Lush Lighting LED Grow Questions! Ask Us Almost Anything!

I don't like to read something is designed specifically for a specific plant. It is not possible. No science knows this. Not that specific.
That troubles me. Even you say you have no resources saying which spectrum is specific for growing cannabis, but you advertise it is designed specifically for it.

I'm fine with it, but I'm not a pro grower here and do not need that kind of light. It is beautiful and I am loving what LA is doing, but the marketing leaves something to be desired and that has absolutely no reflection on anyone using this light in their grow journals. I'm forever grateful to LA for his dedication to all his 420 friends. You have a very nice man representing you.

Just please don't make marketing claims if they are not completely true and has evidence to back it up.

It is beautiful and I am loving what LA is doing, but the marketing leaves something to be desired and that has absolutely no reflection on anyone using this light in their grow journals. I'm forever grateful to LA for his dedication to all his 420 friends. You have a very nice man representing you.

LA uses Budmaster, KingJohnC is the Lush sponsored grower on 420, he's got about $3500 worth of lighting in his tent. He uses the Dominator 2X & four Lumenator 2x as the Dominator 2X wasn't cutting the mustard on its own :)

My Grow Bay #1 measures 6'4" L x 6'6" W x 6" H and would have require 2x Lush Lighting Dominator 2x's to properly illuminate my grow area. The reason why the 3x Lush Lighting Lumenator 2x's were added to my Grow Bay #1 is my plants grew so vigorously under the 1x Lush Lighting Dominator 2x during flower I was not able to place the top 8"-12" of the 3x AK48 #3's directly under the Lush Lighting Dominator 2x due to their height. The 3x Lush Lighting Lumenator 2x's were added around the outside of the grow area angled and focused on the top 2' of each AK48 #3. I initially telephoned Matt Johnson at Lush Lighting with the idea I would have to either tie the tops of each AK48 #3 down or have to Supper Crop the top colas of each AK48 #3 to allow placement under the 1x lush Lighting Dominator 2x and Matt suggested placing 2-3 Lush Lighting Lumenator 2x's angled towards the top colas that were not being properly illuminated due to their height to allow proper flowering bud development. The 3x Lush Lighting Lumenator 2x's that are angled and focused on each AK48 #3 have greatly increased bud development and trichome production on the previously unlit colas. I try to record every detail in my Grow Journal and Reviews to give a fair evaluation of the 420 Magazine sponsor featured products. It is my belief that a person who by following the steps I take in my Grow Journal and Reviews, uses the same equipment with similar grow area conditions and has good seeds with good cannabis genetics will be able to reproduce my successes.

Woop! I am very sorry about that John. In that case, I can say the exact same of you. Lush Lighting has a very good man representing them. I got the two mixed up. I do that. SEE!

Now, there would never be a time in my life, not this lifetime would I ever spend 3500 dollars on lights to grow pot in my closet. There would never be any reason for that, ever. The only people who may benefit by these extraordinarily priced, high end lights are professional growers with a very tight time scale. In that case, I can see if the lights perform to speed the crop, time and space is money in a growing operation.

I simply still can't justify the price of these vs. any other. I can buy 35 x 48*3LED panels for 3500 dollars and I'd light up a lot more than a cab or tent with them.

That's my point exactly. If they grew a far superior product & a much improved harvested weight then there may be cause to consider them but I just don't see it.
KJC is doing a great grow with them but it is his growing knowledge that produces great results, the lights are only part of it. Give him a room full of TopLED or GreenSun lights & he'd do the same with them.
To me the premium price is not justified in any way & I, along with 99% of the growers on 420, just don't have that much money to throw around.

I'm no pro, but it seems it takes 4 to 5 months to get a start to finish product(bud). With that said are you(Lush Lighting) willing to do a 6month money back? Then I would be better able to see the great results and feel confident in ordering more of these pricey lights. Thanks for your time. Also I can supply pics of my current grow to prove I can grow.

Hey Lush LED...

Thank you for being a sponsor of 420 Magazine and supporting the community.

I had a few questions that I didn't find answers to on your website.

What brand of LED drivers do LUSH use in the lights?

What brand LED chips are used in the LED lights?

Do you have any thermal readings of the operating case temperature of the Lush Lights? (like operating temp at the top middle, sides of the light while on?)

On your website, it seems that your coverage/footprint of the rectangular lights seems to be square. From my experience, generally the light footprint is similar to the shape of the LED panels (even thought diodes produce a round footprint) , the optimal lighting area is directly under the diodes due to the chip angles and lenses. So do you really find that your rectangular lights provide on optimal square coverage area? or are the charts listed and footprints on your website more for general reference?

I ask these questions only because I didn't find the info on the website and these are the types of questions I would want to know as a consumer.

Icemud, excellent questions! Thank you!

1. Drivers & LEDs - We use specially manufactured high-intensity drivers and a mix of several manufacturers chips.

2. Nope. No thermal readings. Why? Not a darn one of us ever thought of it before. That's a FANTASTIC idea and we're getting R&D on that immediately. Many thanks!

3. They are fairly accurate. They do a good job of covering the recommended footprint, and yes there may be a little extra light. But basically, because of the angles of the diodes, etc, the best most usable light is in the square created at the recommended distance. The light out of the short end of the fixture is basically going straight down, and then along the width it spreads more/quicker, creating the square. Straight up, I had to ask my boss this, and he diagrammed it all out for me on a Post-It. Hopefully I understood it correctly!

I don't like to read something is designed specifically for a specific plant. It is not possible. No science knows this. Not that specific.
That troubles me. Even you say you have no resources saying which spectrum is specific for growing cannabis, but you advertise it is designed specifically for it.

I'm fine with it, but I'm not a pro grower here and do not need that kind of light. It is beautiful and I am loving what LA is doing, but the marketing leaves something to be desired and that has absolutely no reflection on anyone using this light in their grow journals. I'm forever grateful to LA for his dedication to all his 420 friends. You have a very nice man representing you.

Just please don't make marketing claims if they are not completely true and has evidence to back it up.

Well... we advertise it's designed specifically for it because... it is. We didn't test our lights on cucumbers or mangos. We started off with fairly standard LED panels. And again, we took the crazy ideas people have about light and growing cannabis, we tweaked our lights, and we tested the cannabis. We kept the things that worked. We kept doing this until we were satisfied enough that we had something special. That is completely true, and I can back it up.

You say I have no resources saying which spectrum is specific for growing cannabis. Well, there are some things that are still known and provable again and again and again.And again since we tested and experimented with ideas that people have kicked around about growing cannabis, we definitely went out on some limbs. Any results we would have from that testing have had a direct effect on how we make the lights, and therefore would be proprietary...

Proprietary describes a technology or product that is owned exclusively by a single company that carefully guards knowledge about the technology or the product's inner workings.. Microsoft is often held up as the best example of a company that takes the proprietary approach. It should be observed that the proprietary approach is a traditional approach. Throughout history, the knowledge of how an enterprise makes its products has usually been guarded as a valuable secret and such legal devices as the patent, trademark, and copyright were invented to protect a company's intellectual property.

What I can provide proof of: Lots and lots of happy customers with happy plants. Whether or not you believe in our company, you will be hard pressed to find a fellow grower ("pro" or not) who is not extremely satisfied. KingJohn is not the exception, but the rule. And everything about growing plants except for HOW we got to our specific spectrum that we find grows awesome cannabis. You see, it's not like we created a whole new field of study. We just took a massive amount of known things and tried a couple of new things. We just thought outside the box a little.

Lastly, for the record, I would think as a small grower you would need the light more then a large scale grower like KJC. Why would you not want your plants to grow to their full potential? Why would you not want to maximize the limited space available to you by using the very best light possible? If I could only grow one plant, and had to keep it down to a certain size, I would certainly want it to be as potent and flavorful as possible.

Icemud, excellent questions! Thank you!

1. Drivers & LEDs - We use specially manufactured high-intensity drivers and a mix of several manufacturers chips.

2. Nope. No thermal readings. Why? Not a darn one of us ever thought of it before. That's a FANTASTIC idea and we're getting R&D on that immediately. Many thanks!

3. They are fairly accurate. They do a good job of covering the recommended footprint, and yes there may be a little extra light. But basically, because of the angles of the diodes, etc, the best most usable light is in the square created at the recommended distance. The light out of the short end of the fixture is basically going straight down, and then along the width it spreads more/quicker, creating the square. Straight up, I had to ask my boss this, and he diagrammed it all out for me on a Post-It. Hopefully I understood it correctly!

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. Not exactly the specifics I was looking for, but I do appreciate your response and quick support!

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. Not exactly the specifics I was looking for, but I do appreciate your response and quick support!

Haha, I don't know how quick I am... but thank you!

As far as question #1, I can't really answer much further. #2, I will be sure to post those readings as soon as I can get them from the lab (I liked saying that, it made me feel like a famous rapper or scientist...)... #3, If you can be more specific, I can attempt to translate from genius again. I'm afraid the problem there may lay in the fact that my boss is seriously crazy smart.

I'm no pro, but it seems it takes 4 to 5 months to get a start to finish product(bud). With that said are you(Lush Lighting) willing to do a 6month money back? Then I would be better able to see the great results and feel confident in ordering more of these pricey lights. Thanks for your time. Also I can supply pics of my current grow to prove I can grow.

Barrel, I know we have a 90 money back policy. However, I will shoot this question by my boss tomorrow, and let you know exactly what he says. :thumb:

I want to thank Lush for being a sponser to this wonderfull site.

Thanks Dusty! We think this is a pretty wonderful site and we also very strongly believe in reinvesting in the cannabis community as much as we possibly can. And personally, I like you guys. You're all pretty awesome, and even the tough questions are good questions. AND KING JOHNS PICS OMG.

Thank you Sam. The cost of setting up is already very high, so seeing a more confident money back would be enough for me to really seriously way this out. For all of us I think cost is a very heavy factor in determining what we buy, but you also have to weigh out results versus cost. Thank you again for being a sponsor and for addressing all the questions:)

Regarding Crawdaddys basic cost analysis: You say you doubt that the Dominator costs us more than $500.00 to make. For one, I don't know that bottom line cost. I suspect however from my own quick market research that it's actually much more than that. For every option I chose the highest quality parts, because I know that's what we use. Also, in general, the cost of physically manufacturing an item is only a small fraction of the total cost a retail-end consumer will pay. Everything other than the physical manufacture of the lights happens right here in Michigan, USA. You get your light from Michigan. We do quality assurance here, engineering, research & development... and so on. That all impacts the cost. And American employees are not cheap... heck, I'm not cheap! :) In the future we would like to make it viable to shift manufacture to the United States.

SO I have been meaning to respond, but been 'gone' for a month.

So here is where I came up with less then $500....

Diodes, on digikey the MOST expensive Cree diode in the X-Lamp XT-E category is $2.54 and that is buying single qtys, so lets say you are paying $2 a piece, a VERY high estimate. 200 of them in the dominator so that $400

PCB board/Power supplier/fans/ etc, all these items are VERY cheap when bought in Qty, so let's say $25 per light...

Case is just a piece of metal/glass, once again cheap when bought in Qty.

So materials are 400+25+25= ~$450

Since light built in China, and wages are VERY cheap there, probably less then $50 in labor. AS an example I work for a company that could easily assemble these lights, we estimated a Advanced DS200 would be about two hours total build time.

So that is where I am getting less then $500 a light while you selling for more then $1000

Am I missing anything or totally off in my assumptions?

Haha, I don't know how quick I am... but thank you!

As far as question #1, I can't really answer much further. #2, I will be sure to post those readings as soon as I can get them from the lab (I liked saying that, it made me feel like a famous rapper or scientist...)... #3, If you can be more specific, I can attempt to translate from genius again. I'm afraid the problem there may lay in the fact that my boss is seriously crazy smart.

Why can't you share the brand of the led chips you use? This isn't really proprietary information, not asking for the ratios, or chip counts, just what brands...(if your not using Cree, Lumiled, Nichia or OSRAM, then I might know why you don't want to share that info)...

as far as my question #3...about footprint..does Lush plan on doing PAR readings per footprint charts like a lot of other brands do? This would answer my question exactly as far as what coverage does each light provide.

Thanks again for your response...

P8260088.JPG
P8260089.JPG
P8260090.JPG
P8260083.JPG
P8260082.JPG

Does this help Sam?

Back
Top Bottom