LST In Bigger Pots: Transplanting Question

DrDave1956

I love reading the daily posts here, it's fun to see where you can fit in to help someone or learn something new.

My growing journey began at the beginning of 2020 after I made a few trips to Massachusetts to sample their recreational fare. At $528 an ounce for government weed, I knew there had to be a better way. I began to plan and spent about $500 on a tent, light, exhaust and cooling fans, Zero Water reservoir, pH and EC meters, Peat, Vermiculite, dolomitic lime, gypsum and GH's Flora series of nutes, hypos and other measuring devices. First grow in a 3 gallon pot was easy and unremarkable with no major issues - it yielded 3ozs of quality flower which I was very happy with and so were my friends. Next grow was in a 5 gallon and that yield was about 6 ozs of mid-quality flower as a result of a few pH issues that I screwed up. Today, I'm in a 7 gallon cloth pot, using LST to maximize the canopy and I'm growing organically...no more liquid salts. I'm trying my best to provide an environment that gives the plant everything it needs when it needs it. I do not transplant seedlings. Instead, I plant my peat pellet in its permanent home on or about day 4 or 5 of germination as soon as the tap root emerges from the bottom of the pellet. I believe tap roots are designed to drill as far down as they can go and anchor there, so I'm hoping this technique helps my root mass become as large as possible. I'm hoping to get 12-14 ozs from my current plant. I veged her for 4 full weeks and she has been in flower for exactly 30 days, with about 4 to 5 weeks to go. What do you think? Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

20230214_093805.jpg

20230214_093528.jpg

I love reading the daily posts here, it's fun to see where you can fit in to help someone or learn something new.

My growing journey began at the beginning of 2020 after I made a few trips to Massachusetts to sample their recreational fare. At $528 an ounce for government weed, I knew there had to be a better way. I began to plan and spent about $500 on a tent, light, exhaust and cooling fans, Zero Water reservoir, pH and EC meters, Peat, Vermiculite, dolomitic lime, gypsum and GH's Flora series of nutes, hypos and other measuring devices. First grow in a 3 gallon pot was easy and unremarkable with no major issues - it yielded 3ozs of quality flower which I was very happy with and so were my friends. Next grow was in a 5 gallon and that yield was about 6 ozs of mid-quality flower as a result of a few pH issues that I screwed up. Today, I'm in a 7 gallon cloth pot, using LST to maximize the canopy and I'm growing organically...no more liquid salts. I'm trying my best to provide an environment that gives the plant everything it needs when it needs it. I do not transplant seedlings. Instead, I plant my peat pellet in its permanent home on or about day 4 or 5 of germination as soon as the tap root emerges from the bottom of the pellet. I believe tap roots are designed to drill as far down as they can go and anchor there, so I'm hoping this technique helps my root mass become as large as possible. I'm hoping to get 12-14 ozs from my current plant. I veged her for 4 full weeks and she has been in flower for exactly 30 days, with about 4 to 5 weeks to go. What do you think? Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

20230214_093805.jpg

20230214_093528.jpg
Lovely looking plant you have there DrDave,

I admit that I got a kick out of your post. Your switching over from buying the herb to using that money on growing your own is what probably half the farmers here at 420 have experienced. "Its a great thrill for sure".

Personally, I've played around with several size pots over the years and lately have gone with and will stay with 5 gal size, it just suits my personal needs.

Great to see you have joined 420 and welcome to the club.

Welcome @DrDave1956 !

I find if I veg for 7 weeks I can harvest roughly 8 oz/plant depending on the strain.

That is with three gallon fabric bags of ProMix HP and Mega Crop one part fertilizer.

My current grow is 5 gallon bags....

Your grow and training is looking good but if you want to increase your yields you might want to consider vegging longer !

What strain are you growing ?

Cheers

20230214_093805.jpg

20230214_093528.jpg
A 7 gal. pot might yield 12 - 14 oz. if you veg about 7-8 weeks. The most I've ever gotten from a 5 gal. cloth pot was a little over 12 oz. Only happened once in a cloth pot. Now if you go to a SIP (sub irrigation planter) container you get much larger yields. I've pulled over a pound per plant consistently using the SIP's. It makes a huge difference.
Very nice looking plant though & it does look like an 8-10 oz. plant by my guestimation. I think the average grow in a 5 gal. fabric pot is about 6-8 oz. The 7 gal. pot wont help unless you veg longer to fill that extra area with more roots. As the saying goes.... More Roots = More Fruits.

Lovely looking plant you have there DrDave,

I admit that I got a kick out of your post. Your switching over from buying the herb to using that money on growing your own is what probably half the farmers here at 420 have experienced. "Its a great thrill for sure".

Personally, I've played around with several size pots over the years and lately have gone with and will stay with 5 gal size, it just suits my personal needs.

Great to see you have joined 420 and welcome to the club.
Gary, it's good to know I found a place filled with good folks to learn from and hopefully I'll be able to contribute and help as well. Thanks for the comments and have a great day.

Welcome @DrDave1956 !

I find if I veg for 7 weeks I can harvest roughly 8 oz/plant depending on the strain.

That is with three gallon fabric bags of ProMix HP and Mega Crop one part fertilizer.

My current grow is 5 gallon bags....

Your grow and training is looking good but if you want to increase your yields you might want to consider vegging longer !

What strain are you growing ?

Cheers
I'm growing LA Confidential. I understand about the longer veg and larger yield, thank you. I'll adjust my veg duration after calculating the dry weight of my upcoming harvest. In cloth, one thing I do notice is the sides dry out too quickly. I think it's time for some Bluemat spikes. Have a good one.

A 7 gal. pot might yield 12 - 14 oz. if you veg about 7-8 weeks. The most I've ever gotten from a 5 gal. cloth pot was a little over 12 oz. Only happened once in a cloth pot. Now if you go to a SIP (sub irrigation planter) container you get much larger yields. I've pulled over a pound per plant consistently using the SIP's. It makes a huge difference.
Very nice looking plant though & it does look like an 8-10 oz. plant by my guestimation. I think the average grow in a 5 gal. fabric pot is about 6-8 oz. The 7 gal. pot wont help unless you veg longer to fill that extra area with more roots. As the saying goes.... More Roots = More Fruits.
Thanks Buddy...a subirrigation pot, that's what I'll research and look for, thank you so much! The 7 gallon pot takes about 6 liters of water every 2 days during week 4 of flower, so I'm curious how the SIP will work, thanks again for that info. Stay safe and well.

Thanks Buddy...a subirrigation pot, that's what I'll research and look for, thank you so much! The 7 gallon pot takes about 6 liters of water every 2 days during week 4 of flower, so I'm curious how the SIP will work, thanks again for that info. Stay safe and well.
Look up SIP club on this site & you'll see what we do.

Back
Top Bottom