Light Placement questions?

tomatofarmer

Welcome, Im currently on my first grow ever, using soil and hand watering and 2 led 90watt bulbs. Plants are looking great and healthy. Im on this site daily looking for techniques and advice on how to not mess up my plants and increase yield and so fourth. I was looking at stuff on LST and supercroping and how they made it possible for more light to reach the plants lower leaves and increase light to the whole plant in general. My question is why don't people, or why cant you place lights at plant level facing the plant from a horizontal angle(obviously not so close to harm the plant) wouldn't that solve the light reaching the lower section of the plant problem and give the plant more light in general??

I am very new at this and not super familiar with the growing of plants any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.

Re: Light Placement questions???

Yes, you can do that with CFL's or T8's/T5's ...... it work well like that. But, if you have a HID/MH/HPS light, it wouldn't work out so well. You would have major heat issues. And, you would need to put several of them in there. With the CFL's or floro tubes, it wouldn't be an issue. But, with HID lights, you'd need a ballast for each. And like I said the heat would be awful.

The thing is, you'll probably still want a light up top .... even if you run some long ways down the sides. I personally would put my strongest light up top. Then run CFL's down the sides of the box. I'd put a socket for a CFL about every 8 inches or so. Put a row of CFL's on all four sides of the box. But, keep the LED's up top.

Welcome, Im currently on my first grow ever, using soil and hand watering and 2 led 90watt bulbs. Plants are looking great and healthy. Im on this site daily looking for techniques and advice on how to not mess up my plants and increase yield and so fourth. I was looking at stuff on LST and supercroping and how they made it possible for more light to reach the plants lower leaves and increase light to the whole plant in general. My question is why don't people, or why cant you place lights at plant level facing the plant from a horizontal angle(obviously not so close to harm the plant) wouldn't that solve the light reaching the lower section of the plant problem and give the plant more light in general??

I am very new at this and not super familiar with the growing of plants any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.
I thinking aout this too and could not for the lofe of me find any info heh maybe just brain fart. And rep added to both of you for great questiond and good advise..

Supplemental lighting maybe used by some cfls/T5 are being the best choice.

This adds cost to grow set up & increase in the electric bill.

Also will create warmer temperatures within the growing enviroment leading to is your ventilation suitable to keep the temps down ?

u can use hps at plant level hung vertical but u want to use air cooled tubes. its just like doing a vertical grow. ive done it with success. however if the aim is to just get a little extra light through the canopy , id defoliate and train and get leds as close as poss but not so close as u lose the square foot coverage.

Back
Top Bottom