List of Strains vs. Illnesses?

First off, I am not a med patient, so if that disqualifies me from posting here, please move the thread and let me know. Not living in a MMJ state, I not only do not have that option, but can't ask locals this kind of question (they're actually asking ME!).

Is there a thread around here that lists the various illnesses/diseases/etc. and which strains are most beneficial to those who suffer them? I kind of thought something like that would be a sticky in this forum, but...

I am being asked to provide for several people who have various types of cancer, Crohn's Disease, muscular dystrophy, a few cases of chronic pain (mostly back & arthritis), etc.

Some people have several problems and I can search and find, say, a strain that helps with sever back spasms but that doesn't tell me if the strain is likely to be BAD for another of their ailments, for example.

Also, I am gladdened to read that there is likely some benefit to Alzheimer's Disease as a good friend's best & oldest friend is suffering and she is beside herself from trying to deal with it.

Lastly, someone else in my circle of friends is quite schizophrenic. I have read that MJ can trigger such, but in her case the triggers were more traumatic (quite a list actually). But from reading this, I would assume that some strains are BAD for such a person. I also read quite some time ago that a person suffering this nightmare was helped in many ways through use of MJ. I have also seen in person that a few times my friend has seemed to be helped a great deal (and in fact later said so) but upon other occasions they had "bad reactions." I would guess that would be due to different strains that one gets when dealing with the "baggie dealers."

Thanks!

I'm actually surprised that there isn't one here already.

I am eagerly awaiting its creation - and I also don't expect this to happen overnight. If done correctly it will take a good bit of time and that's AFTER you've gotten together the various reports.

I'm very much hoping that the reports will have been refuted by more than one person (so as to discount any "freak" results) or at least mention if it is from a single one.

I used to have a chart for companion planting of non-MJ plants in gardens that would say "plant abc is helpful for this becuase of <whatever>; don't plant plant xyz because of <whatever>."

Everyone knows that some strains will have stimulating cerebral affects, while others will stomp on you, the age-old "sativa vs. indica" thing. But we are learning more and more that there's a lot more to it than that and the results are a lot more varied - and that there is more at work than just THC / CBD amounts & ratios and with so many different strains, it really is like blindly reaching into a barrel in hopes of pulling out what you are looking for. Even the advertisements generally only say things like "strong, medicating, narcotic, cerebral, relaxing," etc. That's fine for most "pleasure users" - and I could probably find that strain that I once read had "awesome closed-eye visuals and an almost psychedelic trippy affect" that I've been dreaming of lol... but for my friends and the rest of you who are actually depending on this stuff to help you with your ills, that really isn't a good way to go I'm sure.

So I'll gladly read such a report in its first-published stage and keep reading it as it is continually updated by the good members here. It will be much better than me just blindly trying to pick strains for those I care about who suffer and would rather not.

There, I've got that figured out, now if when I figure out which strains are best for which people I can just figure out how to buy the seeds without having to sell what's left of my car to do it lol. Oh well, there's always the lottery <GRIN>.

BtW, "User," I'd like to say THANKS to you and all the other staff members who keep this site going. Being a moderator on other (non-MJ) sites, I know it is a labor of love but there is some labor involved. This is a great site - I'd planned on just ghosting in and reading a few threads as a guest and it seems that I've not only become a member here, I have already posted a few times and will likely be here for the long haul. Now if I can just manage to stay out of trouble lol.

.......BtW, "User," I'd like to say THANKS to you and all the other staff members who keep this site going. Being a moderator on other (non-MJ) sites, I know it is a labor of love but there is some labor involved. This is a great site - I'd planned on just ghosting in and reading a few threads as a guest and it seems that I've not only become a member here, I have already posted a few times and will likely be here for the long haul. Now if I can just manage to stay out of trouble lol.
Your very much welcome! I never planned on sticking around here. Honestly I came there to propagandize politically and accidently got hooked. I look forward to more posts from you.

As for getting in trouble, we run a pretty tight ship compared to some but thats what makes us different. I don't think you need to worry though ;)

Hello,
I am a mmj patient. I go to a dispensary plus I have a private provider. the priovate provider now has 5 strains. This is what I have found. Indica is a good pick for anziety sleeping problems and for back pain etc. Sativa is good to change ones mood. It can also cause some panic reactions in some people depending on strength. A good combination for pain relief would be to take Indica with ones standard pain prescription as the two together will provide much better relief without having to increase the narcotic and hence without the added side effects of an added narcotic. The biggest problem with pain control is having to keep increasing the dose because of tolerance to the narcotic. Cannabis helps delay this in my opinion. Also one gets the added benefit of increased appetite, something important with me right now as I have lost so much weight.

how are your firends medicating? ive noticed that even with a heady bud that eating it will produce much more of a body relaxation along with the cerebral high. eating any type of bud will most likely give more pain relief than smoking.

hi
i also looked for a strain/illness based list, i guess we´ll have to do it ourselves

I suffer from Croh´s disease, and although fortunately it isn´t the worst form, it can still be incredibly painful

Personally I´ve found that with a pure body stone, the pain relief was short live, and with a straight up head stone, i began to feel nauseous.
A 50/50 split or thereabouts works best for me, I get to deal with the pain and also manage to regain my appetite.
For a Crohn´s patient, food-based marijuana isn´t a feasible option for obvious reasons.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom