Letting a buds dry on the plant?

jokerlola

I've been reading some info from old growers that put the whole plant (in a pot) in darkness and let the buds dry and cure on the vine. It's been called something like "Brown Bushin". Has anyone ever tried this?

It's supposed to take around 2 months and then you just cut and jar the buds and it's supposed to create an incredibly good cure. Any truth to this.

Also does anyone know a grower tha posted on other forums called Riddleme? He advocated this on some old forum posts I've read.

I haven't tried this method. I probably wouldn't either tho, because I have a belief that some of the oils from the stalks and leaves may transfer to the buds during drying via gravity. This belief may be erroneous - I have no evidence.

I don't know how it could be a good cure left to dry that completely - Microbe life dies out below 58ish rh is my understanding, and if there are no microbes, there is no curing happening.

Feel free to try it out and let us know tho, it sounds easy to do at least :)

There are methods to my madness…. and madness to my methods….. that said in 5 years time someone will run side by side clone grows then do terp profile & THC testing and say yup 013 that ole dumb country boy was right

I dig up my plants and bag the rootball in black plastic garbage bag taking care to get the air out and then use masking tape to seal bag around main trunk so no dirt falls out, the whole plant gets bud soaked in ultra clean plastic garbage can for 10 minutes…. standard 3 bucket wash or in my case soak…. not a fan of baking soda & lemon juice. big fan of bud wash plus low & slow fridge cure

she is hung upside down rootball and all…. it may be necessary to spread / clothes hanger / tie wire some branches out so it’s not 1 massive lump of biomass to help it dry better… Captain Obvious here but when you attempt to dry roots and all…. know before hand that it is a slower dry…. so your former 7 day dry hang then into jars might be 13 days or whatevs

you are smart guy Jokerola - you will figure it out

you want to rid of as much water out of the buds as possible in the first 3 days, WITHOUT the temp going above 68F and RH at no less then 55% for the first 3 days, then temp down 1 degree every 3 days, and RH up every 3 days by 1%, should take 10-14 days total to get into jars. The longer the dry process, the THC degrades to CBN

I haven't tried this method. I probably wouldn't either tho, because I have a belief that some of the oils from the stalks and leaves may transfer to the buds during drying via gravity. This belief may be erroneous - I have no evidence.

I don't know how it could be a good cure left to dry that completely - Microbe life dies out below 58ish rh is my understanding, and if there are no microbes, there is no curing happening.

Feel free to try it out and let us know tho, it sounds easy to do at least :)

The 10-15% I spoke of is the bud moisture content, not relative humidity.

The 10-15% I spoke of is the bud moisture content, not relative humidity.
It is possible I misused the term, perhaps rh doesn't actually apply to buds, only air. In any case, 15% moisture sounds crazy low to me, way too dry to have enough moisture or microbes left to cure. How can you determine a buds moisture content tho, in an exact way as to say 15 percent? Do you weigh it and then jar it when it is 85% lighter?

Mmm never heard of Brown Bushin curing process before :ganjamon:

But if you don't mind keeping a detailed record of such a method for others to observe, then I would be thrilled to bits to follow along :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :green_heart:

I don't know if I'm going to try it yet. The method I heard of is called "Brown Bushin" and involves just putting the potted plant (still in the pot) to dry in a dark cool space, like where you normally hang dry your plants, so that the buds dry on the vine. You don't water it anymore, you just let the plant slowly dry up. This can take up to 2 months but when the buds are dried, they are fully cured and just need to be trimmed and jarred. Supposedly they cure on the vine and it is supposed to produce an incredibly smooth smoke and incredible terp profile. I was just wondering if anyone had tried this?

I've often wondered about just letting the whole plant dry while still potted.

I chop down plants and hang them upside down on a line in a humidity controlled room with lights out but only because I dont wanna waste electricity.

Its how the pros do it... last few years I've been chopping and bud washing so hanging branches after the wash instead of whole plants.

With outdoor there's too much biomass so the outdoor gets hung up whole until I get the chance to wash and re-hang.

I don't know if I'm going to try it yet. The method I heard of is called "Brown Bushin" and involves just putting the potted plant (still in the pot) to dry in a dark cool space, like where you normally hang dry your plants, so that the buds dry on the vine. You don't water it anymore, you just let the plant slowly dry up. This can take up to 2 months but when the buds are dried, they are fully cured and just need to be trimmed and jarred. Supposedly they cure on the vine and it is supposed to produce an incredibly smooth smoke and incredible terp profile. I was just wondering if anyone had tried this?

I've often wondered about just letting the whole plant dry while still potted.
I have heard that in Mexico when they grew that really crappy weed of the 70s they let it dry where they planted it & would shake the plant to tell if it was good enough to compress and, ship that crap to Murica…

Back
Top Bottom