Low volume but quiet fan needed

Balliol

Hey all. I have built a very effecient but small grow cabinet 4 x 2 x 2 feet. I will use full spectrum LED probably. My query is that exhaust fans I am looking at, for quietness and quality like rvk 4", might be too big at 175m3/hr where I think I need perhaps half this. My ducting is about 1 foot long and will have a carbon filter as well.

Should I look at smaller fans around 120m3/hr(not sure which ones) or use say the rvk above and use a control speed to slow it right down. If this is possible.

I really dont want to have an oversized fan running all the time when I only need say half m3 as I am mainly concerned about noise not cost. thanks so much.

Look for a around 250 to 400cfm fan that is noted and designed for quietness.

Hint: A well designed energy efficient one that I know of comes with a built in speed control and remote that is factory mounted inside its duct tube.

With what ever fan you end buying buy a fan that is too large so you can turn it down with a speed control and subsequently lessen its noise.

A good fan to me is like a good light they are a pleasure to own and operate.

Most of those inline fans work good with a ceiling fan speed controller that you can buy almost anywhere. Not a light dimmer tho.

You can get the plastic or metal electrical boxes and a cheap extension cord or plug ends to make a nice little controller for about $20 or buy one at a hydro store for 2 or 3x that.

The speed controller is plugged into the box that switches my 6" inline fan on whenever the heat or humidity reaches the level I set it at. I run it at half speed to keep the noise way down from the howl it makes at full speed and it moves plenty of air in my room that is about 8'x7'x6.5'h.

Exhaust_06.jpg

So that fan you are looking at would probably work great with the speed control.

L8r

Back
Top Bottom