Lost In The Fog

CraZysWeeD

I'm hoping this will be a true perpetual grow some day.

Those who have followed my test grow of Wish, Alibaba,
China based 6040-F2525 A1 COB know the setup I have been running.

Using 10 piece of this COB led. They are rated at 50W apiece from the supplier.
Have no means to check wall draw or light intensity. They do what they do.
And so far they have more than met my expectations of such a cheap chip.
Going to publish the dry weight when drying is finished.

So now when this first test grow of them is concluded I am moving on and
building up a new light rig. It's going to consist of 2*100W Logic boards from
chilled. They are going to be supported by 4*55W Osram Ledvance light strips.

So while I wait for my Logic boards which will arrive in a week or so I will show
you what I got going for the new light rig. Sorry for the blurpy images, soon my
light is white. :cool:

This is grown in soil and the nutes I'm using is from Canna.

All plants except in the left corner is O.G-Kush from Bulk Seeds. All in different stages.
The potpury in the left corner is Big Bud and Hindu Kush. They are mistreated autos.

Love the fan ducting/system. Very interesting. I don't think I've ever spied anything like it.

You may be hidden in the fog, but I do not think you are lost.

Those who have followed my test grow of Wish, Alibaba,
China based 6040-F2525 A1 COB know the setup I have been running.

Using 10 piece of this COB led. They are rated at 50W apiece from the supplier.
Have no means to check wall draw or light intensity.

If you were my neighbor, I'd overcome the urge to thump you around a little bit for ordering from ChinaBaba (lol) and, instead, let you borrow my Kill A Watt. Be interesting to see how much power they actually consume and if there's a significant variance between the ten of them in that regard.

BtW, are those the ones that are $3.19 each (with free shipping) for the 50-watt ones and state "5 Star Review = More Discount In Next Order" towards the bottom of the page? That's a true sign of seller integrity right there :rolleyes: .

No, wait... I don't think that seller's COBs are blurple. Think they're whitish. How much did yours cost each? Did you have to pay any kind of import fee or tariff? (...and are you located within the US?)

If you were my neighbor, I'd overcome the urge to thump you around a little bit for ordering from ChinaBaba (lol) and, instead, let you borrow my Kill A Watt. Be interesting to see how much power they actually consume and if there's a significant variance between the ten of them in that regard.

BtW, are those the ones that are $3.19 each (with free shipping) for the 50-watt ones and state "5 Star Review = More Discount In Next Order" towards the bottom of the page? That's a true sign of seller integrity right there :rolleyes: .

No, wait... I don't think that seller's COBs are blurple. Think they're whitish. How much did yours cost each? Did you have to pay any kind of import fee or tariff? (...and are you located within the US?)

Haha, I really don't understand why I haven't got one of those Kill A Watts. But I think I never bothered so much what things draw from the outlet. I wish you were my neighbor. And the most of you here for that part. What little I can observe of them pure visually they are all the same and ruffly give the same light and color. The most negative part with them is the heat they give away, wounder if you could cut of the driver on the board and wire to a driver outside the grow space? Pretty fiddly to measure out the board things are really compact on them.

I ordered the cobs out of Wish (european Chinababa?). The 50w cobs was listed as free gift and I only paid for the shipping per cob. Think it was round 30$ for all of them. The timing I got on the order was when northern Europe was having a tsunami of china orders think they peaked on 300.000 orders on one day at that time. The systems collapsed totally in this little country so it slipped trough the customs fee's and taxes.

Love the fan ducting/system. Very interesting. I don't think I've ever spied anything like it.

You may be hidden in the fog, but I do not think you are lost.

Its a work in progress. No I have been thinking of making this system for a while now and finally got to it. I am not happy with the fans yet but it's growing that to. :cool:

Sometimes I feel quite lost, but I found the right forum now! :surf:

I don't know if I'd try separating the individual components. Great idea (did the same thing with "security" HPS and MH lamps 25+ years ago, and with a bunch of CFL bulbs right after they came out), but my vision is poor, my hands are shaky, and my only remaining soldering iron is a 125-watt/250-watt monster from (IIRC) the 1960s, lol. If you're in better shape in all three categories, it might be worth a try with one.

I was trying to think of a way to create some kind of "channel" heatsink for next to nothing that could be boxed in and have a cheap computer-style fan blowing air through and on out of the grow room. Would likely be much more efficient if the inside of such a thing had fins like an actual heatsink - and that's where my mind went blank.

I'll be interested in seeing how those critters perform over the course of your grow. Hopefully, your thread won't get buried in my list of subscribed watched threads. NOT getting the ones with new, unread posts at the top of the list now is kind of annoying. I keep telling myself I'm going to pare my list down in a major way, but so far have only gotten it down to, IDK, 100 to 115 pages. A lot of old ones (obviously) that haven't been posted to in years that I need to bookmark in my browser and turf.

I don't know if I'd try separating the individual components. Great idea (did the same thing with "security" HPS and MH lamps 25+ years ago, and with a bunch of CFL bulbs right after they came out), but my vision is poor, my hands are shaky, and my only remaining soldering iron is a 125-watt/250-watt monster from (IIRC) the 1960s, lol. If you're in better shape in all three categories, it might be worth a try with one.

I was trying to think of a way to create some kind of "channel" heatsink for next to nothing that could be boxed in and have a cheap computer-style fan blowing air through and on out of the grow room. Would likely be much more efficient if the inside of such a thing had fins like an actual heatsink - and that's where my mind went blank.

I'll be interested in seeing how those critters perform over the course of your grow. Hopefully, your thread won't get buried in my list of subscribed watched threads. NOT getting the ones with new, unread posts at the top of the list now is kind of annoying. I keep telling myself I'm going to pare my list down in a major way, but so far have only gotten it down to, IDK, 100 to 115 pages. A lot of old ones (obviously) that haven't been posted to in years that I need to bookmark in my browser and turf.

My vision is real bad to, got to get a pair of shades in the grow room. It's certainly plausibel to hack the cob but the next question is it worth it. Once again I'm down like 500$ on lights and supply to the grow. Happens every month. Wondering if it is an hobby or obsession?

I can se your vision and I have shared it in my mind to. The only thing that pops out in my mind is extruded aluminum and U bent sheet over it.

Yes, there is a lot to cover here and lots of people you want to follow. The local forum I was on 10 - 15 years ago is now complete dead. It's a shame but I think people from where I come from are a bit scared to publish their work. You have to take some time and think and sort that list out some day! :nomo:

If you do the heatsink thing, one thing I remember from working on computers is "micro-sanding" the CPU I mean the back of the COB and the thing you're sticking it to until both pieces have a "mirror" finish before you add your heatsink compound (and using the best of that you can get) will increase the efficiency of the cooling and might net you a few degrees difference.

Sucks to be blind as a bat, huh? I used to spot "pre-flowers" in vegetative phase, now I am lucky to notice when a plant goes shim on me before it ruins the grow. And I can't even read actual books any more, because they don't come with a zoom function, lol. Thank God my local library is on that "eBook" thing and I can download ebooks to read or I'd have hung myself from the nearest tree by now. Talk about obsessions, reading has been mine since I've been three years old.

If you do the heatsink thing, one thing I remember from working on computers is "micro-sanding" the CPU I mean the back of the COB and the thing you're sticking it to until both pieces have a "mirror" finish before you add your heatsink compound (and using the best of that you can get) will increase the efficiency of the cooling and might net you a few degrees difference.

Sucks to be blind as a bat, huh? I used to spot "pre-flowers" in vegetative phase, now I am lucky to notice when a plant goes shim on me before it ruins the grow. And I can't even read actual books any more, because they don't come with a zoom function, lol. Thank God my local library is on that "eBook" thing and I can download ebooks to read or I'd have hung myself from the nearest tree by now. Talk about obsessions, reading has been mine since I've been three years old.

Think I catched that mirror thing the other day if it was here or some else were... Got really super fine sanding paper when I refurbished cars for those 10 years ago again....! But the "mirror" side of my aluminum slate is rather bumpy and uneven.

I still got one eye I can see pretty god at but the other is a disaster. Yeah, one of our great innovations! Ebooks. I like reading to but I can't get myself fixed to a novel it's got to be facts to get me hooked... :hmmmm:

The new light rig have evolved in my head the last days. Going to introduce more passive heat dissipation. I will try to make matching hole patterns on two sheet of aluminum and add copper pipes connecting the sheets. This will probably act as a heat pipe system like the ones on cpu coolers. And conduct the heat from the lower sheet to the upper. This will hopefully almost double the heat dissipation effect.

Hope you can see what i mean with my ms paint skills.

Wanted to upload pics tonight but I get noisia from looking at the blurp pictures. They don't do them justice... The Chilleds arrive on Monday according to UPS tracker. Haven't heard anything from the driver supplier though... Mailed them today. :adore:

How are you liking your Osram LEDvance lights? I read last Spring that Osram sold that entire lamps group ("LEDvance") to a Chinese entity - and that deal was just completed last month, so MLS (Chinese entity) is now the sole owner, AfaIK. One hopes that didn't signal a slow(?) drop in the quality of such products.

This will probably act as a heat pipe system like the ones on cpu coolers. And conduct the heat from the lower sheet to the upper. This will hopefully almost double the heat dissipation effect.

No.

A copper tube does not a heat pipe make. Passive dispassion is achieved through surface area. What exactly are you hoping to achieve with that design? What is your goal? Are you simply trying to keep the lights from burning up? Trying to reduce diode surface temp for efficiency?Struggling to see the need here. If you just want to build it to build it I certainly get it. But there are certainly much more simple and effective ways to hang a couple of lights

Don't real heat-pipe systems require a working fluid? Something that'll evaporate from absorbing the heat from A, then re-condense as it gives up its heat to B, then gravity (et cetera, depending on design and application) returns the now cooled and liquefied substance back to the heat source, A? Rinse/lather/repeat as a constant cycle, of course.

I'd think, due to the small area of the heat sources involved, that if you want to go that route, vapor chambers would be more efficient in terms of heat-removal.

IDK, though. Been a while (years) since I studied gas/fluid dynamics, heat-transfer, et cetera. And it's been a much longer while (decades, lol) since the old gray matter was in an unabused state ;) . I started to look into this stuff via a web-search, but... what can I say, lol? Middle of the night, insomnia... I got off on a tangent and started reading about solar updraft towers and how they can be used to generate electricity - how the technology is "unproven in practice" (in terms of scale) as a large electrical generating device... but even the moderate-scale test builds that were put together shoddily and with poorly-chosen materials in Spain and China were technical successes before they fell apart (the one in Manzanares, Ciudad Real, Spain was built with guy wires that weren't rustproof (FFS!!!), so it collapsed; and the one in Inner Mongolia, China was too short and was poorly designed & constructed with cheap materials) in that they did generate electricity.

Err... So, yeah, IDK, lol.

Hey hey... I'm not going for nobel price here gent's... I'm just going with my own ideas, experiences and what material i got in my own backyard. I know which coolers are best for this job, i just can't manage to pay more in shipment than what the part itself costs.

Why I just used the word "heat pipe" i don't know.

You know new radical ideas and constructions come from people who go the opposite way. And sometimes don't come welcome.

How are you liking your Osram LEDvance lights? I read last Spring that Osram sold that entire lamps group ("LEDvance") to a Chinese entity - and that deal was just completed last month, so MLS (Chinese entity) is now the sole owner, AfaIK. One hopes that didn't signal a slow(?) drop in the quality of such products.

Bummer. @Bonsaiweed convinced me to serial linkage if it was electrically you ment. Pure mechanically this will be done with don't know what you call them over in your part of the world but we say "patent band". Long thin metall sheet on roll with holes in them. Very useful to hang stuff with a bit sturdy as well. Exhaust systems, sewage pipes etc... Bet you have a word for it. :rolleyes:

Hey hey... I'm not going for nobel price here gent's... I'm just going with my own ideas, experiences and what material i got in my own backyard. I know which coolers are best for this job, i just can't manage to pay more in shipment than what the part itself costs.

Why I just used the word "heat pipe" i don't know.

You know new radical ideas and constructions come from people who go the opposite way. And sometimes don't come welcome.

We're not picking on ya, lol, just debating (and, perhaps, trying to help).

don't know what you call them over in your part of the world but we say "patent band". Long thin metall sheet on roll with holes in them. Very useful to hang stuff with a bit sturdy as well. Exhaust systems, sewage pipes etc... Bet you have a word for it. :rolleyes:

Pegboard? No, wait, lol... I sold the stuff for years at a real hardware store. I never did figure out what it was called, officially. Pipe-hanger strap, I suppose. Home Depot (not a hardware store) calls it "Perforated Metal Hanger Straps," and a 100' (30.48m) roll of the stuff is like $13.00 (€10.85).[/USER][/QUOTE]

Bummer. @Bonsaiweed convinced me to serial linkage if it was electrically you ment. Pure mechanically this will be done with don't know what you call them over in your part of the world but we say "patent band". Long thin metall sheet on roll with holes in them. Very useful to hang stuff with a bit sturdy as well. Exhaust systems, sewage pipes etc... Bet you have a word for it. :rolleyes:
I meant serial wiring, not mechanical linkage.

As for these lights, they were built before the buyout, or I believe they were. They are a year old, or so I believe.

I meant serial wiring, not mechanical linkage.

As for these lights, they were built before the buyout, or I believe they were. They are a year old, or so I believe.

Of course. That was what I was trying to tell.

I think you have to have patient with my English. This is not my spoken language. Since I started to write to you guys it was ages since i wrote in your language. :)

Of course. That was what I was trying to tell.

I think you have to have patient with my English. This is not my spoken language. Since I started to write to you guys it was ages since i wrote in your language. :)
Ok, now I'm intrigued......you write well. What is your native language?

Back
Top Bottom