w MH. they love it! the more light you can give them when they have leaves to absorb that energy, the better, more established root systems they will develop. CFLS WILL work dont get me wrong, but you have to have them super close to your babies to keep them from stretching too much which will run the risk of your young plants stem being too weak to support it.

My MH is about 2.5 feet (30 inches or so) away from my little sprouts which i popped 2 weeks ago and are already transplanted into 4" square pots.
I also have a small 165w LED i'm using for veg as well as part of a Sponsored Grow Journal and review, which i have to say is very impressive, and keeps the heat in my 4x4 tent at a comfortable level for my seedling in there. The vegetative growth under this particular LED is great for anyone wanting to set up a small veg area.

Hood:
Definitely pull the air through the hood, the colder air drawn over the bulb will increase its lifespan which will give you more hours of growing before you have to replace the bulb. Plus it will suck away the hot air that your bulb would normally emit towards your plants.

Exhaust:
I read that you said your carbon filter was going to be on the bottom of your tent? I would suggest you attach it to the rafters of your tent. Hot air rises, right, so when you are drawing in cold air from the bottom vents on your tent (most tents have vent flaps, mine do. check my current journals out for pics of those) you want that cooler air to be drawn across your plants which will bring the Co2 enriched air for your plants, rather than just being sucked away cause the exhaust is at the same level as the intake. you want constant air transfer so the air is always rich in Co2, and not stagnant for your plants, without having to supplement with additional Co2.

Distance of Light-plants:
this isn't so much about how far or how close, you will figure out what your plants prefer. I am referring to your comments about lowering the lights or leaving them fixed to the rafters of the tent. I dont have a bad back, or am immobile in any way, i just hate bending down and leaning over to work on plants. I have a grow box thats mere inches off the ground and i dread the days i have to do work in there because i'm slumped on the ground with my head stuff into a box. My point being, raise your plants to your light. Work smarter, not harder! You are going to save yourself the discomfort of being laid out on the ground just to look at a plant or to do some watering or whatever... see my point? Personally, if i dont have to roll around on the ground, why should i? you will be growing in soil, which could get messy all over your floor right? wanna roll around in perlite and shit? I grow in hydro (DWC and a top feed system) so i dont worry about my floor being dirty but i still dont like to be the broom thats sweeping up the floor, you dig?

Mother Plants:
Just dont.. You dont need them. As long as you learn the basics of cloning, you will never need to take up space with a plant thats only purpose is to give you a cutting or two every few weeks. What happens when you get bored of the strain?
Point #2. A mother plant wastes expensive nutrients. Save those nutrients for your plants that are in flower, the ones that really need it.
I find that Mother plants that have vegged for an extended period of time produce clones that take longer to root. I started taking clones from my White Widow i have in flower when she was 5 months into veg. These particular clones have taken like 2 months to finally grow, when i see peoples clones, from younger plants, only taking like 7 days to root, and like a month to become a bush.. so i'm going to test my theory on a younger plant, and see if it is true.
Mother plants also count towards total plant count. So if you have a limit, this mother ( or two even) could put you over your limit once you start taking clones. If you want a great semi-perpetual schedule that eliminates mother plants and helps utilize your space, then follow this.
1. start seed
2. veg plant for minimum 8 weeks (2 months)
3. take 2 or 3 clones (you essentially just need one, the other two are just in case)
4. give the clones 7-14 days to root. Once they do, put the plant you took the clones from into flower.
5. veg the clones for the entire flowering process, once the original plant is done flowering, the clones are then ready to replace the original.

This method will pull you in close to 1lb harvests PER PLANT. this is based on one plant under a 600w Cooltube. Its easy and many people are doing it on 420 here.

For your sprouts you just germinated, they dont need any light until cotyledons have broken the surface of your soil, from there, i would give them indirect light for 18 hours each day. Once they have formed the first true leaves, you can move them under direct light. also, its more than okay for the seed casing to come off during germination, as long as the taproot continues to grow it will be okay.

Hell, i just germinated about 25 seeds, and one of my White Widow x Great White Shark sprouts had the tap root break off while in the rockwool cube. The broken piece died off, and the remaining taproot has continued to grow, so you would be surprised at how resilient these little "weeds" are hahah

i'm subbed up and will be following along! congratulations on your first growing endeavor!

Re: Let's get this tent setup so we can get these Herbie seeds to cracking the soil :

Hey there Dizzy, i've read and caught up to your current progress.

May i make a suggestion or two?

Less plants is more. By this i mean, with less plants in your space, you allow them to grow bigger. They fight other plants less for the available light thus they can absorb it and photosynthesize more efficiently.

Light transitions:
I start my spouted seeds under 600w MH. they love it! the more light you can give them when they have leaves to absorb that energy, the better, more established root systems they will develop. CFLS WILL work dont get me wrong, but you have to have them super close to your babies to keep them from stretching too much which will run the risk of your young plants stem being too weak to support it.

My MH is about 2.5 feet (30 inches or so) away from my little sprouts which i popped 2 weeks ago and are already transplanted into 4" square pots.
I also have a small 165w LED i'm using for veg as well as part of a Sponsored Grow Journal and review, which i have to say is very impressive, and keeps the heat in my 4x4 tent at a comfortable level for my seedling in there. The vegetative growth under this particular LED is great for anyone wanting to set up a small veg area.

Hood:
Definitely pull the air through the hood, the colder air drawn over the bulb will increase its lifespan which will give you more hours of growing before you have to replace the bulb. Plus it will suck away the hot air that your bulb would normally emit towards your plants.

Exhaust:
I read that you said your carbon filter was going to be on the bottom of your tent? I would suggest you attach it to the rafters of your tent. Hot air rises, right, so when you are drawing in cold air from the bottom vents on your tent (most tents have vent flaps, mine do. check my current journals out for pics of those) you want that cooler air to be drawn across your plants which will bring the Co2 enriched air for your plants, rather than just being sucked away cause the exhaust is at the same level as the intake. you want constant air transfer so the air is always rich in Co2, and not stagnant for your plants, without having to supplement with additional Co2.

Distance of Light-plants:
this isn't so much about how far or how close, you will figure out what your plants prefer. I am referring to your comments about lowering the lights or leaving them fixed to the rafters of the tent. I dont have a bad back, or am immobile in any way, i just hate bending down and leaning over to work on plants. I have a grow box thats mere inches off the ground and i dread the days i have to do work in there because i'm slumped on the ground with my head stuff into a box. My point being, raise your plants to your light. Work smarter, not harder! You are going to save yourself the discomfort of being laid out on the ground just to look at a plant or to do some watering or whatever... see my point? Personally, if i dont have to roll around on the ground, why should i? you will be growing in soil, which could get messy all over your floor right? wanna roll around in perlite and shit? I grow in hydro (DWC and a top feed system) so i dont worry about my floor being dirty but i still dont like to be the broom thats sweeping up the floor, you dig?

Mother Plants:
Just dont.. You dont need them. As long as you learn the basics of cloning, you will never need to take up space with a plant thats only purpose is to give you a cutting or two every few weeks. What happens when you get bored of the strain?
Point #2. A mother plant wastes expensive nutrients. Save those nutrients for your plants that are in flower, the ones that really need it.
I find that Mother plants that have vegged for an extended period of time produce clones that take longer to root. I started taking clones from my White Widow i have in flower when she was 5 months into veg. These particular clones have taken like 2 months to finally grow, when i see peoples clones, from younger plants, only taking like 7 days to root, and like a month to become a bush.. so i'm going to test my theory on a younger plant, and see if it is true.
Mother plants also count towards total plant count. So if you have a limit, this mother ( or two even) could put you over your limit once you start taking clones. If you want a great semi-perpetual schedule that eliminates mother plants and helps utilize your space, then follow this.
1. start seed
2. veg plant for minimum 8 weeks (2 months)
3. take 2 or 3 clones (you essentially just need one, the other two are just in case)
4. give the clones 7-14 days to root. Once they do, put the plant you took the clones from into flower.
5. veg the clones for the entire flowering process, once the original plant is done flowering, the clones are then ready to replace the original.

This method will pull you in close to 1lb harvests PER PLANT. this is based on one plant under a 600w Cooltube. Its easy and many people are doing it on 420 here.

For your sprouts you just germinated, they dont need any light until cotyledons have broken the surface of your soil, from there, i would give them indirect light for 18 hours each day. Once they have formed the first true leaves, you can move them under direct light. also, its more than okay for the seed casing to come off during germination, as long as the taproot continues to grow it will be okay.

Hell, i just germinated about 25 seeds, and one of my White Widow x Great White Shark sprouts had the tap root break off while in the rockwool cube. The broken piece died off, and the remaining taproot has continued to grow, so you would be surprised at how resilient these little "weeds" are hahah

i'm subbed up and will be following along! congratulations on your first growing endeavor!

wow awesome info .good guy to have on your thread .. i never get details like that in my journal ...(jealous) j\k well kinda ...

like peyton said if it hasent turned into mush dont give up on her .. i never got your pic of the inside of the tent.(clears throat)
i went ahead and bought the same tent and it will be here tomorrow ..cant wait to put my hsh in flower ...glad u finally got some ladies in the ground .

Yeah man you'll love the tent! Green thumb J SOOOO glad to have you on board! I have them in the tent in indirect light. I'm pretty excited guys I'm waiting on the carbon filter for a couple weeks I've spent so much money as of now there is no odor. I will post pics when the little ladies decide to show their face!

Yeah man you'll love the tent! Green thumb J SOOOO glad to have you on board! I have them in the tent in indirect light. I'm pretty excited guys I'm waiting on the carbon filter for a couple weeks I've spent so much money as of now there is no odor. I will post pics when the little ladies decide to show their face!

lol i bought a carbon filter on my first grow and still havent had to set it up.this is my 3rd grow .that was with autos though photos may be a little different.

Yeah I hear ya devils my building is out in the woods so it won't be a big deal unless there's a hunter that loves the smell of a skunk lol. I'm going to order a veg tent if y'all know of a like 3x3x5 or 6 let me know

Take a look at my journal Dizzy, The widow run #2 and my Sponsored journal, i show construction of my tent that i got at a local place here in British Columbia. they do international shipping tho. Also do full HID packages 400w, 600w and 1000w ballast, CoolTube Reflector or Air Cooled Hood with a 24hr timer and a Cheap yo yo to hang the lights with..
400w package is 150 i think?
600w package (like i am using) was $200. Comes with a 600w MH and a 600w HPS bulb as well as the cooltube, ballast, timer and yo yo
1000w package is $275 i think? not sure as i did not buy the 1000w

For my 8'x8'x6.5' tent i paid $250 CAD before taxes
For my 4'x4'x6.5' tent i paid $150 CAD before taxes.
They also have a 4'x8'x6.5' tent for $200 CAD before taxes.

I have to PM you the website because they are not a sponsor. Let me know if you are interested. The tents are all metal pole construction, and unlike the instructions, you DONT NEED 4 people to set up the 8x8 tent like i have.. just one really stoned and determined, but probably just smart, stoner!! all their tents can be built by one person and they are SUPER easy to take down and put up if you dont like where you put it

check my journals tho to get a look at them before you make a choice, but personally, since they're like 15 min drive away from me, its a no brainer. Cheaper than my local hydro store thats for sure on the same products. They're all made and shipped from China, but i think they are pretty damn good.. i'm growing my 6month veg Widow in my 8x8 tent under 2 600w Cooltubes and i gotta say i am loving it!

I've got the seedlings under a 600w mh dimmed to 300w ATM and going to slowly adjust them giving appropriate maturation process. I will check out your journal later bud no doubt I'm looking to do a veg tent under LEDs in the future, that's if this crop is a success

I couldn't get my 24 hr timer to work for some reason I'm have to manually do it until next week fml idk I couldn't get any power through it

here u go 1 - Secret Jardin Cristal Room 2' x 2' x 2' (CR60)

mls-bMyG-TDYIRVuy7qh1JA.jpg
$65.00

SolaHut EXTREME Hydroponics Grow Tent - 4'x4'x6.5', 1680D MYLAR, 250LB CAPACITY $125.00
m1AwFQQL1kU4P35F2a1lMEg.jpg

So no light what so ever until they crack the soil... just shut the tent lights off completely?

Seeds dont need light in nature to germinate. Just 3 simple things

Moisture
darkness
oxygen

so in nature the soil provides the darkness and oxygen and water obviously haha provides the moisture.

When you germinate a seed, you (at least i do) soak some paper towel (i use a germination mixture i have made) and place your seeds in the dripping wet paper towel and either place it between two plates or in a ziplock bag.

It doesn't need any direct light until you see its first set of true leaves (serrated edge). once it breaks the surface, you can give it some indirect light until the cotyledons emerge, then you can increase its light to direct.

hope this helps get you some healthy seedlings.

To prevent dampening off, use Botanicare's Aquashield (now called Hydroguard) its great for hydroponics AND soil. It will also help colonize your root zone allowing better uptake of nutrients as well as well as prevent root problems

Alright good deal I turned the mh off for the time being thanks for the tip bud

Its not going to hurt your plants, but why not try our best to mimic mother nature right? We already are imitating Mother Sun after all!

The MH will give off unnecessary heat tho, and higher temperature can lead to a higher male to female ratio, when we want a higher female to male ratio (like all things in life right? haha)

My seeds are feminized man. And I thought that happened at the pollen sacks of the female plant during pollination? But I'm not really sure I'm driving out to go check on the kids now I'll post pics if I see any faces

Update: no faces shown ATM maybe by morning

I think I made a beginner mistake I soaked the soil/mix and then drained them do u think they have to much water ? :(

if you drained it, it should be okay, make sure that you have a fan blowing onto your medium to help promote drying properly. Soggy soil is a haven for pests and insects. Thats one of the 2 reasons i stayed away from soil growing. The second reason is, i dont wanna mix up yards of soil in my High rise apartment!!

Yeah soil seems easier is why I went with it, but if I over watered oh well on to the next lol and should I give them about a week to show?

Personally, soil doesn't seem like its any easier than hydro.

you have to come up with a ratio of soil mix, then mix it up (sometimes cook it if you are using a high brix soil) Dirt and shit gets everywhere, makes for a mess you have to clean up.

Hydroponics is very simple. Add nutrients to water and monitor the PH and PPM levels. Change the nutrient solution every 7 days.

Dont have to worry about mixing soil to repot and transplant plants into larger containers.

Also, you dont see fungus gnats, aphids, thrips or most other cannabis related insect as much in hydro as you do in soil.

vegetative growth is much more rapid as well in hydro.

Only thing you REALLY need to worry about is the temperature of your water. But if you are using beneficial bacteria in your water reservoir, as well as Aquashield (or Hydroguard as its now called) then higher water temps aren't much of an issue anymore.

Back
Top Bottom