Let's Get This Tent Setup So We Can Get These Herbie Seeds to Cracking the Soil

Re: Let's get this tent setup so we can get these Herbie seeds to cracking the soil :

I just wanna see if I can grow a plant before I get to fancy I actually have a pump dropper and all. But I read that it's best to get a couple grows before u go into advance growing so let's see if we can get some incredible bulk blooming hopefully. I'll take a pic when I get home of my reading of the temp humidity and all. AGAIN glad to have you guys on board!

Re: Let's get this tent setup so we can get these Herbie seeds to cracking the soil :

I see how expensive those fancy grow cabinets are like u got also lol not in my budget at the moment. Although, it is beautiful!

all you need is a $3 5gal bucket and lid from Home Deport, a decent $25 2-outlet air pump, 2 decent air stones ($3 each), a $2 6" net pot and some rockwool or hydroton pebbles, which are very inexpensive as well (less than $20 for a bag of hydroton and like maybe $1 for a block of rockwool for a 6" netpot)

Other three things you will need (but usually already have) are Nutrients, a seed and some determination!

All the fancy stuff you see in my journal was because i'm growing in an apartment and at the time i thought stealth was paramount. I'm finding now with my larger setup, stealth really isn't that much of an issue. I should have saved the $3800 i spent on the Grow Box and put it towards my grow set up now.. If i sold it now (at a huge loss of course) i would replace it with a 4x8 tent and either run 2 600w HID's or 2 1000w LED's

The grow box sure looks nice, but for a fraction of the cost, i could have the same thing in a much bigger space and grow larger plants that yield much more. I find temperatures are going to be a problem unless you have the grow box in a very very cold basement, or at least somehow you manage to force induce cold air to battle the poor heat exhaust from the crappy fans.

I have to admit though, its running really well right now using the original 18-site hydro tub it came with and loads of beneficials. I had root issues in it before i started using Aquashield, so i made my own DWC containers but now am back using the original reservior and 18-site lid. Its fully automated, so i dont need to worry about watering, ever. It also is a DWC as well, so the roots are submerged in water, thus never really needing a hand watering or anything. I have seen nothing but explosive growth from these plants in here with the current strains that are in the box. My nutrient feeding schedule is tailored to heavy feeding plants. I feel all plants can feed heavily if you gradually increase the nutrient levels in the water at small increments.

I also apply my Own version of Heisenberg Tea weekly to my plants at the base of the stalk over the root ball, so the roots have a better chance of absorption opposed to the beneficials being in the reservoir directly and being diluted and killed by the nutrients.

I dont think i would see the growth rates i have seen without using the beneficial tea once a week

To battle those high temps i mentioned, i have the door open with my AC blowing directly inside. Its keeping my temp inside with the HPS on flower schedule at 20-26 depending how warm it is outside. Also, my water temperatures are at near perfect temps too. Once winter hits here in BC, this grow box is going to be dialed in when i have all the widows open in the room AND the AC running to keep both rooms that have my tents, super cold so the heat of the lights maintains the perfect temps!

Yeah I saw some cheap dwc DIY setups that looked gun I actually bought a Rubbermaid tote pump and all that jazz and decided to go with soil until I figure out what causes what mute burn vs calcium def vs nitrogen levels etc.. I have much to learn bud

growing in soil i think will be hard to figure those things out. I find growing in a hydroponics system you have a good idea of just what is going into the water you are feeding with, and how much of each level. how much each nutrient changes PPM and PH levels by simply putting a meter into the water, rather than just kinda guessing based on what you are feeding and taking measurements from your water run off.. it seems like a lot of work if you ask me. The hardest part about growing in DWC is lugging a heavy bucket of water around hahaha..

Soil PH meters are very inaccurate as are Soil moisture meters. Becomes more of a guessing game than clockwork... If you have a recipe (like i do for DWC) then it just becomes routine.

It's been 48 hrs and no seedling to show yet grr lol

it takes time. Some seeds can take up to 7 days to actually crack and germinate. Some sprouts are just slow starters.

give it another day or 2 and if you dont see the sprout breaking the surface you either have your soil packed down too hard, or it was too moist and the seedling damped off.

Yeah I'm gonna give it a week they were put in Monday morning

If you see nothing by friday or saturday, i would excavate your soil carefully and find your sprout and see if its growing roots.. if not, it damped off and you should try growing in rockwool!

I don't have a germination trey or anything for rock wool. Let's just keep our fingers crossed on these seeds lol

a nursery tray costs less than $5 at a gardening store/hydro store/Home Deport with a humidity dome.

Even still.. you dont need a nursery tray with a humidity dome...

Got a large tupperware container with an airtight lid?

You're in business then!! thats actually what i use and i scraped my nursery tray and humidity dome (i only use it for cloning now. In rockwool that is!) I even use smaller tupperware containers for small batches of seeds i'm germinating. Then when they are ready to have the lids come off, i even leave them in the homemade tupperware drip trays and water the rockwool block by hand as needed.

This is currently what my nursery tray looks like. Full of seedlings that have been transplanted into 4" square pots. i'm simply using it to catch the run off when i water because it fits nicely between my clones as you can see.
GEDC01082.JPG

The reason you see sprouts not in tupperware containers is my GF needed some to take leftovers for lunch the next day :rofl:

I have a more caring strain white widow and super silver haze for the next grow I was hoping to conquer the simple one first but not looking good guys :(

it takes time. Some seeds can take up to 7 days to actually crack and germinate. Some sprouts are just slow starters.

give it another day or 2 and if you dont see the sprout breaking the surface you either have your soil packed down too hard, or it was too moist and the seedling damped off.

Grrenthumb J
Could you Please explain, what dampen off is. Thank you

Grrenthumb J
Could you Please explain, what dampen off is. Thank you

Certainly James.

Damping off is a horticultural disease or condition in which harmful pathogens attack the seed or seedling and weakens or kills it before or after germination. Its most common in wet and cool conditions.

Theres a variety of different symptoms associated with certain bacteria or fungi that attack the the seedling, but all result in death of some or all of the affected seedlings.

To counteract this and to increase your germination rates try adding beneficial bacteria products from germination such as Gen Hydro's Subculture-M or Plant Success' Great White.

My first suggestion as a first line of defense against damping off and Pythium (root rot) is to use Botanicare's Aquashield (now called Hydroguard) It is a liquid compost solution derived from composted poultry litter that contains a wide range of the Bacillus genus of bacteria that is essential for colonizing your root zone in rooted plants, as well as preventing damping off and increasing the vigor of your sprouts.. It will also obliterate root rot in hydroponics systems and new roots will explode out of the dead root material.

Used in conjunction with other beneficial bacteria, your plants will be hardier, stronger, more vigorous plants much more resistant to disease and heat.

that was very informative ......learned something else......always something.....:peace:

The soil was almost dry this morning I let it be and see what happens

The soil was almost dry this morning I let it be and see what happens

be patient .. one of my biggest plants took 5 days to pop were the others took 1 to 2 days ..are u confident u didn't drown them to the bottom of the container ? i lost 4 seeds like that when i first started ..just remember they want to grow ..

The soil was damp enough I didn't water on top of the seed itself for that very fact I didn't wanna drown them.

Back
Top Bottom